cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift + Hydra + Fishing. Good Idea?

Tankshell
Protege
Hi all,

So I have been mulling over some ideas for my first Rift ready project and have come to the following decisions:

• Fishing game. Think similar to how fishing worked in the 3D Zelda games, you get a rod, a boat and can freely fish.

• Slow paced/relaxing atmosphere.

• Hydras used to simulate rowing your boat around the water. One Hydra for each oar.

• Once you have found a good spot to stop, Hydra then simulates a fishing rod, one for the actual rod (position, angle, movement etc) and the other for reeling in the line (imagine moving the hydra in a circular motion).

• Obviously complete freelook using the Rift at all times.

• Small but highly detailed, beautiful lake environment, some nice water shaders & simulation.

• Possibly have the ability to get out of the boat and walk around the banks of the lake also.

• Some sort of serene music playing in the background.

Will keep this thread up to date with my progress.
2500k@4.5Ghz EVGA 780Ti SC 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Win 8.1 x64
5 REPLIES 5

TraumaHound
Honored Guest
I love this idea. I'm not into fishing, but that kind of chilled out atmosphere sounds great for VR. A good ambient soundscape will go a long way; birds chirping, wavelets lapping against the boat, etc.

peteclarkelondon
Honored Guest
That sounds fantastic. I agree that something that chilled out sounds fantastic, my favourite experiences so far (Heli and First Law) have nice ambient sound effects and great immersion. The slow movement of a rowing boat through water sounds great (in fact that would make a fantastic game / experience in it's own right, such is the power of the Rift!). Would love to see how you get on with this and would happily back something like this. I used to play the Sega fishing game (Get Bass) with the rod attachment on an 8 foot screen with the Dreamcast, and it was so relaxing and so much fun...on the rift it could be sensational 😄

Vaerraent
Honored Guest
Sounds like some great relaxation material, though I'd likely give in to the temptation to add a Bill Dance-type 'accident' after a timer, were I in your position. Imagine - you're lying down, relaxing in the Rift after a long day at work and after 20 peaceful minutes... BAM! You hit your head on a branch and fall out the boat. The prospect has some small, mischievous part of me giggling with glee.

Tgaud
Honored Guest

boone188
Honored Guest
I would LOVE to see this become a reality. Fishing is one of my favorite hobbies. Fishing in Ocarina Of Time was one of my favorite video game experiences. It could work really well with the Hydra.