cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Player

stephanelx
Honored Guest
Hello,

I have been working on VR Player in my spare time since the end of last year. It's my first open source contribution and I hope that it will help the adoption of virtual reality technologies.

VR Player is an experimental Virtual Reality Media Player for Head-Mounted Display devices like the Oculus Rift.

It's still an early alpha but I decided to distribute it anyways to get as much feedback as possible to make it a better product.

I upload the latest version here: http://vrplayer.codeplex.com/

Short term roadmap

*Oculus rift support
*Leap motion support
*Dynamic depth map
*Vrpn integration
*XMP metadata support
*Position trackers for using with the rift: IrTracker, ARToolkit
*Plugin system
*UI improvements

If you have other suggestions, ideas, bugs etc, please do not hesitate to contact me!

-Stephane
293 REPLIES 293

MrGeddings
Explorer
so it basically will allow us to view those 3D side by side pictures and videos using the Rift in 3D? that would be awesome!
hopefully youll have a wide range of codecs support like flash/mp4 divx etc would be nice.

That would be awesome if you get it working right might tempt me to get that 3d camera on amazon is saw for not a bad price while i wait for the Rift :-).

Will it correctly warp the video/images to be viewed correctly on the rift? This is really great. while due to the low res of the dev kit it wont be perfect it would be a nice little plus for those of us (like me) who do not have 3d moniters yet :-D.

Great stuff!

Edit: a little confusing at first perhaps in time with the Oculus Rift you can have a spacific setting so it sets up everything to work with the Rift and ...perhaps options for it with the 3d side by side video and photos 😉 first start but im sure it will be great 😉 thanks!

stephanelx
Honored Guest
Hello MrGeddings,

hopefully youll have a wide range of codecs support like flash/mp4 divx etc would be nice.

If you install a good codec pack, you should be able to play/stream about any kind of video. Usually, if you can play a video in windows media player, it should be playable in VR Player.

Will it correctly warp the video/images to be viewed correctly on the rift? This is really great.

You have control over the field of view, the distance between each eyes, and the amount of lenses distortion. I don't know if it will be enough to get a good result but as soon as I receive my dev kit, I will do my best to tweak the settings and add missing features.

That would be awesome if you get it working right might tempt me to get that 3d camera on amazon is saw for not a bad price while i wait for the Rift

Personally, I would wait before bying a 3d camera because of the low resolution, I don't know if this will ruin the 3d effect. :?

a little confusing at first perhaps in time with the Oculus Rift you can have a spacific setting so it sets up everything to work with the Rift

This is definitely on my todo list! The xmp meta data will also help to avoid confusion by automatically changing the settings related to the media (type of projection, mono/stereo format, etc). As an example, when loading a strereoscopic spherical video with over/under disposition, the player will select the right options.

Thank you for the feedback 🙂

XavierMidnight
Honored Guest
Thanks for this. I've been following along with your project. It took me a minute to discover the view settings were hiding under the question mark.
I ripped an avatar 3d sidebyside trailer from youtube.
Set my options to plane, side , and pincushion.
And set the viewport to -100, which seems just about perfect.

The closer your move the video to your face, or lower the fov, the bigger the 3d effect.
The 3d was just slightly less than what you get from a good 3D tv. That may be due to the fact that you want to move the video as close to your face as possible, but then you start cutting off what is intended to be your main viewing area.
So, if you film something 3d, make sure you have a lot of extra space around your scene.
Also, since movies are filmed with not everything in focus. it's not going to be as good as a game. Since in a game, everything is in focus all the time, so you can look at anything you want, not just what they want you to.
Tracking will be cool, similar to the theater example someone posted on youtube.
Good work, it shouldn't take you much to polish it off once you have a rift to view it with.

Off to find some 360 videos to try out the other modes. Do you have any good video examples I should try?

stephanelx
Honored Guest
Thank you very much for the description. Very useful and reassuring.

For video content, Fredz from MTBS forum has made a very nice listing of 360 and 3D videos:
http://vr.wikinet.org/wiki/Main_Page#Videos

These ones look particularly good :
http://makingview.no/makingview.com/?page_id=41

It took me a minute to discover the view settings were hiding under the question mark.

Yeah sorry.. :oops: I will create a Settings menu or something more intuitive to edit the configurations.
You can also edit more parameters in the .config file but a lot of things will change because I would like to have individual configs for each plugins. This will allow you to install VR Player with only the trackers projections and effects that you intend to use.

XavierMidnight
Honored Guest
Thanks,
I pulled down a couple of the 360 vids, and tried them in cylinder mode, and they seemed to work pretty well. The 3D 360 vid I tried was incredibly low res, which kindof killed the 3D effect.
When you add the rift tracking in there, it should be pretty cool.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Looks interesting, but I was having trouble getting the image looking good on the Rift. Seems there should be some options for adjusting the stereo overlap, as I just wasn't able to merge the images together and get the picture in focus. But still, it looks promising.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Sebbi
Honored Guest
Hi there,

I tried out your VR Player and I am impressed. Would it be possible to playback live video from a webcam or other connected cameras (like a videograbber)?

When my Rift kit arrives I want to try out if the latency is good enough for FPV flying. Being able to move around in a projected video (i tested with some FPV GoPro videos from my flights) could be an awesome FPV experience, even if the camera itself isn't moving on the airplane/copter (I have a gimbal on my copter so this could be used for headtracking supported camera movement).

stephanelx
Honored Guest
For cybereality:

Seems there should be some options for adjusting the stereo overlap, as I just wasn't able to merge the images together and get the picture in focus.

Thank you, this is some thing I am looking forward to try when I receive the rift.
What feature would would you like to see to improve the focus? Do you think that being able to move images would be enough?

For Sebbi:
Would it be possible to playback live video from a webcam or other connected cameras (like a videograbber)?

It would be possible but this is not something I was planning to do short term.
In the mean while, maybe it can be achieved via a windows media live stream but I did not try it yet.
Medium term, I will probably add custom directshow graph support. This will cover a lot of media inputs.
Long term, the best will be to detect available devices.

wylde
Honored Guest
love this idea.

is there any way to zoom out? every vid I try is crazy zoomed in.