New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Tron Light Cycles

DarthDisembowelDarthDisembowel Posts: 110
Art3mis
edited May 2015 in Showcase
UPDATE
Fixed head tracking lag
Highlighted edges of ramps for better visibility
Fixed AI avoidance
Smoothed physics issues
Added title screen and space for health and safety warning

Win32, Win64, Mac, and Linux (Mac and Linux completely untested)
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/z8wqakgewh59e/TRON
https://share.oculusvr.com/app/tron-light-cycles

Based on the TRON: Legacy film, this game pays tribute to the light cycle arena sequence. There are two levels with connecting ramps. One AI opponent at a time will continuously respawn on death.

Pretty simple and straightforward for now; just try and cut off the AI opponent with your light trails.

Controls (gamepad/keyboard):
Right trigger or W or Up arrow = speed up
Left trigger or S or Down arrow = slow down
Start or R = respawn
Back or Space= recenter view
D-Pad left/right or Q and E = change light cycle color

Known issues:
After a while the head tracking starts to lag for some reason (if anyone has any ideas why, please let me know)
Physics can start to get iffy after awhile, possibly due to distance from center of the world.

Future plans:
Scoreboard
Mulitplayer
Multiple AI
Disc jousting/slashing
Maybe a "Classic" mode using the original bikes and 90-degree turns

Comments

• Lurch666Lurch666 Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    Very nice.Bike are a little slow even at top speed and would prefer it if the light trails were infinite but great fun.
    Noticed that sometimes enemies seem to get stuck on a outer wall and seem to turn into a bright point of light (maybe stuck in an explosion).
  • TanshinTanshin Posts: 13
    This is a really good reproduction of light cycles. I had a blast taking out the competition. but like above, around the second or third AI, they will get stuck and stop moving.

Awesome so far!!
  • DarthDisembowelDarthDisembowel Posts: 110
    Art3mis
    Yeah sorry about that,it's a physics glitch I had solved for the ramps but neglected to apply to the walls. Just reset with Start when it happens, they usually manage to avoid the walls. Be sure to avoid the walls yourself since the same bug applies to the player's bike as well.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,707 Oculus Staff
    Looks like fun.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • vrcovervrcover Posts: 209
    Brain Burst
    Love the graphics. I think this art style works very well with the Oculus. Especially in the beginning when FPS will matter a lot.
  • gibrangibran Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Very cool! Arena has a nice grand feel to it and the lightcycles look great.

Only strange thing - if I turn my head too quickly, I see a black space while the graphics work to catch up (i.e. if I snap my head to the right, I see a chunk of black space in the right-most area of my visual field). Sometimes this is accompanied by a little bounce, where the visual field overcompensates by going over where I looked and then bouncing back (i.e. if I snap my head up, the visual field will go too far up, then bounce back to the proper location)

. I'm running on a GTX 970 so I don't think my hardware is the issue, but obviously could be wrong on that. Anyone else getting this?
    Art3mis
    Yeah, that's what I meant by the head tracking lag. I admit I'm a little baffled by that one. It only happens after playing for several minutes, so the workaround is to relaunch the application for now.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on that. Profiling hasn't turned anything up so far. I'll try scrapping the OVR setup and start from scratch.
  • Yeah I've noticed that lag in other Unity demos as well. It starts when you reload the level right? Dying or pressing Start causes me to lag reaaaal bad
    DK2: Processing. 9:51AM
  • costersallcostersall Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Another silky smooth demo, thanks again! Hope you are still working on Endor ;)
    Art3mis
    Thrillhouse900: Yeah I think you're right; if I spam the Start button I start to get the head lag immediately. I can't seem to find any topics about this so far, but I'm still looking. The only case with similar symptoms seems to be related to DX11, but I'm not sure why reloading the level magnifies it, and I need DX11 for the shaders.

Costersall: yes, I will continue working on BOF, I just needed a little change of pace, plus a friend of mine challenged me to see who could develop a new game faster (him in Unreal and myself in Unity). :)
  • jayohjayoh Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    YES
    i'm building STV.RE
  • SneerSneer Posts: 11
    jayoh wrote:
    YES

Pretty much agree.
  • WirelineWireline Posts: 1,203
    gibran wrote:
    Very cool! Arena has a nice grand feel to it and the lightcycles look great.

Only strange thing - if I turn my head too quickly, I see a black space while the graphics work to catch up (i.e. if I snap my head to the right, I see a chunk of black space in the right-most area of my visual field). Sometimes this is accompanied by a little bounce, where the visual field overcompensates by going over where I looked and then bouncing back (i.e. if I snap my head up, the visual field will go too far up, then bounce back to the proper location)

. I'm running on a GTX 970 so I don't think my hardware is the issue, but obviously could be wrong on that. Anyone else getting this?

I'm no expert by any means but when I have had that before it has been because timewarp is active but my frame rate has dropped to something very low. As timewarping (IIUC) is a "copying, warping and pasting" of the current frame, extrapolated to where it thinks you will be in a few milliseconds, if it cant get a recent enough frame it runs out of 'picture' to deal with. The result is those black smears. I get it really badly with DCOC and Prepar3d :( The only solution appears to be framerate, though it does seem weird given your hardware. Maybe something is throttling graphics performance for some people?

Of course if I am totally off the money, apologies :) I know there are many much bigger brainages around here
    Art3mis
    Added keyboard controls:
    WASD or arrows for throttle and steering
    Q and E for cycling colors
    R to restart
    Space to recenter view

Thanks Wireline, I will check out the timewarp. Though it is still weird that I only have this problem in this game, and that it increases with every respawn.
  • zbufferVRzbufferVR Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Really fun !
    I do like the Tron Legacy setup so glad you implemented that :)
    Looking around to chase the AI is perfect in VR. And the models for body+vehicle are great !

Suggestions for improvements, most important ones first :
    - ingame restart indeed adds "view chasing" latency, I hope you will be able to find why is it the case :( I do not have real advice, apart from watching out if vsync and/or triple buffering and/or swap chain is enabled only when re-starting ? It is like rendering was buffering more frames, and time warp corrects it so the tracking itself does not lag.
    - could the game wait 10 to 20 seconds before starting the lightcycle ? I had times where I could not even avoid the AI due to the screen being covered by that infamous warning I saw waaaay too many times :/ (of course if restart did not introduce latency, I would not be a problem hehe)
    - ramps are very hard to take correctly, in the distance they are almost invisible, maybe more contrasted edges would help ?
    - ground texture seem too blurry in the distance, can you force at least 8x Aniso Level?
    - not very important, but the control panel of the cycle could benefit from a higher resolution texture. Of course, in game one can not really spend time looking at it :)

Is it DK1 compatible ? If you could implement local network multiplayer, we would have a lot of fun playing at home with the DK1 and the DK2 on our 2 computers !!!
    Art3mis
    Thanks zbuffervr! :)

I'm hoping that fortune smiles on me and that the new sdk will magically fix everything, but I'm not counting on it and I hope to have time this weekend to debug it.

I intend to put in a splash screen on first launch, including a space to display the health warning so it doesn't interfere with the game.

I agree about the ramps,and I plan to highlight the edges much more clearly.

I need to double check the anisotropic settings;I had set them to maximum but I did notice the blurriness recently, and suspect they might have reverted to default values at some point.

At some point I will definitely update the dashboard of the bike, as I want to add a minimap and working speed gauge to it.

This works fine on DK1. I actually started developing it on my DK1, and my DK2 arrived halfway through. I do hope to make this an online multiplayer game, though I've only managed a split screen so far. I had actually been thinking of selling my DK1 until you reminded me I can use it to test MP.
  • sleep0holicsleep0holic Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I don't know why but I can't seem to get it to open on the oculus :(
  • Still cant get the controls to work on the PC?!? Anyone?
  • ChrizChriz Posts: 9
    Controls not working for me. No keyboard input.
  • TaserTaser Posts: 12
    I don't know why but I can't seem to get it to open on the oculus :(

Tried pressing Windows Key+Left Shift+Left or Right Arrow?
    Chriz wrote:
    Controls not working for me. No keyboard input.
    Still cant get the controls to work on the PC?!? Anyone?

Did you use the download links at the top of this thread? A link to an older version might have still been available somewhere before it was updated. My initial download didn't have any keyboard response either. I re-installed an updated version and it's definitely working now.
    DarthDisembowel, another really great effort here. Captures the authenticity very well indeed. Changing the bike's colour was a nice touch. As already said, the ramps are almost invisible until you're almost upon them. I think that's due in part to the limits in resolution, but highlighting the ramps would help a lot. Not sure whether it's worth your while putting in a difficulty level further on down the line. One for newbies, to be able adjust to the heightened sense of motion as I think this version does, and perhaps another for more hard core racers who want more speed and longer light cycle trails.
    Art3mis
    Yes, please use the links at the top of the first thread for the latest versions. It tends to take a while to go through the submission process on the Oculus Share site, so I always provide a link to MediaFire for the latest versions.

I will be updating the version tonight; I fixed the head lag issue and added clear edge highlights for the ramps which make them much easier to see. I'm just going to try to throw in a quick splash screen and a space for the health and safety warning before submitting.

As for the longer trails, it is actually a performance issue; I just did a quick test by doubling the trail length, but I lose 10 fps in framerate, so until I find a more efficient way to do this, it's not worth the cost in performance.
    Art3mis
    Updated all versions on MediaFire and resubmitted to Oculus Share (will take a few days to go through the validation process on the Share site).

I added a quick splash screen on first launch (press Start on gamepad or Space on keyboard to start game) including a space for the health and safety warning.

I fixed the head lag bug, added a landing sound effect after a jump, fixed some AI avoidance issues, smoothed out some physics issues, doubled the maximum speed, and highlighted the edges of the ramps and ramp openings for better visibility.
    Excellent improvements. The newly highlighted ramps have now been turned into opportunities rather than hazards. The increase in speed is much better, the noise during acceleration, and the noise that the bike makes at different speeds hasn't gone unnoticed either. That, combined with the pounding soundtrack, really takes care of the audio side of things. That feeling of banking the bike really hard, whilst looking back at your own light cycle trail is sensational. The longer the cycle trails in my view, the less the need for an actual opponent, so I think the trail length that you currently now have in relation to the size of the arena is getting pretty well balanced as it is. Again in my view, it would make for a longer, more entertaining game in multiplayer anyway, rather than being over too soon. Plus, it negates the need to impinge upon the frame unnecessarily. You're making a habit of surpassing yourself. ;)
    DarthDisembowel, thought I should point out that there's a hole in the upper level. Doing a direct 180 degree turn from the starting position, it's around the ramp that's positioned towards the opposite side of the arena on the left as you're approaching the far side. The bike falls through the same spot every time. Also, I'm curious as to what frame rate you're getting on this current version. I'm getting around 60-61 fps. If you're still getting 75 fps with the longer trails, then I'll have to make adjustments to my own system.
  • zbufferVRzbufferVR Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Great improvements in this last version ! The title "screen" is super nice, and the lag gone yoohoo !
    That feeling of banking the bike really hard, whilst looking back at your own light cycle trail is sensational
    Exactly ! And going super fast on the ramps allow you to really fly, it provides a very nice feeling.

The ramps are now almost too easy to see :D ... In the film I think that the there are highlights only on the actual edges, and not between the horizontal upper ground and the part that goes down. Not sure if I am clear, but the top highlight should not make a full square.

About the texture filtering : it now looks like proper 16x aniso, but I see that even in the "fantastic" setting, it is only bilinear filtering instead of trilinear. As the view is really near the ground, trilinear would really improve the aniso filtering.

No real framerate issues, the game is quite smooth with my oldish GTX 460M.

I also spent some time in the "afterdeath" camera, trying to chase the AI to see the models better : would it be possible to make that cam not collide with any cycle trail ?

Even if the current AI is not hard to beat, this game is already plenty of fun. With multiplayer, it would be a real blast !

Edit: a minor nitpick, when pressing start button on title screen, the wireframe sphere fades in (great !) then on my machine the images freezes for a second without head tracking, right before getting on the light cycle. Is it possible to black out instantly the image before loading the arena level, to avoid this loss of head tracking ?
  • aerosteakaerosteak Posts: 102
    Very nice job! This is getting better and better!

Only a couple of suggestions, though:

- The bike engine sfx doesn't loop right, there is a small "click" every 1.5 second (I can help you edit that with pleasure, feel free to ask)
    - Another couple of opponents would be great, and if the trails would last much longer it would add a bit of difficulty to the game.
    - You could use the "screen' on the bike (sorry but my english is lacking) to display some infos such as score, etc...

Anyyway, huge thanks and keep up the good work!
  • Hello. Great job! Is it the same game http://www.t3.com/news/developer-unveils-oculus-rift-powered-tron-lightcycle-simulator or its completely another project?
    kxN05W.jpg
    VR ONE Home of Virtual Reality Solutions
    http://www.vrone.pl
    Art3mis
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, they're all going on my list. :)

Taser: thanks I'll look into that. I've never encountered this hole. I used to fall through from time to time but it was at random places due to lag and physics precision. I haven't fallen through since the latest fixes.

Damien3k: no it is a completely different project. I wish I had that bike peripheral though!
    zbufferVR wrote:

The ramps are now almost too easy to see :D ... In the film I think that the there are highlights only on the actual edges, and not between the horizontal upper ground and the part that goes down. Not sure if I am clear, but the top highlight should not make a full square.

Agreed. Only highlighting the ramps themselves and not the full square would be ample.
    aerosteak wrote:

- The bike engine sfx doesn't loop right, there is a small "click" every 1.5 second

Yep, good spot.

Taser: thanks I'll look into that. I've never encountered this hole. I used to fall through from time to time but it was at random places due to lag and physics precision. I haven't fallen through since the latest fixes.

I did reinstall the Win64 bit version once again, just to be sure. The bike drops down repeatedly in and around the same place, just off of the top right hand corner of that square. If you've not encountered it so far, that leaves only one possible explanation. You must have Rinzler's bike, and I'm completely cool with that.