cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ocean Rift

sfaok
Protege

Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | DK2 Demo

Ocean Rift is the world’s first VR aquatic safari park. Explore a vivid underwater world full of life including dolphins, sharks, tropical fish, turtles, sea snakes, rays, eels, whales, and even dinosaurs!

All screenshots, footage from Gear VR edition.

The app is divided into habitats, accessible via a radial HUD that surrounds the user when they tap the side of the device. To teleport to a habitat, you simply look at the appropriate icon and tap again. Tapping while looking at the current habitat let you teleport to points of interest within - such as to shipwrecks, coral reefs, deep sea vents, ruins.

Of course at any time you are free to pick up a controller and swim around. Habitats range from 100m to 1k square. The DK2 demo contains the Reef Shark habitat.

A lot of the creatures in Ocean Rift are animated using novel procedural animation techniques developed specifically for the project. All animation is calculated by the AI in real-time, which can produce much more organic motion and behaviour. This also means every visit to Ocean Rift will be different!

Screenshots:

Videos

Articles

Procedural Animation in Ocean Rift
Enter VR Podcast
BBC News feature

Gear VR Release Info

The free launch version of Ocean Rift contains five habitats to explore - Sea Turtles, Sea Snakes, Reef Sharks, Dolphins and Great White Sharks.

The full version contains the large Orca, Humpback Whale, Deep Sea and Prehistoric habitats, with Manatee and Seal prototypes also in development.
Developer of Ocean Rift. Follow me on Twitter @sfaok
52 REPLIES 52

HomerS66
Expert Protege
Awesome cant wait to try it out.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Looks great!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

yungknox21
Explorer
how did you get the barrel distortion? I can't get it tyo work with the mobile sdk

drash
Heroic Explorer
Very excited for this. Congratulations on getting a truly stunning demo out for launch!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

sfaok
Protege
@drash Cheers - I've been surprised how far I could push the GPU. Having a draw distance of < 15 meters definitely helps!

alexchu
Honored Guest
This looks amazing! Really nice job.

You must have optimized the heck out of these scenes. They look gorgeous.
Comments are my own personal opinion and are not official statements of my employer.

sfaok
Protege
I wrote a blog post about how the animation system works in Ocean Rift: http://ocean-rift.com/?p=170

"alexchu" wrote:
You must have optimized the heck out of these scenes. They look gorgeous.

Thanks! Appreciate it. Yeah getting stuff like caustics and schools of 50+ fish was tough, very much worth it in the end though. It's amazing what constraints force you to figure out. As a bonus the wildlife density on the PC version will be crazy!

snappahead
Expert Protege
I keep throwing money at my Gear VR and nothings happening.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"Snappahead" wrote:
I keep throwing money at my Gear VR and nothings happening.

Atleast you are throwing your money at your Gear VR, i'm throwing my money at my monitor.