cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DirectX 9 (DX9) Will be Deprecated Starting with Next SDK

cybereality
Grand Champion
Due to API and resource limitations, we’ve decided to deprecate DirectX 9 support and will be removing it from LibOVR in the near future. This will allow us to focus on future work using DirectX 11 and OpenGL that will help deliver a great VR experience on Windows.

Apps that use DirectX 9 will continue to work for the foreseeable future, but they won’t compile in future SDK releases and may have additional runtime latency after we remove DirectX 9 support.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
58 REPLIES 58

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Hmmmmm so I think this means eurotruck sumulator and the american truck simulator, as well as stuff like HL2 and Live For Speed are stuffed long term.

Never mind, a real shame but I guess dx9 is ancient
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

pittsburghjoe
Protege
Sure, drop 9 ..but how about 12? Windows 10 is coming.
i7 skylake, EVGA Classified, 2 EVGA 980 sc's, Thermaltake TR2 RX(1000W), 32GB DDR4, Win 10 on an SSD

kojack
MVP
MVP
Client rendering extended mode should still work in dx9, all the sdk would be used for is initial values and tracking, it would be api agnostic. As annoying as extended mode is, it would at least let old games keep working (it's not a completely simple task to port a dx9 engine to dx11, they have a lot of differences).

It doesn't bother me too much, since Ogre 2.0 is dropping DX9 too and I've never gotten Ogre's DX9 to work with direct rift mode.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

SvenViking
Protege
I guess that includes HL2 and all other Source engine games, probably Live for Speed, etc.

When you say they may have increased latency, do you mean keeping an older runtime installed would keep them running with lower latency? If so: is the current support being removed rather than only deprecated to reduce bloat, or for other reasons? Thanks.

(Edit: Removed from the runtime rather than left in as legacy support, I mean. I understand why you'd want to remove it from the SDK.)
Scorched Battalion - VR Jam edition available for Gear VR and DK2 (Win/Mac/Linux) Jungle Juice Sven Co-op

Anonymous
Not applicable
It'll be pretty disappointing if Half Life 2 and the other SteamVR Source Engine games no longer work in future SDK versions. I can understand that getting Direct Mode to work well with DX9, but as mentioned I'd think Extended Mode would still work fine for those cases.

saviornt
Protege
"pittsburghjoe" wrote:
Sure, drop 9 ..but how about 12? Windows 10 is coming.

This. DX12 will help tremendously with software latency; from the reports. MS didn't decide I was a good enough person to preview the new DX, so, I can't say for certain.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

DouglasteR
Honored Guest
Wise move.

Cant wait to see the SDK using DX12

Anonymous
Not applicable
You guys are fucking retarded.

I was planning to purchase a CV1 and recommend it to people if it was any good, but when the game that's most interesting for it won't work because of arbitrary (not technical) decisions, I can't put any money towards a product making such poor decisions.

I'd rather support someone who is willing to make their product as accessible as possible within technical reasoning, not arbitrary upper management reasoning.

kegetys
Honored Guest
Ouch, that is a lot of development time gone down the trash, extremely bad decision at this point in time in my opinion. I think it is going to be really hard to convince developers to invest money into developing Oculus support with this kind of moves, where literally months of work will be suddenly for nothing because out of the blue comes a decision like this.

You guys really seem to have lost it when it comes to developer relations.
As a cyborg you will serve shodan well.