Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Klepto - Burglary Simulator

nobylspoon
Protege

Steam Store Page [Releasing on 5/17]

Description:

Welcome to Klepto where there's no place like a burglarized home. In this burglary simulation you'll explore, terrorize and loot your way to success in a variety of open-world sandbox neighborhoods.

Build your reputation in the criminal world by taking on contracts or team up with your fellow criminals for some online multiplayer shenanigans. Hate the idea of burglarizing? Play online as one of Klepto's finest to serve and protect the neighborhoods in the Cops & Robbers multiplayer game mode.

• Sandbox Mode (Single Player)
  • Multiplayer Co-Op and Competitive
  • 2 Open-world neighborhoods
  • Full VR Support
  • Lockpicking, Safe Cracking, Hacking and more
  • Powered by Unreal Engine

• Story Mode (Single Player)
  • 4 New Neighborhoods
  • Disguise System
  • Additional Multiplayer Game Modes
  • Multiplayer Enhancements including Progression and Reputation Systems
  • More gadgets, tools and hacks

Meerkat Gaming Dev Klepto - Burglary Simulator Oculus WIP Thread || Steam Greenlight Page TightropeVR - 2015 VRJam Finalist Steam Greenlight || [DK2 DEMO] || [GearVR pending UE4 update]
91 REPLIES 91

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
Looks really good. The lighting is excellent and I think that's one of the most important aspects to selling a 3D space as being real.

nate1380
Explorer
Thanks Twitch, that means a lot! I've been slaving over the lighting for weeks now optimizing and perfecting it while trying to keep it all dynamic so the player can interact with it all. Still much to be done though.
Art Monkey @ Meerkat Gaming 2015 VRJam Submission: TightropeVR [APK now available] Maze Roller [DK2 DEMO] [GearVR Edition Coming Soon!]

cybereality
Grand Champion
Nice work.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

genetransfer
Explorer
great concept, sometime in the future I want to experiment with something like this but probably more over the top bond style. not because I advocate burglary but I like tactical puzzle solving. Look forward to this, do you think you will have an option to be an owner of a house and you set up the security in place for another to try and solve - might make multiplayer fun - or as a robber you have your own house that as you increase in wealth can deck out your own home with security so you valuables can't be snitched by another player - a bit spy vs spy. anyway looks like it will be fun, following.

nobylspoon
Protege
"genetransfer" wrote:
great concept, sometime in the future I want to experiment with something like this but probably more over the top bond style. not because I advocate burglary but I like tactical puzzle solving. Look forward to this, do you think you will have an option to be an owner of a house and you set up the security in place for another to try and solve - might make multiplayer fun - or as a robber you have your own house that as you increase in wealth can deck out your own home with security so you valuables can't be snitched by another player - a bit spy vs spy. anyway looks like it will be fun, following.

Thanks, genetransfer. We have some elaborate stuff planned for the "Professional" rank which could be considered a bit of "Bond style". This is more along the grounds of bypassing high tech security systems, home automation systems, better physical security, etc. Being an IT security researcher with an MS in InfoSec, I'm really excited about this gameplay. It will feature a realistic (with some hollywood twists) to the hacking. My goal is to have this at a level that could easily stand alone as its own game. However, due to the vast scope it's a bit further down the roadmap.

We don't have any current plans of allowing players to be the homeowner as we are trying to keep this closer to a real life simulation. This kind of gameplay would be tough to balance as a real world homeowner wouldn't have advanced warning on the break-in attempt but a player assuming that role would be ready and waiting.

We currently have two forms of multiplayer planned. The first is co-op where 2-4 players work together. For example, a teammate hacking systems from a van while other player gains physical access or both players working together inside the house or neighborhood. The second is the competitive mode where players are split into two teams, theifs and [rent-a-] cops. For the theifs, it's business as usual while the other team patrols the neighborhood looking for signs of suspicious activity (while obeying unlawful search and trespassing laws). They may need to respond to calls from NPCs (which could be distractions from the other team), etc.

Full details are still being fleshed out but that's the core of it.

BTW, we've added a Steam Greenlight Concept page. Feel free to post any additional suggestions in the comments section and follow the project to stay informed. We will be launching the Greenlight campaign when we get a bit further along in the development.
Meerkat Gaming Dev Klepto - Burglary Simulator Oculus WIP Thread || Steam Greenlight Page TightropeVR - 2015 VRJam Finalist Steam Greenlight || [DK2 DEMO] || [GearVR pending UE4 update]

nate1380
Explorer
Hi Folks,

We also wanted to mention that due to the size of this project we are looking to expand our Meerkat Gaming team. Our initial needs include 3D modeling and texture/UV mapping of houses and accompanying assets (3DS Max experience preferred). Eventually we also also need help in the character animation area, UE4 experience will be needed there.

Compensation will be paid out in the form of profit sharing as we are currently self-funding this project. If interested please send me a PM.
Art Monkey @ Meerkat Gaming 2015 VRJam Submission: TightropeVR [APK now available] Maze Roller [DK2 DEMO] [GearVR Edition Coming Soon!]

nate1380
Explorer
We've just posted a video of some early prototype footage. Not too much actual game to see yet but you can see some basic mechanics of lurking around a house at night :).

We'd love if you could also follow us on our steam concept page so we can get your feedback and ideas. Thanks!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Looks cool.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

andrewtek
Expert Protege
You know what would be interesting... if you visited a few cat burglar's in prison to show them the footage of your game. It would be interesting to get their feedback on how they would actually case a home, break in, move through it, etc.

Not being a burglar myself, my instincts say that using a flashlight might be a good way to alert home owners, neighbors, passersby, etc. to my presence. Instead, I would try to let my eyes adjust to the dark and work that way. Maybe carry a very small flashlight for looking directly into the contents of drawers and cupboards.

Then again... I am not a burglar and my instincts are probably way off.

Are you a fan of the Thief series? I really liked the original and actually enjoyed what I have played of the latest... Unfortunately, I got too busy to finish it.

Good luck with your game! It looks promising.