/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Running Commentary On Recommended Unity Versions For Development

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 20,197 Oculus Staff
edited March 21 in Unity
This thread is no longer updated. Please check this new post for up-to-date info on Oculus Unity compatibility.
https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/49404/constantly-updating-an-introduction-to-unity-download-links-and-compatibility-information/p1
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• karrtoonkarrtoon Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    Is 5.1.3p1 okay to use? I see it was just released yesterday.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 20,197 Oculus Staff
    No, 5.1.3 has some problems. That's the point of the recommended versions in this thread.

I will update the original post as new versions are validated.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Hiro Protagonist
    Okay thanks, I dunno why but I just figured newer was better and don't really keep track of the version numbers. Appreciate the clarification.

Edit: I'm not seeing that version on the Unity Patch page anywhere https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-rele ... 5.1&page=1 Does anyone have a link?

Edit2: It can be found here http://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive Click downloads win dropdown for 5.1.2 and not the big "release notes" button. That kept redirecting me to 5.1.3.
  • bcoylebcoyle Posts: 111
    thanks for this post!
    Is the OculusUtilities.unitypackage not recommended to be used with Unity 5? I'm trying to figure out how to get back all the cool stuff from the past. The old VR player character and keyboard commands to reset the view, quick turns, and escape the game.
    Did you read the first post? Yes, the Oculus Unity Utilities are designed for Unity 5.
    Sorry. I'm only asking because I'm so confused with Unity 5 supposedly having things integrated for VR. But then I'm adding this Utilities package that mimics most of what I remember from the integration package. And then things aren't working like before so I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for your patience
    What is it that you're not able to do?
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,783
    Trinity
    bcoyle wrote:
    Sorry. I'm only asking because I'm so confused with Unity 5 supposedly having things integrated for VR. But then I'm adding this Utilities package that mimics most of what I remember from the integration package. And then things aren't working like before so I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for your patience
    Basically, Unity 5's native VR functionality is enabled via Unity 5's "Virtual reality supported" checkbox. By itself, what that does is detects when you have a supported VR headset connected, and then turns all cameras (except the ones that render to a rendertexture) into stereoscopic cameras that work with the headset's headtracking. The majority of the old functionality that used to be in plugins are now built into Unity itself, via the OVRPlugin static class or UnityEngine.VR namespace. There's no more OVRCameraRig or OVRManager class etc.

So, you might be able to do most of what is necessary using only the built-in APIs now available, but if you wanted something that looks and acts like the traditional Unity integrations from older SDKs, that's where Oculus Utilities comes in. Oculus Utilities gives you all the same stuff as the old Unity integrations, but under the hood all it's doing is talking to the built-in Unity VR functionality.
    few thing's I'm missing:
    - reset camera view (always found this crucial in getting an accurate player height based on the config utility settings)
    - escape to exit game (threw in a script that seems to be doing it)
    I guess the integration package used to setup some of these things when imported to make it work out of the box.

Do image effects work? Are they applied to the Left and RightEyeAnchor's? Seems like that doesn't work anymore either.

Then there's this, which seems to be more of a Unity issue - but I'm also seeing issues with Unity's reflection probes, the reflections are not stereoscopic. So with a mirror, the image looks flat on the surface.
  • I found that 5.1.2f1 had huge WaitingForGPU delay spikes (20-30ms) for a basically empty scene. They appear to have been fixed in 5.1.3p1.

http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases/5.1.3p1
  • InfiniteInfinite Posts: 128
    RobNewton wrote:
    I found that 5.1.2f1 had huge WaitingForGPU delay spikes (20-30ms) for a basically empty scene. They appear to have been fixed in 5.1.3p1.

http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases/5.1.3p1

That may be fixed but now when using Linear colour space, Unity crashes when you try to use the Rift. Not sure how this slipped by. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=25928

www.ir-ltd.net
  • vrdavebvrdaveb Posts: 1,601 Oculus Staff
    RobNewton wrote:
    I found that 5.1.2f1 had huge WaitingForGPU delay spikes (20-30ms) for a basically empty scene.
    I haven't seen this with 5.1.2f1 and runtime 0.7.0.0. Is it still occurring for you?
    @bcoyle: Yes, you can still reset the camera. You do it with this function call.
    InputTracking.Recenter();

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference ... enter.html

You can escape the game yourself. It's one line of code.
    Application.Quit();

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference ... .Quit.html

Yes, image effects still work. They need to be on the CenterEyeAnchor (which has the camera component).
  • 4.6.8 is out I guess this one is the recomended now.

With sdk 0.7 I have seen that shadows ar 100% black.

Two complex image effects are broken.

SSAO
    SSR

Rest ok.

Image effects need now to be placed in center anchor?
    Just because a new version is out, does not necessarily mean it's better. It could very well be worse.
  • vrdaveb wrote:
    RobNewton wrote:
    I found that 5.1.2f1 had huge WaitingForGPU delay spikes (20-30ms) for a basically empty scene.
    I haven't seen this with 5.1.2f1 and runtime 0.7.0.0. Is it still occurring for you?
    Yes, it was happening just before I posted that message. I am on a Zbox EN-760 running Win 8.1 and a GTX860M with 355.83. Didn't think to grab a screenshot but it got worse when the spacebar VR stats thing was up. Very choppy. The Unity project was fresh with just the OVR utilities package and a single white plane to walk around.
  • I've sucessfully ported Tokyo Warfare to SDK 0.7 using Unity 4.6.8.

The upgrade was as easy as removing and importing new integration.

The issue I had with two pluggins was my fault having forward instead of deferred rendering.
    RobNewton wrote:
    I am on a Zbox EN-760 running Win 8.1 and a GTX860M with 355.83.
    Unfortunately that may not be compatible with our SDK. The 860M is below the recommended spec. Is there any kind of hybrid SLI in use? Does the demo scene in OculusConfigUtil work properly for you? Is this a regression from a previous Unity install you had that was working properly on the same machine?
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited September 2015
    @bcoyle: Yes, you can still reset the camera. You do it with this function call.
    InputTracking.Recenter();

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference ... enter.html

You can escape the game yourself. It's one line of code.
    Application.Quit();

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference ... .Quit.html

Yes, image effects still work. They need to be on the CenterEyeAnchor (which has the camera component).

I think the point here is many "newbie" devs aren't going to know that stuff without digging into that script reference or browsing the forum here. It's really simple once you know, but finding it or even thinking to look for it is the hard part when you are new at this. I'm willing to bet there's somebody right now compiling his demo without InputTracking.Recenter bound to a key. I really think it should be put into the Oculus Utilities to work just as the old integration did personally. (r for reset or f12)

Edit: Btw great example of a newbie unity dev is the discovering space guy. He had never used Unity before and his first builds were missing some important things.. but that demo turned out great in the end. Lets make it as easy as possible for these newer devs that want to experiment with VR is what I am saying. (Obviously thats the goal of the Oculus Utilities, but the little stuff like resetting hmd being bound to a key and escape to quit do help)
    The key bindings you're asking for were originally in the OVRMainMenu script, but now they're in the OVRSceneSampleController script. Drag that onto a copy of the OVRPlayerController prefab and you should be set.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thank you. I am just more recommending this all be the default again really (in the Oculus Utilities). That script should be attached by default. These small things do really make a difference when you are new. I am not anymore, just telling my experience.

Edit: Though I am having to relearn things with Unity 5 and Oculus Utilities, so new in that regard :)
    Good point. The intent was to use OVRSceneSampleController in the Room scene that ships with the integration. Looks like the OVRPlayerController there reverted to the prefab defaults at some point. I've fixed it for a future release.
    vrdaveb wrote:
    Good point. The intent was to use OVRSceneSampleController in the Room scene that ships with the integration. Looks like the OVRPlayerController there reverted to the prefab defaults at some point. I've fixed it for a future release.

Thanks for this <3
    Makes sense now because for a while I was copy and pasting the OVRPlayerController from the Room scene. But realized it wasn't working anymore with the latest. Thanks for explaining why it was different, I never figured it out since I'm a 'noob' dev :lol:
  • kideternalkideternal Posts: 38
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Patch 5.1.3p2 was released today, and while it says "VR: Fixed regression with linear lighting and anti aliasing on windows" in the patch notes, enabling anti-aliasing under Quality Settings still results in a black screen.
    Are you using deferred rendering? MSAA only works with forward and there is a known issue where it causes a black screen with deferred. If that's your problem, you can use FXAA or increase UnityEngine.VR.VRSettings.renderScale to reduce aliasing.
  • kideternalkideternal Posts: 38
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    vrdaveb wrote:
    Are you using deferred rendering? MSAA only works with forward and there is a known issue where it causes a black screen with deferred. If that's your problem, you can use FXAA or increase UnityEngine.VR.VRSettings.renderScale to reduce aliasing.
    Aha! Yes, I switched to Deferred a couple of days ago and forgot about that detail. Thanks for the response!
  • AnanasAnanas Posts: 181
    What about 5.2?
    5.2 hasn't been thoroughly tested yet. I do recall that the betas had some issues, and I'm not sure they were fixed. It may be best to stick with 5.1.3p2 for the time being until we can verify it working. Thanks.
  • AnanasAnanas Posts: 181
    Cool, thanks for the info
This discussion has been closed.