New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Just To Confirm: DisplayPort and DVI Adapters DO Work!

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,414 Oculus Staff
edited April 2016 in General
So people keep asking about this so I did a test tonight.

I can confirm that passive DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapters DO work without problem on the consumer Rift. In addition, regular DVI-to-HDMI adapters (like the one that came with the DK2) also work fine.

Keep in mind that I was using an Nvidia GTX 980 for this test, and your video card will still need to be compatible and capable of the bandwidth needed for VR.

Here are the ones I used:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00K0UDYLM
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-Female-Adapter/dp/B007NLEF3W

WARNING: Active adapters DO NOT seem to work.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• shadowfroggershadowfrogger Posts: 468
    Nexus 6
    Is that with sound for the headphones too?
    Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website!
    http://www.gaming-disorder.com/
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,414 Oculus Staff
    It's a USB sound device, so video cable/port doesn't matter.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MradrMradr Posts: 1,842 Poster of the Week
    In a lot of ways ~ I wish they kept it split. I have a sound card ~ so would've been nice to just pass that sounds off to it :P (Yes, it's a DAC sound card). OH well ^__^

Thanks for testing that for us!!! That's good information to know =)
  • JakemanOculusJakemanOculus Posts: 464
    Trinity

Wow. I had always assumed the Rift got sound from HDMI. That's good to know.
  • hubickhubick Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks for testing!!

It's good to know common HDMI 1.4 adapters will work (CV1 is only HDMI 1.3), but I'm still hoping my backordered Club3D Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD (CAC-1070) adapter ships before the Rift. If I'm buying a DP adapter, I'd rather get HDMI 2.0 support if I can, which gives me the choice to run my UHD monitor through it as well (and I'm betting CV2 will require).

And yeah, the clue that the Rift couldn't use just HDMI for audio was the fact that CV1 also has a microphone.
  • andrewtekandrewtek Posts: 969
    Art3mis
    hubick wrote:
    But I'm still hoping my backordered Club3D Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD (CAC-1070) adapter ships before the Rift.
    I bought Club3D's MiniDP version for my Surface Pro 4. It arrived from Amazon yesterday. Sadly, it did not work for me at 4K/60hz. Worked fine at 4K/30hz, but that is not what I bought it for; so it is waiting to be shipped back in its return envelope.
    OS: Win10 Pro x64, GPU: EVGA GTX 980, CPU: i7-6700K @4.0GHz, Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+, Ram: 32GB@2133, Main Drive: Samsung SM951 512GB, Monitor: 50" 4K @ 60hz
    Tools: UE4, Blender, VS2013, PSP 4.12, Fre:ac
    Hiro Protagonist
    andrewtek wrote:
    I bought Club3D's MiniDP version for my Surface Pro 4. It arrived from Amazon yesterday. Sadly, it did not work for me at 4K/60hz. Worked fine at 4K/30hz, but that is not what I bought it for; so it is waiting to be shipped back in its return envelope.

It sounds as though the DisplayPort support on the Surface may be your problem, not the adapter. (Edit, no that says it should work with only a single monitor). Hmm, interesting. I hope it works for my GTX 980 and UHD monitor :-/
  • So, could you pls. confirm that a Display Port or DVI to HDMI 1.3 adapter is enough for CV1?
    Since it supports up to 1080p resolution it should be ok.

Thanks
    M_C
    Hiro Protagonist
    https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/

Clearly states the Rift CV1 is HDMI 1.3.
  • hubick wrote:
    https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/

Clearly states the Rift CV1 is HDMI 1.3.

So why Vive requires 1.4 even if the resolution is the same?
    I don't understand...
    The adapters I bought were HDMI 1.4a (3D and 4K compatible) just to be safe, though I believe 1.3 may be OK (assuming it supports the necessary bandwidth). Rift is higher than 1080P resolution (1200P), and at a higher refresh rate (90Hz versus 60Hz) so cheaper cables/adapters may not be enough.
  • edziebaedzieba Posts: 109
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I can confirm that passive DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapters DO work without problem on the consumer Rift.
    Important caveat to this: Passive adapters will ONLY work on dual-mode ports labelled with the DP++ symbol. A regular DisplayPort output will not output a HDMI signal through a passive adapter, and will require an active adapter which, depending on the adapter, will introduce a varying amount of latency.
  • SkateZillaSkateZilla Posts: 163
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    how does RiFt CV1 work w/ a Single Link DVI-HDMI Adapter provided w/ the DK2?

Just wondering because I have a box of Single Link DVI to HDMI Adapters, 

My Graphics Card only Has Mini DPs (4) and Single Link DVI (1-D and 1-I)
  • S9ROOS9ROO Posts: 5
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    ^^ this ^^ ...I'm hearing yes, but if someone with a CV1 could actually confirm, that would be fab!  Cheers. 
    Art3mis
    Im Skeptical, because 2160x1200@90FPS is well above Single Link's Bandwidth,

Seeing as:
    Single Link is 4.95Gb/sec
    Dual Link is 9.90Gb/sec
    CV1 is 8.0-11.20Gb/sec,

2160x1200 @ 90 Hz depending on YUV Color Profile.

• galopingalopin Posts: 355
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    null
    What are you saying ? 2160*1200*90*32bits < 1GB

Edit : oh you wrote in bits not bytes…
  • galopingalopin Posts: 355
    Nexus 6
    The only way i can imagine for the rift to work with the current bandwidth limitation with a dvi to hdmi passive adapter is by using a Ycbcr 4:2:2 signal. This only need 66% of the bandwidth and 2160*1200*32*90*2/3 = 4.6Gb/s compared to 6.9Gb/s for a full 444 signal ( i don't know how you compute "CV1 is 8.0-11.20Gb/sec" @SkateZilla ;).

It would be easy to test, by outputting interleaved lines and see what happen :) Maybe in 2017 when my rift will arrive...
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    I'm not sure rift is a interlaced display... that would cut Bandwidth in half.

I have a mess of Singe Link DVI-> HDMI Adapters, and a Bunch of MiniDP-> Active DVI Adapters,

I also have Some things saved in my cart on NewEgg (StarTech MiniDP -> HDMI 4K Adapters),
    I cant do cheap ones, if that were the case, walmart has generic brand ones for $8-30 but none are 4K certified, so likely Older HDMI Standard.

I'll find out this weekend if a Single Link DVI-> HDMI Works,

I have no choice but to use an adapter, lol, as noted before, my GPUs all have MiniDPs and Single Link DVI (I and D)

I have 5 Screens right now all using MiniDP2DVI Active (one is one DVI-I), , as well as a 1080P-HDTV on the DVI-D using DVI-D to HDMI Cable.

I plan to replace the top screen w/ Rift on the GPU's I/O. while retaining the other 4 for NonVR Games and Studio Work,..
    Art3mis
    There are other colorspaces other than YUV, I use 10-Bit HDMI for Studio work and bandwidth of 1920x1200 Exceeds 11GB/Sec.

For Example:
    2160x1200x90Hz @ 32Bit Color

YUV 4:2:0 is 11.20 Gbps (1.40Gb/s)
    YUV 4:2:2 is 14.95 Gbps (1.87Gb/s)
    YUV 4:4:4 is 22.40 Gbps (2.80Gb/s)
    RGB 4:4:4 is 22.40 Gbps (2.80Gb/s)
    CMYK is 29.9 Gbps

galopin said:
    The only way i can imagine for the rift to work with the current bandwidth limitation with a dvi to hdmi passive adapter is by using a Ycbcr 4:2:2 signal. This only need 66% of the bandwidth and 2160*1200*32*90*2/3 = 4.6Gb/s compared to 6.9Gb/s for a full 444 signal ( i don't know how you compute "CV1 is 8.0-11.20Gb/sec" @SkateZilla ;).

It would be easy to test, by outputting interleaved lines and see what happen :) Maybe in 2017 when my rift will arrive...

• I ordered a bunch of displayport to hdmi adapters and dvi to hdmi adapters from monoprice.

I'll report back if they work. 

I'm using my hdmi for the Oculus, and will use all the adapters for my headless hdmi adapters.

Art3mis
    Looking at Pins, that looks like a Dual Link DVI->HDMI Adapter,

While it will fit on nearly every DVI-D Port, Not all DVI Ports are Dual Link.
    (it MSI's 7970 Lightnings, they have the Pins for Dual Link, but both Ports are Single Link, though a few of us w/ modded BIOS think it's actually Dual Link when not using the 2nd DVI-I Port). 

But MSI has stated it's Single Link. so..
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    looks like Single Link HDMI adapter is a nogo,
    Then again Im still cursing at Microsoft Windows Update to install the 2 hotfixes so Rift Software will install, then I'll try on my backup computer, which has an HDMI port on its GPU, while I wait for mine to ship.

Windows sees the Unit, but will not let me select over 1080p, and the unit obviously dont recognize the signal.
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    FInally got everything to Detect again (Etron USB3 is a PITA)

Anyway, this is what I see when I start Oculus Software, Pretty sure it's because it's trying to come through single link DVI.

Hopefully a 4K Adapter MiniDP to HDMI works.

• Hi cybereality,
    could you pls. check if the Cable Monster DP-HDMI adapter supports 2160p @ 60Hz?
    I asked to Amazon but I haven't received any answer yet.

Thanks a lot
    M_C
    Art3mis

Hi cybereality,
    could you pls. check if the Cable Monster DP-HDMI adapter supports 2160p @ 60Hz?
    I asked to Amazon but I haven't received any answer yet.

Thanks a lot
    M_C
    Supports 4K @ 24Hz

Art3mis
    Would a MDP -> HDMI 2.0 work better than a MDP -> HDMI 1.4?
    I believe 1.4 should be enough but I don't think HDMI 2.0 would hurt.
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    hopefully this is my last issue, I've already side stepped or fixed everything else, lol.
    Between Eltron USB, Side Loading 838 and 929 Hotfixes Because Windows Update and the Website were MIA Intermittently the last few days, I had to get the hotfix's MSU Files from the software cache of my other rig which already had it downloaded. 
     (I know I uninstalled the 838 hotfix a few times as it caused AVI Files to not play in WMP, but I've since moved onto better media players).

It's only gotta last long enough for me to build a new system w/ AM4/ZEN.

Just to note, there are other Aftermarket GPUs with Only MiniDP/DVI-SL other than the R9-296x2 listed on the Help Page.

HD7990, R7970 Lighting and A Few other R9-290s

Art3mis
    Went ahead and ordered this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28N1006

I have several of their other mDP->DVI and DP->DVI etc and they work great,

Local Stores had a bunch of mDP -> HDMI but they did not specify what spec the HDMI was, and didnt feel like risking it.