cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Star Trek 50th Anniversary Tribute game w/VR support

GambitRealm
Honored Guest
Hi all,

Some of you may remember our Star Trek project from a couple of years back - we produced a working demo of the original starship Enterprise interior in the Torque game engine, with Oculus Rift support.

Well, that was then, it worked OK and was fun, but there were issues. The ship was not made up of the best geometry, we had performance and memory issues, and there was not much to do other than just explore the ship.

Well, we have a new version about to come out, in honour of the 50th anniversary, and wanted to share a bit about that...

Some of the exciting new features now in the game:

- 15 training missions (Gold/Red/Blue shirts each get 5 skill tiers)
- 5 interactive episodes (watch clips and then take control of the action)
- All Decks exploration mission (entire ship accessible)
- Turbolift Shafts exploration mission (go from top to bottom of ship within the shafts)
- Deck 6 movie theater mission (watch movie trailers in the theater)

- Full Oculus Rift support (DK1 tested - don't own a DK2 so can't vouch for that)
- Full game controller support (I even got my PS3 controller to work on my PC, thinks it's an Xbox controller)
- Each mission completed unlocks a new character to play
- Unlocked characters can access specific things in the All Decks mission
- Each skill tier of missions completed unlocks an interactive episode

- We can now fly the actual Enterprise just like we fly a shuttle
- We can beam to and from planets and space stations
- Ship can warp to other locations, and you see the planets approaching

Single player only for now, but we also have a whole multiplayer angle in mind should we ever get the energy to go there... We'll see.

As always, this will be a completely free download, meant as a tribute giveaway to Star Trek fans of all ages. We will also be including the Torque tools and some editable scripts, to allow anyone to mod this anyway they like... It's our gift to the Trek community in celebration of the 50th anniversary.

CBS/Paramount never made a game anything like this, so we did it 🙂

Anyhow, here are some pics to tide you over until release day... These are the mission preview images, taken from in-game screenshots.

We are aiming for a March/April release - stay tuned!

Beta copies are available to try right now, if anyone is interested...

Live Long and Prosper

Cheers
Paul
(That's me in the Captain's Chair)

COMMAND OFFICER MISSIONS:

Shuttle Training

Ensign Training

Tactical Training

Diplomacy

Bridge Command Officer

OPERATIONS OFFICER MISSIONS:

Klingon Hunt

Exterior Repair

Warp Engine Repair

Security Detail

Bridge Operations Officer

SCIENCE OFFICER MISSIONS:

Medical Training

Satellite Drop

Probe Launch

Science Expedition

Bridge Science Officer

INTERACTIVE EPISODES:

OTHER MISSIONS:

Explore All Decks

Turbolift Shafts

Movie Theater
9 REPLIES 9

Map444
Honored Guest
Looks great! I would beta test this.

GambitRealm
Honored Guest
Cool, well more info and a Beta download link are on our development blog page:

http://forums.torque3d.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=551

I have only tested in my old DK1, it may need code changes to work in DK2, I don't know, was hoping somebody could test that for me. I don't have a DK2 yet sadly. But I can confirm that even in the low res DK1 this is really really fun 🙂

Enjoy, let me know how it works for you!

CountFloyd
Explorer
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work in any way with DK2 😞
As you mentioned before I had to change compatibility to Win7 (I'm on Win10), otherwise it would crash right at the start.
I also couldn't switch to Fullscreen in GFX-Options.
Is this meant to be run with an old Oculus runtime (e.g. 0.6?). The newer ones only support Direct Mode and running this on Runtime 0.8 I didn't have anything, no screen on Oculus and no headtracking. Makes me a sad panda because it looked so promising...

Sageman98
Explorer
"CountFloyd" wrote:
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work in any way with DK2 😞
As you mentioned before I had to change compatibility to Win7 (I'm on Win10), otherwise it would crash right at the start.
I also couldn't switch to Fullscreen in GFX-Options.
Is this meant to be run with an old Oculus runtime (e.g. 0.6?). The newer ones only support Direct Mode and running this on Runtime 0.8 I didn't have anything, no screen on Oculus and no headtracking. Makes me a sad panda because it looked so promising...

Same result. Does not work in any way on DK2/Windows 10/Oculus 0.8 runtime.

Goobers
Adventurer
I know I sound like an ASS, but you need to do some serious graphical upgrades.

If this were just an alpha (or even early beta) showcasing (or completed 10 years ago), it could be passable, but of something aiming for a March/April 2016 release? Not so sure.

http://www.enterprise3dproject.com/ (TNG, not TOS)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ridge.html (also TNG)
http://stv.re/star-trek-voyager-bridge/ (Voyager)

GambitRealm
Honored Guest
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback...  I am sad that it does not work with the DK2, but like I said we just don't have one so I can't test and tweak to get that capability in there... 

Now, if somebody wanted to loan/donate theirs to me for a couple of weeks, I could get it all working 🙂

As for the person who complained about the graphics, yes you sound like an Ass lol.  This is a completely free game, created by fans for other fans, and there is no similar product being offered by anyone, anywhere, so complaining about the graphics is really petty I think... 

Plus, part of it is actually a style decision - this is a tribute to the original series, and the artwork was designed in that style, with bright lighting etc.  It is not supposed to look like something made in Unreal Engine, that would not match the look of the original show.

We are aware that it is not AAA-level graphics, but for a product made by two guys in a basement, after-hours since we both had day jobs, and then the fact that we are giving this away as a free tribute and gift to all fans of the show, we think we did a bang-up job.  Hopefully you all have some fun with it!

Cheers
Paul

GambitRealm
Honored Guest
To any of those above who tested in DK2 - I am going to be doing some blind code changes soon, to see if that will make the game DK2 compatible, but I need either a tester or an actual DK2 test unit (or both) to confirm whether it works... 

Anybody interested in helping?  Please contact me at feedback@gambitrealm.com if you want to help out.  Don't have to send me your Rift (although that would be nice lol), but I would be sending you builds to try as I make the changes and would be looking for feedback along the way.

Thanks!

GambitRealm
Honored Guest
Oh and to respond to the runtime questions above, with my DK1 there is nothing required at all, no runtime, nothing to install, the DK1 is just another display that shows up in Windows, you set it to duplicate the desktop, and it all just works...

So, it's not a question of this game requiring an old runtime, it's that you don't need a runtime at all, and it seems that installing the modern runtime on my machine breaks the DK1 and it stops working.  I therefore removed all modern Oculus drivers and software after trying that.

Bummer that they didn't make all of this backwards compatible, there was a huge change from the DK1 to the DK2 in terms of how things work.

If I can get somebody to help with testing, I will work on adding the DK2 support, since I think that will enable the consumer version to work with this as well (which would be awesome).

lucyferror
Honored Guest
I have DK2 and runtime 0.8. I'm on Windows 8.1. More than happy to test and help 🙂 My wife is Star Trek mad so she will help too 🙂