cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanishing Realms [ Vive ] RPG from Ex Valve dev

PassiveVR
Expert Protege
This looks awesome guys! And is releasing in April!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevange ... 54aa2a3547

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... iller_rpg/

https://archive.is/1ozXO

It's a full RPG/Dungeon crawler utilizing roomscale and motion controls for independent arm usage during battles and made from the ground up for VR (first person view not some fixed cam thing).

Made by the guy who has worked on Half Life at valve (sound and some level design/scripting I think).

What I most like about this is it's truly interactive and immersive premise. Because it involves real VR controls that you actually NEED to use, and roomscale to move around enemies (and teleport for travel to reach further into the world) this should feel like one of the first FULL VR games we've had that actually involves you.

Looks polished too.

Now, call me biased (I am but with good reason) but this game, never mind the awesomeness of valve's "The Lab" has me 10000 x more excited than any of the seated gamepad Rift launch lineup.

I'm sure you'll all agree and there'll be no flaming or insults being flung around. :roll: 😄

30 REPLIES 30

PassiveVR
Expert Protege
Some more info on the dev behind this game:

So this is what Kelly Bailey's been up to... Neat! 😄

"the 5th employee Valve ever hired. He was the man behind the music and sound effects in Half-Life and Half-Life 2, and designed several of the series’ most important moments such as the test chamber disaster sequence that opened Half-Life. Oh, and Gordon Freeman’s face was based on him." Dude's a legend! Can't wait to see what he conjured up this time.

AHeckman
Expert Protege
until we have a way for some type of feedback like resistance when you hit something touch controls for this type of thing will be lacking. It always ends up with you flailing around with your real world self not being in line with your virtual character.

that said the game does look and sound really cool, not a big fan of the teleporting to move around, but I understand why it's done. I also hope that the game has a running count of all furniture, pets, and family members that get harmed during the course of the game.

PassiveVR
Expert Protege
"AHeckman" wrote:
until we have a way for some type of feedback like resistance when you hit something touch controls for this type of thing will be lacking. It always ends up with you flailing around with your real world self not being in line with your virtual character.

that said the game does look and sound really cool, not a big fan of the teleporting to move around, but I understand why it's done. I also hope that the game has a running count of all furniture, pets, and family members that get harmed during the course of the game.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll:

This game is probably one of the best things we've had to hit ANY VR thus far, and you trot out these old cliches to detract from it?

Ok. I'm sure plenty of people will enjoy it just fine (It's already been shown that you don't need resistance to enjoy swordplay - the survios/raw data guys said it feels good and you lock your arm as it feels that real - besides this you are surely nit picking).

As for pets and family? for me not a problem, no pets, I live alone with my gf and i have an entire large room dedicated to VR. Sucks to be you. :lol:

Ashles
Protege
It's games like this that really are tempting me to move the PC into the lounge.

I love our large wooden coffee table but... it seems the biggest loser in the upcoming explosion of VR may be the manufacturers of coffee tables.
"Into every life a little fantasy must fall..."

AHeckman
Expert Protege
"PassiveVR" wrote:
"AHeckman" wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll:

This game is probably one of the best things we've had to hit ANY VR thus far, and you trot out these old cliches to detract from it?

Ok. I'm sure plenty of people will enjoy it just fine (It's already been shown that you don't need resistance to enjoy swordplay - the survios/raw data guys said it feels good and you lock your arm as it feels that real - besides this you are surely nit picking).

As for pets and family? for me not a problem, no pets, I live alone with my gf and i have an entire large room dedicated to VR. Sucks to be you. :lol:

go go personal attacks!

I will be happy to admit I am wrong about the feedback part of it if it is as good as you say, but in my experience the lack of feedback is huge in breaking immersion.

I am only speaking on my opinion and experiences.

Saffron
Explorer
This game looks great, I'll keep an eye on it. 8-)

"AHeckman" wrote:

I will be happy to admit I am wrong about the feedback part of it if it is as good as you say, but in my experience the lack of feedback is huge in breaking immersion.

I am only speaking on my opinion and experiences.

I've worked on a RPG prototype using two wiimotes, one for each hand, so the player can use a torch and a sword, or a shield + sword, etc...

You can take a look at this short video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT7flnJ3y2s

So far even with basic motion capture the feeling as a player is great, so I'm sure combat in Vanishing Realms can be great.

PassiveVR
Expert Protege
"AHeckman" wrote:

go go personal attacks!

?

If you refer to 'sucks to be you' that's not a personal attack, it's a common reply to people who claim things that others can do can't be done by them (or people in general). It's a lighthearted retort not an 'attack'.

In other words the impetus is on you to both find room in your house and room in your heart to lighten up on nay-saying of such great VR games like this and just enjoy it!

Sure all VR still has problems and quirks, but for now, this IS as good as it gets for fully immersive and fully interactive VR. I'll take that over more of the same from my DK2 days.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think this looks bloody fantastic. Can't wait to try it!

PassiveVR
Expert Protege
"Atmos73" wrote:
If this guy's been working on this for years by the looks of it, then I finally give up all hope on HL3.

I hope we get the choice between teleporting and normal walking. Even if I get slightly nauseous id rather OD on ginger chews than magically jump from place to place. :lol:

He's EX valve and hasn't been working on it that long, I doubt he would have had anything to do with HL3 anyway.

From all I can see yes you can walk as far as your room allows, you can then rotate and continue walking. The teleport system is like most roomscale games there to cater to those that have no room or less room. It's not like every single step is a teleport, it's for traveling farther, faster.

I saw a quote from the dev basically saying "I could walk through the entire dungeon if my room allowed it just fine, but also noticed teleportation being used by devs to alleviate limits" (so.. yeah you can do both)

If you have a large room (as I do) I can get a lot of mileage (pun intended) out of my feet using just roomscale/real walking, whether circling an enemy or walking up to open a chest or w/e like in the shot up above with the small walkway jutting out.

Some people are thinking about teleport like you are glued to the spot and must ping all over the place like a madman, generally it's more like you use it to get yourself into a general area then use real walking and interaction to feel like its real, I'm fine with that, if that's what it takes to enable such immersive tech then so be it.

If you think about how quickly teleportation takes it's such a miniscule blink of time that you'll learn to ignore it, and instead you'll feel all the hours you spend actually walking around in real space (within your own room constraints) while feeling like you are walking around another world. The brain will absorb the long, slow activity and remember it. The 'blinking' will be as filtered out from your mind as any other current VR niggle (like SDE and res or FOV etc).