cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Guide For The New Forum

cybereality
Grand Champion
Hey everyone!

I realize change can be difficult, so I want to share a quick guide on how to use the new forum.

First off, if you want to switch between the different forum areas, click the drop-down menu on the upper right-hand side of the forum. It will say "Community" with a down arrow. Click on the down arrow and choose "Developer", for example, to go to the developer section. This same menu is also used for the different international language forums.

To create a new discussion topic, click the "New Discussion" menu button on the top right. Be sure to pick a category it should go in, for example "General" or "Off-Topic". Enter the topic title and the post content. And click "Post Discussion".

To comment on a post, just use the comment box area at the bottom of the thread. You can also interact with posts in varying ways with reactions. You can, for example, "Like" a post to show your appreciation. There was a "Dislike" button, but people were abusing it so it was removed. If you see a post that is spam or abusive, please private message one of the moderators with a link to the comment.

Your post may be flagged as spam by the automatic spam filter, and require moderator approval. If this happens, please don't just double-post the same message over and over (these will be detected as spam as well). Just wait a few hours for a mod to approve the post, or send me a PM and I can do it for you. I can also verify your account, so you are exempt from the spam filter in the future.

Editing your own posts is possible. Just click the gear icon on the black bar above the post and choose "edit". Please keep in mind that deleting your own posts is not currently supported. If you wish to delete a post, you can edit it and put in "[deleted]" or something like that, or send me a PM and I can delete it for you.

New topics you have not visited will be in bold title text in the discussion list. If you click them, they will become unbold and have a slightly darker background. If new posts are made, they will become lighter with bold text again. There is also a small yellow bubble with a number to show you how many new posts were made since you last visited the thread. After clicking you will be taken to the newest post available.

You can "bookmark" any discussion thread by clicking the orange star icon on the right-hand side. This will give you forum notifications when people respond to that topic. It will also give you access to your bookmarks on the top right header if you have a few particular discussions you wish to follow.

To post YouTube videos, you don't have to do anything special. Just post the YouTube video URL in your post on it's own line and it will automatically become an embedded video. Since the forum uses the HTML5 YouTube player, videos will even work on your mobile device.

Have a link to a particular Twitter post? Just post the URL on it's own line and it will embed the tweet. People can see the images or interact with the tweet directly inside the forum.

If you wish to post an image, you can click the paper document icon above the post area and either paste the image URL or upload a file from your computer. It will be inserted into the post and resized to correctly fill the space. You can also drag and drop images directly from a file explorer window into the forum post box. It also seems to work if you are on a website (like Google image search) and right-click, do copy image, then paste it into the post area.

We now have a Badge system. These are sort of like achievements you gain by interacting on the forum. For example, making a certain amount of posts, getting a certain amount of Likes, adding an avatar image, etc. You may also notice the star icons next to your name. There are currently 5 Levels that you can unlock based on how much you interact on the forum. Everyone starts at Level 1 and you can move up the ranks just by interacting with people in the community. Check the Activity tab on the top of the forum to see how you stack up in the leaderboard.

You can also add tags to posts near the bottom of the post area. Use popular tags or create your own.

RSS feeds are available on a per category basis. Click "Categories" on the top menu, then click the orange wave icon on the right next to the category you wish to follow. Separate from RSS, you can also mark an entire category as "read" by clicking the gear icon on the right and choosing "Mark Read". The "Hide" functionality does not appear to be working currently, but I can look into it.

Please feel free to ask any questions here in this thread if you are confused or need help with this new forum. Thanks again for your continued support of Oculus and the VR community and hope you have a good time.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
160 REPLIES 160

maxpare79
Trustee
There are no upload image options Cyber only Image URL....unless I need to manually type the path to the image on my PC...
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

cybereality
Grand Champion
@maxpare79 OK, maybe there is a permissions issue. Let me check that.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

michaeltieso
Explorer
Well done on the new forums! I love it!

Percy1983
Superstar
I did like before being to see all the threads I was involved in and if more posts have been made, is this possible now?
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

maxpare79
Trustee

@maxpare79 OK, maybe there is a permissions issue. Let me check that.

Made you a screenshot via an image hosting website...

http://postimg.org/image/uw3jof83h/
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
They surely look stylish, newfangled, but.... I'm addicted to the old forum style because I'm old fashion.

ClassicGamerNL
Expert Protege
Great work guys!
We are all just human... share your respect and show your love.

cybereality
Grand Champion

Percy1983 said:

I did like before being to see all the threads I was involved in and if more posts have been made, is this possible now?

New topics you have not visited will be in bold title text in the discussion list. If you click them, they will become unbold and have a slightly darker background. If new posts are made, they will become lighter with bold text again. There is also a small yellow bubble with a number to show you how many new posts were made since you last visited the thread. After clicking you will be taken to the newest post available.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
It is growing on me.  Much better than a dark background with light text (that really makes my eyes freak out).
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified