New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Crashes when plugging in HDMI

dm18dm18 Posts: 25
Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
I'm able to plug in USB camera and headset. Oculus stays open, soon as I plug in HDMI oculus crashes. 

Running ADM video card.

Comments

• PopopinselPopopinsel Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    Please attach OculusSetup.log and the latest service log (both under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus) to your post.
  • dm18dm18 Posts: 25
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
  • PopopinselPopopinsel Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    I suggest contacting Oculus support for this.
  • ScawenScawen Posts: 589
    Trinity
    edited March 2016
    Hi dm18,  I saw your report and realised that we are seeing the same bug.  In my case it is with a DK2.  I think from your server log, you have a CV1 - is that correct?

Here's a link to my thread on the bug.  I have also linked back to your thread from that one.  Please let us know if you found any solution.
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/32598/ovrserver-x64-exe-202883-public-tcid-964894-has-stopped-working

Live for Speed - www.lfs.net
  • dm18dm18 Posts: 25
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Scawen, I'm not seeing a pop up with OVRServer_x64.exe, saying it stopped working.

I had no problem with DK1, DK2,

• lucyferrorlucyferror Posts: 74
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Same problem here. First Oculus Home wouldn't open. Now that's sorted with controller on before opening. I have DK2 and Windows 8.1 pro. Soon after I turn DK2 on Oculus Home will close.
    Trinity
    We now have the full explanation for this (link below).

Oculus specifies that you need a CPU that supports SSE4.1 instructions, but the OVRService uses an instruction called "popcnt" that was introduced at the same time as the SSE4.2 instructions.  Our slightly older CPUs crash when they reach that line, although we still have plenty of CPU power.

So they need to do a small adjustment to their program, limiting it to SSE4.1 instructions, or we all need to buy new computers.
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/352317/#Comment_352317

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,409 Oculus Staff
    Yes, SSE 4.2 is required. Sorry.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Trinity
    edited March 2016
    But your requirements state that SSE 4.1 is supported.
    https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1640455162883853

Is there a genuine reason why the popcnt instruction suddenly needs to be used?  I know for a fact that it only counts bits in a register and you can do a very simple function to do this.

Before I throw away a totally excellent computer that I have that works absolutely brilliantly, I'd really like to understand why the coders can't spend 5 minutes doing the quick fix.

I already upgraded the computer 3 times to match your constantly shifting requirements.  But this step goes too far because I'd need a new motherboard.
    @Scawen So, I should clarify. Currently the software requires SSE 4.2. However, it seems we can make the change so SSE 4.1 will work. However, it won't be until a future update when this will work (and I'm not sure when that will be).
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Trinity
    edited March 2016
    OK, that would be very helpful.  It's a pretty simple change (though I realise there could be performance considerations, depending which part of the code this is in).  I understand you don't know when the update would be, but is it likely in the next few days, for example?

I just want to post google's cache to prove my previous statement that 4.1 was the Oculus stated requirement, until that page suddenly changed just now.  This is so I don't look like a crazy person.  :)
    https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:WhMkdFNiLR4J:https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1640455162883853+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
    The next update would likely be in the next week time-frame. However, we aren't really doing any QA testing on hardware below the recommendation, so it's hard to say for sure if there are not other similar issues to this that could cause problems.
  • ieshadoverieshadover Posts: 3
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    This may or may not relate 

I have found Oculus love of sticking to what they recommend has prevented them from truly troubleshooting issue and looking in to real world solutions.  For example what lead me to this solution was after I upgraded everything to their spec and still had the same issue I tried my Oculus on a far below spec laptop and guess what worked.  I will give it ran like crap, slow and laggy but it worked no crash.  I mean nothing other then it had a DMI port and ran windows, was in spec for this to work.   So I started look at what was different software wise between the my PC and the older laptop.

Finally I did two things.  
    1. disabled every audio showing up on the playback devices except for Oculus Rift Headphones and my normal USB speakers.  
    2.  I paused or closed all software that has an auto sync going like, dropbox, google docs, skype, ect 

Directly related to this thread look at your audio playback devices.  If you see a list of devices related to your HDMI (found under properties for each device) then disable all of them.  The only one you need is the Rift Headphone device and it seems to be playing through the USB port.
  • xowainxxowainx Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Update for a totally unrelated item but the exact same problem. My computer supports the SSE 4.2 but the symptoms are exactly the same as described in the original problem. This happened to me immediately after the windows 10 creators update. Prior to this update the Oculus headphones and Mic never worked for me but I didnt care. Suddenly they are working and I can use them even with my HDMI unplugged. Plugging in the HDMI immediately crashes the oculus home and I get no image. I went into the device manager under the Sound devices and disabled both the oculus headphones and mic and boom. All working again. Hope this helps one poor soul out there.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • VeztekVeztek Posts: 7
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    NOTHING is working. Every time i plug the HDMI in, oculus home closes and reopens closes and reopens and just doesn't work. My PC does work with VR, I don't know whats happening.