cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVRServer_x64.exe 202883-public TCID:964894 has stopped working

Scawen
Heroic Explorer
Hi, I've installed the software but can't use it because this crash occurs every time I plug
in the DK2.  The headset and sensor are plugged into USB 3.0 ports.  All the latest drivers for the USB ports and video card are installed.  The required Windows 7 SP1 updates are installed.  My computer is very healthy.  The DK2 worked fine with the 0.8 runtime.  This is clearly a bug because it has an exception code and you can see the offset in the attached screenshot.  That should lead you to the exact line of code.

Closing the crash message (with the Rift still pugged in) causes the Rift software to restart and the OVRServer then crashes again.

The sensor (camera) doesn't cause this crash.  It only happens when the DK2 is plugged in.  The Oculus software recognises the rift then within a second or so the OVRServer crashes with the attached message.

Exception Code: c000001d
Exception Offset: ...00f5e1d

Additional Info: If
I press the button on the DK2 so the light goes off, then the OVRServer stops crashing and this allows the Oculus software to run.  As soon as I press the button on the Rift to switch it on this crash comes up again.

I've tried updating everything I can but the same crash comes up every time.

mcigd2kihvm1.gif

Live for Speed - www.lfs.net
28 REPLIES 28

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you run "OculusLogGatherer.exe" from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics" and share the zip file with me? Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Scawen
Heroic Explorer
OK, it's 145 MB so I'm uploading it to our server.
I'll PM you a download link in an hour or so.

Bagnet
Expert Protege
i couldn't get it working in USB3 ports. had to plug it back into the USB2 ones and it burst into life! You proably tried that but just in case...

Scawen
Heroic Explorer
Thanks, but I get the same result with USB2 ports.

Cyber, I have found another user with the same bug.  I looked around as I couldn't believe it would only be me.  User dm18 reported he could plug in the USB - no crash at that point - the crash occurred only when the HDMI cable was plugged in.  I tried this and I get exactly the same result!
Other thread: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/32532/oculus-crashes-when-plugging-in-hdmi

Sensor and Headset USB cables can be plugged in (to USB2 or USB3) and they are seen in the Oculus Software, with the correct warning that the HDMI cable is not connected.  Connecting the HDMI causes the OVRServer to crash.

In my case it's a DK2.  I think dm18 has a CV1 - In his log where it says "Oculus devices are enumerating:" it says "Rift" where mine says "Rift DK2".

EDIT: Added service log from today. Cyber already has a Log Gatherer zip I sent in a PM.

Scawen
Heroic Explorer
We now have the full explanation for this (link below).

Oculus
specifies that you need a CPU that supports SSE4.1 instructions, but the
OVRService uses an instruction called "popcnt" that was introduced at
the same time as the SSE4.2 instructions.  Our slightly older CPUs crash
when they reach that line, although we still have plenty of CPU power.

So they need to do a small adjustment to their program, limiting it to SSE4.1 instructions, or we all need to buy new computers.
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/352317/#Comment_352317

cybereality
Grand Champion
What CPU are you using? Was it one that was supposed to be supported?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Scawen
Heroic Explorer
Yes, Oculus requires SSE 4.1 and I've checked that it does using the recommended software:
https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1640455162883853

Well it did say SSE 4.1 but it seems you've swiftly changed that page.  😐
Here's Google's cache to prove I'm telling the truth:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:WhMkdFNiLR4J:https://support.oculus.com/help/o...

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, we did just update the support page since this is not true at the moment. You do need a SSE 4.2 compatible CPU today. However, we already removed the problem instruction, so in the next update it's likely we can move back to supporting SSE 4.1. Though we aren't really testing on hardware below the recommendation, so it's hard to say if there are other issues similar to this.

Scawen
Heroic Explorer
OK, thanks for the info.  I would be very happy to test it and report back, if you are able to send over a test OVRServer exe
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?