/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

"No HDMI connection" error message on CV1

yoinkopyoinkop Posts: 2
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
So, my Rift was working perfectly well for two nights and now I am getting "No HDMI connection" no matter what I do. USB is connected fine, constant orange light on the Rift. The HDMI cable is plugged in firmly at both ends. Only thing I did since it worked last was update my nvidia drivers. Please help!

Firmware is 707 / 41670b3eb7. Asus 980 strix & i7 4770

Tagged:

Comments

• knutknut Posts: 2
    Following... I have the same card and the same issue.
  • karloykarloy Posts: 22
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Same issue, but never worked.
  • flyingkeysflyingkeys Posts: 3
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I get the problem very often.  I think it is an issue with the connection at the headset side of the HDMI cable. It seems to get loose from taking the headset on and off, since that has been when it seems to happen.
    I have had success by trying to push the cable in at the headset, but it does seem hard to get to. I submitted a support ticket 2 days ago and still haven't heard back.  
  • jtsutton66jtsutton66 Posts: 1
    I have the same issue also once in a while it works it i take out the hdmi on headset but now not really.
  • hapklaarhapklaar Posts: 28
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Have the same issue, on an Asus STRIX GTX970. With a new cable I was able to get it to work by using a DVI=>HDMI plug.
  • korgen63korgen63 Posts: 30
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Same issue here on an Asus STRIX GTX980. I wonder if the problem could be located with STRIX cards...

Here is my configuration:
    - I7 6700k
    - Asus z170 deluxe
    - Asus STRIX GTX980
    - 32 Go DDR4

The motherboard has Asmedia ports, so the Rift is plugged on a PCIe USB3 card (chipset FL1100)

I tested different connections:

HDMI = don't work
    HDMI>DVI (the dk2 adaptator) = works
    HDMI>DP (passive adaptator) = don't work
    HDMI>DVI (the dk2 adaptator) connected on a DVI>DP (active adaptator) = don't work 

For the moment I use the hdmi/dvi but I'll have to connect the CV1 on a HDMI or a DP port if I want to use my screens (3 monitors).
    Are there any STRIX owners here who solved this problem (except with the DVI plug), wich DP adaptator should I purchase?
  • TomtosTomtos Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I have issues with a Strix card as well, a 970. I manage to get it working by restarting the driver (via the unit manager). I have to do this every time the computer is rebooted.

• Tosken1337Tosken1337 Posts: 12
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I have the same issue.
    Also a strix 970gtx.
    Very strange.
    For now i dont get it working. I requested a cable replacement on the support.
    For those where the DVI->HDMI adapter works. did you also exchange the cable on the rift?
  • usernameisalreadyinuusernameisalreadyinu Posts: 116
    Art3mis
    Strix 970 here, same thing, occasional but it happens. Also, the dk2 occasionally had the same thing happen. And not always hdmi related, sometime just unplug the usb did the trick.
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 441 Poster of the Week
    Tosken1337 said:
    I have the same issue.
    Also a strix 970gtx.
    Very strange.
    For now i dont get it working. I requested a cable replacement on the support.
    For those where the DVI->doesn'twork adapter works. did you also exchange the cable on the rift?

Hey Tosken. I also had this problem on a strix gtx-980. I requested a new cable but in the time it took them to respond I went out and bought a hdmi to dvi adapter and it worked with the cable I already had. I have had 0 problems since although presumably the picture is not as sharp.. though regular hdmi connection still doesn't work so i have nothing to compare it to.

They are still sending a cable but being in Australia means it will probably take a while. I have been using it non stop with the dvi adapter though and im loving every bit if it. Considering it cost me $800 aud i don't mind the extra $15 adapter.

hope it works just as well for you.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Thanks for your answer KillCard.
    I have ordered a dvi->hdmi adapter today. I will let you know if it works for me.
    I hope so.
    I also wrote a support ticket with my issue and asked for a cable replacement.
    I hope it does not take so long.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Using a hdmi->dvi adapter works for me.
    Do you have an ide if this has some effect on the performance (lower refresh rate)?
    or the image quality?
  • TuukelaTuukela Posts: 4

Oculus CV1 must be plugged into the HDMI port of the real graphics card, but in Laptop computers default HDMI-port is connected to Intel integrated GPU. So this might be reason why you not able to connect to CV1

Normally it is possible to change in Nvidia settings that certain applications uses real graphics card instead of Intel integrated GPU, but in Oculus Rift case this is not possible. It is useless to change Oculus setup to use real GPU and n NVIDIA setting there is no possibility to define setting where HDMI port uses the real graphics card.

Do you have ideas how to force HDMI to real graphics card instead Intel integrated GPU?

• KillCardKillCard Posts: 441 Poster of the Week
    Using a hdmi->dvi adapter works for me.
    Do you have an ide if this has some effect on the performance (lower refresh rate)?
    or the image quality?
    I cant say for sure .. I think theoretically the image is not as high resolution as the picture looks different on my monitor hdmi vs dvi.. the hdmi looks sharper there so I think the image is not quite as good. Although it is adequate and still works perfectly for everything.. after that 24 hr period of being scared that I bought a $800 brick I'm just happy to be using it now lol.
  • usernameisalreadyinuusernameisalreadyinu Posts: 116
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016
    It's happening again and again, it got rapidly to number one problem for me. No only HDMI, also another code I haven't written (it'll happen again, I'll note it next time), or some generic no connection or bad tracking.
    This is in a comfy chair, for E:D, not while jumping around. I checked the connection in the Rift, which isn't connected to any extension cable, directly to the supposedly good inateck/frescologic card with added power from the power supply, and the gpu HDMI.
    Side note, the camera is actually connected to an extension cable, but it hasn't given problem at this time. Both correctly say usb3 in the devices section of oculus home.

Now, if it's a cable related problem, as in the ports, not the cable itself, this might be the only problem oculus will have with room scale. If this connection thing happens when sitting, moving won't help any.

p.s.
    The "code" nominated, it was "Your headset isn't working properly. Please check device/ u00a0settings." that comes and expires. Too bad it all goes black in the headset, and when it regains focus it stays black in the game, although I can use the remote and check the status, the game does not return to the hmd.
    Random connection problems like this makes the experience frustrating at least.
  • splicer12splicer12 Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    It's strange. I have a Strix GeForce 970 and I get intermittent HDMI connection issues. Usually a cold boot of my machine will correct it, but I have found that reinstalling the drivers using the GeForce Experience can get the HMD back up if shutting down the computer doesn't help. I think the glitch is more on the Strix and less with the HMD.
  • jamesp111jamesp111 Posts: 6
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I solved this issue: Spent an evening unplugging cables etc thinking I had a broken rift but it turned out to be the new Nvidia drivers: Uninstalled them and installed an older version. All working after that.

Then installed the new version again and the problem hasn't returned.
  • westerntenwesternten Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    what older version of the driver did you install?, this is driving me crazy
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 319
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    I bet any money this is YET ANOTHER NV driver problem which can be solved by connecting a monitor via HDMI on the port where the Rift normally is, and then resetting everything in control panel. NV control panel/drivers sometimes do WEIRD things with displays on HDMI and the fact that the Rift normally doesn't have a dedicated NV control panel accessible doesn't exactly help.
    I bet 90% that you can get your Rift working, plug a monitor in, bring up NV control panel and check all the settings.
  • SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 689
    Trinity
    yep getting same problem
    titan X Maxwell and DK2

just reinstalled windows and fresh drivers...... hdmi or dvi dont work for rift..... monitor does
  • jasonbdjjasonbdj Posts: 6
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited December 2016
    I had the same problem not long ago as well xbox pad playing up . Fixed it by rolling back windows 10 updates, believe it is related to the big update which included new changes to the start menu
  • SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 689
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    dont know why the users have to troubleshoot this,,, when a company with billions of dollars should do their job

edit: solved for me

uninstalled thru programs and features nividia driver
    restarted
    downloaded 375.70 nividia driver
    installed restarted
    unpluged rift and de-powered all connections
    reconnected HDMI and USB

skipped setup

rift lit up

you can pay the time into my paypal thnx
  • splicer12splicer12 Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    Update: I have narrowed down that unless my computer comes up from a cold boot, I need to disable then enable my display adapter in Device Manager to get the HMD to work properly. Reinstalling the driver also does this, but using the device manager is a lot faster and less bandwidth.
  • funnywheenofunnywheeno Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    flexy123 said:
    I bet any money this is YET ANOTHER NV driver problem which can be solved by connecting a monitor via HDMI on the port where the Rift normally is, and then resetting everything in control panel. NV control panel/drivers sometimes do WEIRD things with displays on HDMI and the fact that the Rift normally doesn't have a dedicated NV control panel accessible doesn't exactly help.
    I bet 90% that you can get your Rift working, plug a monitor in, bring up NV control panel and check all the settings.
    This problem has been bugging me a lot, too, wondering if my Rift or my HDMI port was broken. I was also sometimes able to fix the problem by rebooting to generic GPU and then rebooting back up to my GeForce 980. I tried your solution because I've had Nvidia drivers before with my OSVR. But even though I didn't really know what you meant by "check all the settings", I plugged back my default monitor and opened NVidia Control panel, disabled GSync and then plugged my CV1 back in and it connected. Thanks flexy123 and screw you NVidia.
  • funnywheenofunnywheeno Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Synthetic said:
    ...unpluged rift and de-powered all connections...
    This is where you lost me. De-power USB connections? Tried my best to follow these instructions but no luck for me. I DID wind up getting it rolling again after checking some more into the HDMI connection on the Rift side. Until now, it didn't appear to me that this connection was even something that you could unplug. And I didn't want to tug on it too hard because I was afraid of causing damage. But you can see on the inside there is this little button (CV1) in the top left corner where the cable connects. It's not really a button from what I can see, but if you carefully tug the cable you can see it loosening the connection there. I did that and pushed it back in tight and the headset worked again. At least for now. Could it be that there are multiple problems all with the same symptoms?
  • rustydraftrustydraft Posts: 8
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    If you lose , break, or otherwise have an Oculus Rift Cable failure They wont sell you one ! My cable broke, its a pushed in pin, if you google you will see they have a lot of issues with this cord, however i picked up my rift for 500 used, so 5 months later when the hdmi plug broke Oculus pretty much said to pound sand. They will replace your cable if they decide its a defect, if you can provide the online order number , or a receipt from someplace like say best buy. if they decide its not a defect, or you lost your receipt you are screwed end of story. who sells a 600 device with a removable cable, and than decides NOT to sell the cable to customers? ill even copy paste the reply from the great folks at Oculus " Morty (Oculus Support) Jan 26, 4:55 PM PST Hi John, I understand the disappointment, but we need to be in contact with the original purchaser to verify the order details for replacement. The limited warranty that Oculus supplies with the Rift follows the original owner to the original country of purchase. The limited warranty can be found here Replacement parts may be available for sale in the future, but is not available at this time. Thank you for your understanding, Morty Oculus Support Anyone who thinks this is a brain dead move "not selling cables" please feel free to google this problem, pay close attention to the Official Oculus Rift Forums ....hahahah I now have a 500 paperweight ! 
    Pay close attention to the part where he says spare parts are not available for sale at this time !