cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Rift Coaster to work

jweaver
Heroic Explorer
EDIT: Just downloaded the new version (not the one provided in the Torrent) and it seems other than the resolution, its already setup.. And my sound is working.. So this might be irrelevant!

I am sure there are a lot of people who want to get Rift Coaster working and I am searching around and getting there, but still havn't got it working 100%.

My very first problem was finding the application itself.. I insatlled mine in E:\Oculus Rift\Demos, so the shortcut is:

"E:\Oculus Rift\Demos\Rift Coaster\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe"

My first problem is that the version I had, has the birds (only in one eye), I know this is the old version as they have been removed, so I am downloading it again.

From the start, its not in 3D or Stereo, so after a bit of searching, I learned that you need to edit:

...\UDK\RiftCoaster\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini

And change:

[Engine.Stereo3D]
bEnabled=False

to

[Engine.Stereo3D]
bEnabled=True

That makes things Side By Side 3D.. But does not introduce the necessary barrel distortion. This is done by editing:

...\UDK\RiftCoaster\UDKGame\Config\UDKSystemSettings.ini

And changing

[SystemSettings]
DepthOfField=False

to

[SystemSettings]
DepthOfField=True

Also, in the UDKSystemSettings.ini file you can change the following:

ResX=1280
ResY=720
ScreenPercentage=100.000000

The ResX/Y is obvious.. But the ScreenPercentage can be set from 100 to 200... 200 is best, but apparently 150 is a good compromise, but on my system if I run 1920x1080 and set Screen% to 150 its not great.. So I am back at 100.

And in the UDKEngine.ini file you also set your IPD

EyeDistance=0.064000

You can also do this in the console window by hitting Tab whilst the demo is running and typing:

stereo e=0.0xxx (where xxx is your IPD in mms).. NB.. Be careful with this, if you type it wrong (i.e 0.64) it will mess things up, and the change is permanent meaning that you have to go into the UDKEngine.ini file to fix it!

I have got this far, but have no sound, so have given up.. Any ideas why I have no sound..

Can anyone add to this?
27 REPLIES 27

Taniz
Honored Guest
Im having problem getting my Rift Coaster to work.

http://s9.postimg.org/brxxtj0z3/UDK.jpg

This is how my roller coaster looks like, even tough this is from another game, the view is similar.

What do I need to do so it shows correct image?

EDIT. Vireo Perception was on, and shutting it down fixed the problem

jfarque
Honored Guest
My RiftCoaster demo spins to the left the entire time making it essentially unwatchable. Anyone know what this is or have some instructions on how to get RiftCoaster to work properly?

Thanks

nellus
Honored Guest
don't run in stereo, i wrote in console
stereo on
and
hmdwarp on (for distortion)

but the game remains in 2d

Walky
Explorer
Do you have the Rift plugged in? otherwise it won't work.

Walky
Explorer
"jfarque" wrote:
My RiftCoaster demo spins to the left the entire time making it essentially unwatchable. Anyone know what this is or have some instructions on how to get RiftCoaster to work properly?

Thanks

Try unplugging/disabling any gamepads or joysticks.

tbhausen
Explorer
Once it's running, how do you stop it?

10/10... yay!

jweaver
Heroic Explorer
"tbhausen" wrote:
Once it's running, how do you stop it?

10/10... yay!

Press 'tab' to bring up the console.. And then type "exit"

Anonymous
Not applicable
just received my rift and followed the edits as detailed above to get coaster set up but for some reason I get no audio, I have tried a few other demo programs and get sound in those so I'm assuming it's a config setting somewhere causing it....any ideas?

NM.... found I'd downloaded the wrong version (the one without sounds)

Infe
Honored Guest
In case it helps someone, today I installed RiftCoaster (don't have my OR yet) and it worked fine, except everything was pink! Editted the inis and enabled bloom and now all is normal. Can't wait to try it with the Rift!