cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Blocks Revive in latest Update Good or Bad?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
The latest Oculus Home update now blocks the revive injector from working so if you paid for any content that's exclusive to Oculus Home to play on the Vive you'll get an entitlement check failure message. This had been a warning anyway. For some, this is a good thing but for the open community it's perhaps not so great and will undoubtedly encourage a cat and mouse game with getting revive to work once more.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
214 REPLIES 214

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
My view is this. Free content such as Lucky's Tale should certainly be blocked for those who haven't paid for it with their Rift purchase. But those who buy games are putting money into the Oculus system regardless of whether they own a Rift or not. This isn't a bad thing. If Oculus block revive from working then eventually it will simply encourage people to Pirate the games where no one gets any money (Oculus or developer).

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Over all its a No vote from me... its a bad thing if the vive does not get official access to the oculus store, and HMD exclusive suck hairy balls and is a bad thing for us,

However as it was before with vive users able to essentially pirate the free oculus content it was certainly not great and I think oculus had to do something in the short term at least..

Maybe I am hopelessly naive but i am still hoping vive will get official oculus store access.

To be fair, Palmer Lucky himself warned it would possibly not be a long term solution.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

jon
Heroic Explorer

The latest Oculus Home update now blocks the revive injector from working so if you paid for any content that's exclusive to Oculus Home to play on the Vive you'll get an entitlement check failure message. This had been a warning anyway. For some, this is a good thing but for the open community it's perhaps not so great and will undoubtedly encourage a cat and mouse game with getting revive to work once more.

I voted 'yes' as that most closely, though not completely matches my opinion.

More accurately:

Should Oculus go out of it's way to block or break Revive: No.

Should Oculus spend any time or resources preventing this or future updates from breaking Revive: No.

I think it reasonable that people who buy applications on Oculus Home using Revive should have no expectation of support from Oculus.  Complain to the people behind Revive.

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer
This is a very important quote, which is relevant to this situation:

If customers buy a game from us, I don't care if they mod it to run on whatever they want. As I have said a million times (and counter to the current circlejerk), our goal is not to profit by locking people to only our hardware

Who said that?  None other that Palmer Luckey https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3vl7qe/palmer_luckey_on_twitterfun_fact_nintendo_doesnt/cxr...

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

What @jon said. 

Palmer Luckey said as much when ReVive first came out.  This is no different from when 0.7 broke all the apps built with 0.6 and before, or when 1.3 broke all the previous software too.  Oculus stated that future updates would not break OFFICIAL software.  ReVive is a workaround and thus may or may not work with future versions of the SDK.  Sadly, we can expect the same for the DK2.  It worked with 1.3, but don't expect it to work forever.

Oculus has no obligation to ensure ReVive works which is why they said it was not condoned.  They want a full fledged solution for Vive and it looks like Valve or HTC is still preventing it.

Now, I would disagree with Oculus intentionally breaking functionality of ReVive.  Reading between the lines of what Palmer Luckey said, it doesn't look like they are going to break it on purpose.  I also don't think they'll kill DK2 functionality either, unless they really need to as part of a CV1 upgrade or fix.  They're well aware it will cause blowback, even though they've told us all along not to expect support.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer
This isn't the same think as development runtime updates breaking older software.  These are specific security checks they've implemented, which make apps like Revive much more difficult to exist.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

I'll have to look into it a bit more goldenegg.  If they're intentionally trying to block ReVive then it's a different story.  Not such a fan of that.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

mambo1888
Rising Star
Id have to say no for the most part, yes the free stuff should only be for those who own or pre ordered the CV1. I thought Luckys Tale was meant to be for pre Orders only anyway so I was surprised when I seen it was free when I first used 1.2 with my DK2.  

I think most people if not everyone would agree that they would prefer to launch all their VR content from the one place, wether thats Steam VR or Oculus Home. I sold my DK2 but I still have a Vive so revive is great for me as it lets me play the content I bought from Oculus Home until my pre order arrives. 

I hope in the long run a compromise can be made that will allow users to natively add games from Steam to Oculus and vice versa. 

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
Developers. They have the right to decide on that topic.

If they want the game for the Vive and not for Oculus: Their choice.
If they want the game for Oculus and not for Vive: Their choice.

We all know (or should know) that many of the games that are coming "exclusively" to the Rift are only "exclusive" because they were financed by Oculus in the first place. The reason? To create content. You know: "If there is no content, VR will fail! (and stuff)."
So they financed the creation of content. For themselfs. Because they were alone in the wild for quite some time.

These "exclusives" were specifically made to run good on the Rift.

However: If other developers (not financed by Oculus) are putting out games exclusively for the Rift or the Vive, then I think the developers have all the right to decide on that.

I don't find these hacks good in any way. I may be in the minority with that opinion.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛