cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

black/colour banding on dark scenes/shadows (256 colour mode effect)

marwood82
Explorer

ive notice an odd issue with applications where there is a lot of black on the screen.

its there are parts of the image that almost look like theyre in 256 colour mode.

heres a picture of the sky on oculus video for example (the moon theater is particularly bad)

1fl2f68c7lar.png

but its also affecting the shadows in the theater it also happens on cineveo and on videos themselves. if theres a dark scene the video is very pixelated as though the black is not rendering properly.

im using CV1 but i plugged in the Dk2 to check and its also doing it on that too, so i don't think its a faulty unit it looks like a software issue? 

anyone else had this?(and been able to fix it?)

32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, I get color banding on the left eye with the CV1. 😞

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
Oculus Video uses 256 colour textures*. It's nothing to do with your Rift. Just that one piece of software.

* You're exagerating, it's actually 16 bit colour, or 65536 colours. Still a lot less than the 17 million we're used to in other applications.

marwood82
Explorer
It's not just oculus video. The starfield on elite dangerous, the sky on apollo 11 Vr, cineveo etc anything with a lot of black on the screen

snorbitz
Protege
I have the same problem in my list of problems along with Red Tint and a faulty Hdmi cable. 
The spud tool used for fixing red tint exaggerates this issue. 

Lemming1970
Rising Star

marwood82 said:

ive notice an odd issue with applications where there is a lot of black on the screen.

its there are parts of the image that almost look like theyre in 256 colour mode.

heres a picture of the sky on oculus video for example (the moon theater is particularly bad)

1fl2f68c7lar.png

but its also affecting the shadows in the theater it also happens on cineveo and on videos themselves. if theres a dark scene the video is very pixelated as though the black is not rendering properly.

im using CV1 but i plugged in the Dk2 to check and its also doing it on that too, so i don't think its a faulty unit it looks like a software issue? 

anyone else had this?(and been able to fix it?)

Just had a look at that in my rift, and it's just a poor quality backdrop. mine look identical to that image. Quick solution don't use that back drop it's poo.

Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

marwood82
Explorer

Just had a look at that in my rift, and it's just a poor quality backdrop. mine look identical to that image. Quick solution don't use that back drop it's poo.

what about playing videos?

something like the opening scene of the force awakens shows it up
its hard to image it, i've tried here, but the mottled effect you can see on his coat are what i see in the rift.
bright scenes are fine, its just as though theres a level of black after which its replacing with dark greens/greys/reds with a pixelated effect. disabling SPUD doesnt have any effect on it.
 ytem0rafv9a9.jpg

i get the same behavior playing videos using vorpx desktop and in the starfield in elite dangerous.

DocStrange
Explorer
Just following up on this - I have the same artifact. I hadn't noticed the '256 bit-like' blacks before but now I can't unsee it. Ugh.
I've uninstalled everything Oculus related then re-installed but same artifacts.  Unfortunately forgot to save my games so another 68GB to vacuum.

Is there any word on a possible software fix for this?  I opened the ticket last Friday and support has been quick to respond and I'm now waiting for an RMA I guess.

Thrushbeard
Honored Guest
Yeah I am having the same issue. Right side only. Tried everything you guys and others have suggested. Any fix? I am about to submit a ticket.

Erasmus_Tycho
Honored Guest
Just got my Oculus earlier this week... after nearly 4 months of waiting.  I'm not going to be pleased if I have to now RMA this thing back and wait another month(s) to get a functional one.  The right eye display exhibits these issues and I've yet to find a solution.  Switch from a 780 ti to a 1080 GTX thinking that might fix the problem, I was wrong.