/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Quake updated for 1.4, CV1

phoboslabphoboslab Posts: 10

I finally found some time to update my fork of the Quakespasm engine to work with the newest Oculus SDK. Still a gorgeous game after all these years. VR legs recommended!

Download Link, a video and some more info:
http://phoboslab.org/log/2016/05/quake-for-oculus-rift

Tagged:

Comments

• obzenobzen Posts: 713
    Nexus 6
    Cool. Gotta try that :)
  • FingerMcPokeyeFingerMcPokeye Posts: 240
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2016
    Oh man, that's nice.

Any way to get a crosshair?  "Crosshair 1" in the console doesn't seem to work.

Edit: LOL, ok so basically a bunch of badass crosshair options through the in game menu.  Derp.
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 143
    Art3mis
    does this support any HD textures?
  • DosBossDosBoss Posts: 8
    edited May 2016
    Google the QRP (Quake restoration project), download the .pk3 file and rename it to .zip, open it up and copy the textures there and paste them into a new folder named 'textures' inside your id1 folder, you can also copy the ammo pickup textures and such out of its folder as well, however this engine doesn't support gun, enemy or world model textures unfortunately, otherwise it looks super nice!
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 201
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2016
    Can someone update Quake 2 for the CV1, please? :D
    https://github.com/q2vr/quake2vr
    It was one of the best DK2 apps I've played.
  • NjayNLNjayNL Posts: 137
    Art3mis
    Yeah would be awesome indeed !
    I actually started working on bringing support to Quake2XP this weekend, going well so far!
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 2,299 Valuable Player
    I think I just peed a little :neutral:
    Nexus 6
    DosBoss said:
    I actually started working on bringing support to Quake2XP this weekend, going well so far!
    That sounds amazing man! Please keep us updated with the progress :)
    Art3mis
    DosBoss said:
    Google the QRP (Quake restoration project), download the .pk3 file and rename it to .zip, open it up and copy the textures there and paste them into a new folder named 'textures' inside your id1 folder, you can also copy the ammo pickup textures and such out of its folder as well, however this engine doesn't support gun, enemy or world model textures unfortunately, otherwise it looks super nice!
    thanks! looks great now
  • BomarrOrderBomarrOrder Posts: 14
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Is there any way to disable the screen shake effect when shooting?
    edited June 2016

"v_gunkick  0" in the command line should do it

• BomarrOrderBomarrOrder Posts: 14
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    DosBoss said:

"v_gunkick  0" in the command line should do it

Thanks! That helps a lot.
  • NamelessPFGNamelessPFG Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just gave it a quick test run, and it worked well! Didn't feel motion sick hurtling around with ESDF, though the lack of a crosshair or laser sights took a bit of adjustment considering that my gun was still slaved to my viewpoint, quite unlike if you'd played ArmA with a TrackIR.

This takes me back to my first VR experience, actually - going to one of those LAN gaming centers in the late '90s and playing Quake, except this one time, I got a Forte VFX1 on my head and a Cyberpuck in my hand. I was just thrilled that this thing was actually tracking my head movements, and pretty well at that!

VR's come a pretty long way since then, to say the least.
    Art3mis
     though the lack of a crosshair or laser sights took a bit of adjustment considering that my gun was still slaved to my viewpoint,
    crosshair is under vr options
  • konstantin_lozevkonstantin_lozev Posts: 160
    Hiro Protagonist
    DosBoss said:
    Awesome, I hope it's with detached aiming likw Quake II VR
    Nexus 6
    DosBoss said:
    Awesome, I hope it's with detached aiming likw Quake II VR
    Touch support would be even better. :D
  • Ricktor_BlackRicktor_Black Posts: 194
    Art3mis
    This is so cool!  I just played a short session, it super cool to see Quake in VR!  Thanks!!
    Art3mis
    so theres a new free quake episode from Machine Games   
    http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/quake/256566/machine-games-launches-a-free-new-quake-episode  ;
    anyone figure out how to run it with this?

• Ricktor_BlackRicktor_Black Posts: 194
    Art3mis
    I haven't tried yet, but if they created the levels in a *.pak file, then all you should need to do is drop that .pak in the ID folder.  I'm pretty sure that's how it worked in the old days.
  • Can someone explain to me in simple terms how I get this up and running.  I have downloaded and unzipped Quakespasm-Rift-2.1 and quakespasm-0.92.0_win64, but I haven't got a clue what to do next.

I would appreciate any help.  Thanks.
  • This is my favourite thing on the VR right now.

Joeshmoe44 : Unzip the contents in the "quakespasm-rift" foler into the directory where your base directory is -> quake.exe/quakeGL. Then run :"quakespasm-sdl2"
  • lairyboylairyboy Posts: 34
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Awesome blast from the past. Thanks Phoboslab.
    Nexus 6
    DosBoss said:
    Any updates on this? :)
  • This is my favourite thing on the VR right now.

Joeshmoe44 : Unzip the contents in the "quakespasm-rift" foler into the directory where your base directory is -> quake.exe/quakeGL. Then run :"quakespasm-sdl2"
    Thanks for the help Tokyo_Funk, but you might have to break it down a bit more for my small brain to comprehend.

I don't have a "quake.exe" file, nor do I have a sub-folder called "quakeGL".

I already have a folder with "quakespasm-sdl2.exe" in, which is my "quakespasm-0.92.0_win64" folder.  I can open this to play Quake on my monitor without any issues.

The "Quakespasm-Rift-2.1" folder has sub-folders called; Linux, MacOSX, Misc, Quake and Windows.  As well as a few other text files.  Should I simply be able to copy and paste these into the same folder as "quakespasm-sdl2.exe"?

Again, any help is very much appreciated.
  • Tokyo_FunkTokyo_Funk Posts: 27
    edited August 2016
    I think your problem is, you're downloading the source code, not the main file: Usee this link -> https://github.com/phoboslab/Quakespasm-Rift/releases

Under downloads select only " quakespasm-rift-win-2.1.zip "

Do not touch -> 
    You have been downloading the source code, not the game
  • Macready1979Macready1979 Posts: 29
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Hi, sorry for bumping this topic but could you also add touch controller support pls?
    Art3mis
    Hi, sorry for bumping this topic but could you also add touch controller support pls?
    that would be awesome
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 1,145 Poster of the Week
    I'm still waiting for the classic doom version for VR with touch.
    Low grafix and everything included. It would be Uber pwntacular
    Art3mis
    elboffor said:
    I'm still waiting for the classic doom version for VR with touch.
    Low grafix and everything included. It would be Uber pwntacular
    don't know if you knew but you can play classic doom in VR but without touch. really hope its updated with touch

http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/