cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift performance slows down over time - reboot helps

Ricktor_Black
Adventurer
Does anybody else have this problem?  When I first boot up my PC in connect Rift and sensor, everything seems fine.  I have a fast computer with a 970 and everything I've thrown at the Rift runs amazing, including Elite: Dangerous with "VR High" settings.  What I've been noticing over the past few days is that if I leave my PC running with the Rift connected, usually when I get back to my PC (this is usually after several hours) the Rift behaves like crap.  I get frame drops and choppy performance.   The sound has a lot of static and gets choppy as well.  It's almost  unplayable and this isn't in a taxing game... this is even in the Home room.  If I reboot the PC and try again... everything runs like a charm again.  It's almost like there is a memory leak or something which takes time to become a problem.  Anybody else seeing this?  I haven't been able to narrow down yet what could be causing it.
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a similar problem as you. Upon start up the Rift would run fine, however after using another application like Chrome and then going back to using the Rift, tracking becomes choppy or laggy. I have to reboot in order to run smooth again. But here is the weird part. If I use the Rift upon start up with Virtual Desktop, then I can use Chrome or anything other app without any problem. I even have a VM running without any lag.

I'm running a Asus Z170 Pro, CPU 6700K, 16GB ram, EVGA 980Ti, 500GB M.2 Samsung

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Crazy things have been happening ever since the 1.4 update to the software. I reboot once per day as well if I use my PC for anything other than VR; the current version of Oculus Home is a selfish woman 😮

Hopefully version 1.5 will make her play friendly with the locals, na' mean?

Ricktor_Black
Adventurer
Ok, well it's strangely comforting knowing the problem isn't just me.  I guess I'll wait and see with the eventual new update.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I read this somewhere, but I've no idea if it's true or not. Oculus don't say anything, so it's anyone's guess if it's true. 

"There are issues with Oculus 1.4, causing GPU's to downclock when the Oculus Home Environment loads, Even when Forcing GPU to Higher Clocks, once you launch an APP, it will revert back. Mainly Effects AMD and Some nVidia Cards."

Xodroc
Honored Guest
Having this problem too ever since 1.4,  Dual Xeon System, Lots of Ram, Titan X.  Have to reboot to get back to smooth operation.  In addition to major sensor dragging, the home screen is also oriented incorrectly as are apps aside from Virtual Desktop.  Too much interruption of my workflow, less VR deving for me.

JamesAllan1979
Honored Guest
Hi all,

I am having the exact same issue.  970 with an i5 6600k 3.5gz CPU and 16gb of DDR4 memory.  Some VR apps and games work well for about 15 minutes and some only 2 minutes before beginning to drop frames and get glitchy and audio static will get progressively worse until I can't play anymore.  Unplugging the rift and plugging it back in again fixes the issue for another 15 minutes or so.

Seems to be worse on the more taxing games like Robo Recall but even watching movies in big screen will end up like this after 20 minutes or so.

Any ideas out there?

MaverickTurco
Explorer
did you guyes tried to change the USB connection?