/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

gear vr can hurt eyes while watching series?

kimsamankimsaman Posts: 6
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
edited June 2016 in Samsung Gear VR
hi 
i have a gear vr
i want to use gear vr everyday
i want to watch series about 3hours daily
if i watch series about 3hours with gear vr everyday, my eyes can be hurt or no?

Comments

• NofewNofew Posts: 22
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited June 2016
    It depends on how well-filmed the videos you're watching are, and how well you've set up your goggles.

If you plan to play around in VR routinely, it's absolutely critical that you make sure the inter-pupil distance is set up just right for you so you're not going cross-eyed or wall-eyed. Likewise, the positioning on your face should be such that things aren't blurry and you don't continuously need to look anywhere but straight ahead to see things clearly.

I don't know if you can adjust those settings on Gear VR; to sum it up, as long as your eyes aren't hurting *at all*, you're good. If it's even just a tiny bit painful, go adjust things until it's just right, then do anything it takes to remember how the headset's sitting on your face, how tight the straps are, and so on.

As for the particular series, some are filmed better than others. If you want to see one that's filmed absoutely *horrendously*, go grab "The Source" from "Within". I'm not sure if that's on Gear VR, but on my Rift, it's absolutely *morbid* trying to watch that for even one minute. Whoever filmed it made the cameras way too close together and it forces me to go super-duper cross-eyed. x.x
  • birkbirk Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2016
    I think it´s extremely unlikely that it will permanently damage your eyes, but can give you eyestrain and headache. here´s a optometrist talking about what VR does to your eyes

• JinnisaurusJinnisaurus Posts: 49
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    It has been proposed and suggested for medical studies of any adverse effects of the current VR glasses on individuals in several universities. Among the most concerns is the distance of the screen to the human eye.

Although the user feels that the objects in VR are meters away.. in reality, the screen is less than 8cm. This distance is a concern as the device does emits very minimal ionizing radiation and thermal energies.

Though different parties have difference hypothese and opinion, most of us are concern of the development of cataracts. Its been hypothesized that the small ionizing radiation and constant thermal energies emitted from the device will likely cause bilateral cataracts at 20-60 years of usage. This is calculation is based on the eye lens's deterministic effect on insults (instead of stochastic effects of the body cells, which are capable of repair) This length is shorten if using mobile data or WIFI at the same time.

But then again.. i doubt anyone would be in their VR device for that long..
  • dcj91xdcj91x Posts: 33
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I hate to let you know but in a study it's been proven that 100% of all Gear VR users end up dying.
  • mehdikhorshidimehdikhorshidi Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    dcj91x said:
    I hate to let you know but in a study it's been proven that 100% of all Gear VR users end up dying.
    really!!!? is this right? other users confirm this saying?
  • mehdikhorshidimehdikhorshidi Posts: 2
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    so gear vr user can't  watch drama and movie every hour? eyes will be hurt?
  • jacobmarleyjacobmarley Posts: 7
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited February 15
    Hate to break it to you but most of us put on the vr to dodge drama.. if you want drama just get a job and have friends in RL :)
     also beware dihydrogen monoxide.. everyone who has ever consumed dihydrogen monoxide has died or is going to die and it's present in everywhere in our environment!   
  • darkangel6415darkangel6415 Posts: 148
    Hiro Protagonist
    dcj91x said:
    really!!!? is this right? other users confirm this saying?
    They are right eventually they die, not sure if 30 or 100 years down the road but still LOL