cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter User Reviews

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Please post your rating of this game taking into consideration fun factor, value for money, overall polish and using the following criteria if you have purchased/played the game:

5 Stars - Awesome Must Buy
4 Stars - Very Good Not essential.
3 Stars - Average 
2 Stars - Below Average
1 Star  - Poor/ Avoid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYAV4ItSWTs

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
11 REPLIES 11

LZoltowski
Champion
Great game, played both in teleport and normal mode. Normal mode caused a bit of VR wobbles, but only in first 10 minutes then all was good. Amazing graphics and a great story. Highly recommend. I found myself looking around behind plants and buildings like a curious child in a spooky abandoned town.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

EmberFox
Protege
I think it's a must have if you like to explore abandoned places, I also loved the narration

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I'm sure if played on the monitor this game is fun. But in VR there motion sickness was too much to take (and I can spin in space for an hour straight without getting sick).

I've spent a total of 2 hours in Ethan Carter and I must say that even as a puzzle game I wasn't very impressed. I come from the Myst series (I beat each Myst game in the franchise); as well as other legends like, "The Longest Journey." Considering the masterpiece titles that made puzzle-solving a noteworthy gaming genre... I found Ethan Carter to be a bit lackluster. To me it feels like it's only good if you've never experienced the other godly puzzle games.

Just my personal take; I mean no offense to anyone who loves this game!

cybereality
Grand Champion
I tried this finally last night. It seemed interesting, and I liked similar games like Dear Esther, but it didn't really grab me. Just walking around an empty world with maybe a thing here and there. Would probably have kept playing if I didn't reach the tilted house and get sick. I was doing good for the first hour or so (even running) but the slanted house was too much. I had to stop playing and lay down for like 30 minutes to recover.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Iblysi
Heroic Explorer
The game itself is great and the story is cool as well. But in VR it's making my stomach turn and my head spin. 

Luciferous
Consultant

I tried this finally last night. It seemed interesting, and I liked similar games like Deer Esther, but it didn't really grab me. Just walking around an empty world with maybe a thing here and there. Would probably have kept playing if I didn't reach the tilted house and get sick. I was doing good for the first hour or so (even running) but the slanted house was too much. I had to stop playing and lay down for like 30 minutes to recover.

Maybe you can give the Oculus team a nudge into allowing Devs to have mouse and keyboard support 🙂

The devs said Oculus said No.

flibberflops
Expert Protege
As I have mentioned in another thread this game should actually get two reviews.

The Open world game is very good. The graphics are very good indeed and even quite stunning in some places. I loved roaming around the abandoned setting. Their are puzzles which are not that challanging but good enough to hold your interest. I was quite upset when the game ended... I wanted more! A warning should be given that roaming about in the open world has got the potential to make you a bit VR sick if you don't turn with your body.

The VR comfort mode game, although the same game should be given a far lower rating. For a start there are a very few teleport points so the game is very limited (you lose the sense of roaming). However far worse is that the teleport points are buggy and you can get to a point where you cannot progress purely because of these bugs.

Awsedrftg
Protege
Not exactly my type of story but I liked the freedom of walking around in a beautiful landscape (way more beautiful than edge of nowhere). It took me a few short sessions to loose the nausea though but when I finally got used to it I kept playing all the way to the end. 

Lawyer4Ever
Protege
I gave it a 1 star because its the only VR game I have played that made me sick as a dog right away.  All other VR games I have played, including Lucky's Tale, Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, Eve Valkyrie, Edge of Nowhere, Chronos, Dirt Rally and Apollo 11 have not bothered me at all.