/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

HDMI isnt plugged in TOUCHING the headset

ZetaZZetaZ Posts: 2
Hi. I got my CV1 headset one week ago. All worked fine. In these last three days im having an issue with the headset : randomly, during a session game, or in oculus home, if i TOUCH the headset with my hands (the front of the headset) for adjusting the position/comfort for my face, oculus home notify " hdmi isn't plugged in" and then quickly it say "expired", cause the headset reconnect again. I notice this issue happen randomly and ONLY if i touch the headset gently. 

I tried switching usb port (3.0) and tried also usb 2.0 The headset works great but also in 2.0 randomly "hdmi isn't plugged in" (moving the headset with my hands) and alone it reconnect again instantly.

Removing HDMI from my GTX 970 EVGA FTW NON OC and plugged in again didn't help. The hdmi port on my GPU seems ok also the port of the CV1 is ok. All pins are there and in good position.

I tried also moving the hdmi/usb cable of the rift directly connected on my headset, try to understand if was a problem of contacts. No issues coming moving the cable. 

So its clear that this happen to me sometimes JUST if i TOUCH the headset. Weird!
Please need an help cause a really enjoing CV1 with my 970.

Hope to hear from you soon, im sorry for my bad english.

Regards

Comments

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 1,833 Poster of the Week
    Have you unplugged and then replugged in the Rift end of the cable?
  • ZetaZZetaZ Posts: 2
    TwoHedWlf said:
    Have you unplugged and then replugged in the Rift end of the cable?
    Yes i unplugged hdmi and usb and replugged also. Issue persists.
    To be honest this problem happens really randomly. I can play for 1hr then i need to touch the headset for comfort and the notify comes up and instant goes "expired" cause its replugged alone. 
  • BajBaj Posts: 21
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Did you try and unplug the cable FROM THE RIFT (not the pc)?
  • i have the samme issue. i tried to solve it by taping the rift side connector so it fits tight but that doesn't help. very annoying for it quits my iracing session and discord.
  • Baz_uKBaz_uK Posts: 131
    Art3mis
    I had that problem, a slight twist of the headset causes it, no more as if putting it on ur head. Think it may be dry joints or something.  Unfortunately think you need a replacement.  
  • StoneMaysonStoneMayson Posts: 7
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    This post EXACTLY describes my problems! I think I have looked through every forum thread, trouble shooting guide there is on related problems , and tried many of the suggested solutions *. Then I stumbled upon this thread, and oddly enough this is the post that best describes my problem:

* A short "HDMI disconnected" (which immediately expires and reconnects, but game doesn't recover).
    * Always when touching the HMD, either to adjust it, or to scratch my nose, and some times when taking it off. But quite difficult to narrow down exactly what movement causes it.
    * No problems for the first 2 weeks, but then gradually more frequent, as if something is degrading.
    * Also running on a GTX 970, although I doubt this matters since I now suspect the actual hardware is broken.

I was almost sure it was the connector or cable, since it often happened when I had my hand on the left side of the HMD, or extended the head straps on the left side, but (carefully) wiggling or tugging/pusing on the cable at the RIFT connector, and bending of the cable behind it, does not reproduce the error. Only when adjusting or touching the HMD. Very weird indeed. Worse, it happens more and more frequently.

I now suspect that the problem relies in the hardware somwhere behind the Rifts proprietary connector (in the HMD). Not sure though. The cables have never been accidently stretched ( I had only been flying simulators, sitting down at my desk when it started happening), I have never dropped the HMD or banged my head into anything. It just started happening one day and has gradually become more frequent.

Did you find a solution ZetaZ? This is driving me crazy!! I feel reluctant to use the Rift any more since each session will most likely get ruined :(. Unless I find a solution soon I will just return it to the retailer where I bought it. Seems like an awful waste of resources though if there is a solution for it out there.

(* firmware, drivers, checking HDMI connectors in both ends inspecting the pins, getting a PCI-E USB 3.0 card, switching around USB cables between different controllers, disabling power saving on all USB controllers, covering the light sensor while playing, and many more things)

Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Baz_uK said:
    I had that problem, a slight twist of the headset causes it, no more as if putting it on ur head. Think it may be dry joints or something.  Unfortunately think you need a replacement.  
    Yes, a slight twist in the vertical seems like one of the most consistent ways of reproducing it. What do you mean with dry joints?
  • JaimieVandenberghJaimieVandenbergh Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    "Dry joints" are when the soldered connections on the circuit board aren't well done, or have cracked - either way, they give intermittent conductance. Can happen with circuit board to socket joints particularly, due to the mechanical stress. 

First pop off the headset facemask and replug the cables a couple of times to make sure it's not a bad connection between plugs and sockets before worrying about the soldering though.
  • RedXairRedXair Posts: 3
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I had exactly the same problem, tried many things before contacting support who were really helpful, they asked a few questions and decided I needed a replacement cv1. Whole process took a couple of weeks and this was over xmas holidays.

Pleased to report I've not had not one disconnect with the replacment rift and now have the confidence to move and touch the headest again without worry.

My advice to you is get in touch with support and get a replacement.

All the best.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    "Dry joints" are when the soldered connections on the circuit board aren't well done, or have cracked - either way, they give intermittent conductance. Can happen with circuit board to socket joints particularly, due to the mechanical stress. 

First pop off the headset facemask and replug the cables a couple of times to make sure it's not a bad connection between plugs and sockets before worrying about the soldering though.
    Aha. Yes that is what I suspect, just didn't know the English words for it. Yes I have tried replugging the cables in both ends several times. Also none of the pins seem damaged in any way. I think I will just go back with it to my retailer. I've only had it for 6 weeks now. Thank you for your reply.
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Pleased to report I've not had not one disconnect with the replacment rift and now have the confidence to move and touch the headest again without worry.
    This is encouraging. Glad to see I'm not alone. Will get a new one at my retailer then. Hopefully they can reuse most of the parts of the one sent back.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 21,391 Oculus Staff
    Please contact Oculus Support. In many cases we can replace the product. Thanks.
    https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Thalion7Thalion7 Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I have exactly the same problem. I tried everything. It's randomly and happens sometimes if put off my headset and put it on again. So i am not the only one.
  • JayVaughnJayVaughn Posts: 32
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    edited March 2
    I have also experienced this notification. It hasn't affected gameplay. There was only a couple times it went to a black screen before fixing itself. You should check out a fix that someone thought of.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/46883/make-sure-the-cable-doesnt-tug-on-the-headset-plug-solution

Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    JayVaughn said:
    I have also experienced this notification. It hasn't affected gameplay. There was only a couple times it went to a black screen before fixing itself. You should check out a fix that someone thought of.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/46883/make-sure-the-cable-doesnt-tug-on-the-headset-plug-solution

Yeah, I actually attempted to fix it in a similar way (but using a piece of cloth as to not damage the head strap) before coming to this forum. But the problem is not with the cable or the cable connector itself but seems to be internal (soldering).
    Please contact Oculus Support. In many cases we can replace the product. Thanks.
    https://support.oculus.com/
    I sent it back to you guys through the retailer through who I have the warranty (net-on-net in Umeå / Sweden). He wrote down my description of the problem but afterwards I saw he didn't include everything I said. So if you are working in that department and it hasn't been handled yet (been waiting 2.5 weeks now) one important fact is that the problem gets worse the longer you have it on (so testers should let the screen run for a bit first). I'm guessing it depends on the temperature.. Also, he wrote down that I had tried another "unit" without problems. What he didn't write was that this unit was also a Oculus Rift CV1. Kinda important.
  • Bigtime88Bigtime88 Posts: 49
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I had this problem and almost learned to live with the intermittent disconnects. Sent mine back via Oculus support, turn around all within a week (UK to Holland). New one has been perfect, not a single disconnect at all.
    Oculus support were great
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Bigtime88 said:
    I had this problem and almost learned to live with the intermittent disconnects. Sent mine back via Oculus support, turn around all within a week (UK to Holland). New one has been perfect, not a single disconnect at all.
    Oculus support were great

Yeah, maybe I should have gone directly through Oculus support then. But I am unsure if that would screw with my retailer warranty somehow. Hopefully the matter will be resolved soon. I just can't play my sims without the rift anymore.. itching to fly again :)
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Well, I got the replacement rift from the retailer and all my problems are solved. Good thing I went through the retailer also, because Oculus warranty didn't apply, even to them, because of the company they had imported them through. But they were nice enough to give me a new one.