/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

I simply can't wait for cv2 or next oculus rift.

shin777shin777 Posts: 120
Hiro Protagonist
I admit cv1 is huge improvement over dk2 but now I experienced cv1, I want better one. Higher resolution + more games will be nice. I just hope many developers bring out awesome VR titles. No matter how good the toy is, if there aren't enough titles and apps, it's no good. :smile:

I've checked many titles but there aren't any titles I would want to play for long. They are just for wow factors and I quickly lose interest. The only title I spend more than 10 hours on VR is.. you know.. that title. I wouldn't say its name but it's free game and lastest version is 1.5. Starts with W. lol. I saw amazing potential for that game. Right now, it's still early and polygon poppings are bad but with some adjustment and improved models, I can see this will be the future of Otakus. I am happy I bought Oculus for just that title alone. :dizzy:

Comments

• KerynoKeryno Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited February 12
    I was 90% sure it was WSS, confirmed you were talking about it after the "W".  

What you are saying is absolutely true, I truly hope Oculus CV2 comes with 4k per eye, 200-degree FOV like Pimax 8k, but better optics, eye tracking(huge performance gains with foveated rendering), wireless, room-scale(or house-scale with inside-out tracking), comfort, full body tracking(Valve is already trying this with their Vive trackers), etc(intel realsense, recognize facial expressions like what FOVE seems to be working on). I don't know if they will do this, but I would dare to bet they COULD by 2018, making the Rift so good it would become mainstream.

- In bold what I think is EXTREMELY likely to be in the CV2.

The CV1 is great, it really gives us a taste of the future, offers mind-blowing experiences with W**f*s but sadly, as you said, people still think it is a toy.
    VR will change everything, Kurzweil's prediction made in 1999 says that by 2029 VR would become indistinguishable from reality, I believe it now seems very plausible.

Can't wait for the CV2, I hope it comes with a wide FOV so it can replace monitors and let me browse my computer while using a vastly improved version of Mikulus or that other game that shall not be named... Custom... 3D?

btw just 10 hours?  :D

• AntDX3162AntDX3162 Posts: 834
    Nexus 6
    I think it depends on the game.  Project Cars looks kind of bad compared to Assetto Corsa and iRacing.  It's real enough imo to be like real-life though.  I've trained myself to look around properly through corners than have the fixated staring straight type of look.  It helped me become more consistent and faster!!  In VR you don't really have the realistic G forces so you can be training yourself to do it all wrong such as tilting your in the wrong direction when cornering.
    facebook.com/AntDX316
  • VRNinja2017VRNinja2017 Posts: 11
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Does anyone else feel like graphics card companies are holding everything back? I heard the gtx 1070 is basically a 1080 with a couple of bits deactivated to make it run slower. The first thing in peoples minds will be "but profit".... Imagine if they made a 1180 and sold it at current gtx 1060 prices.... They could push quality forward a generation and the massive amount of sales would surely see a profit... I can't help but feel graphics card companies are making a boat load of money, whilst holding progression back at the same time.
    Graphics is everything, The reason that window looks like a texture instead of an actual modeled room is because it will increase polygon count, which means more GPU resources, so when making a game one has to make allowances for that kind of thing.. = less realism... There's various talk about next gen VR headsets all over the internet, the topic usually revolves around "But what graphics card you going to process all that extra resolution with?"
  • Bel-garathBel-garath Posts: 147
    Art3mis
    edited February 12
    I can't wait for the CV2 or HTC Vive 2 because all of beta testing we are doing on their software for CV1  is irritating.
  • whoa182whoa182 Posts: 355
    Trinity
    I think CV2 will probably be announced in 2018 and then released in 2019. By then we'll have Volta graphics cards from Nvidia. 

And If I remember correctly, Kurzweil said we'd have visual and auditory virtual reality by 2019. (age of spiritual machines). I'll have to go back to the book to see all of his 2019 and 2029 predictions.
    CPU: i5-4690K 4.50 GHZ RAM: 8.00 GB Corsair Vengence GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 HDD: 2TB MONITOR: Samsung U28D590 27" 4K Res
  • BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 97
    Hiro Protagonist
    I hope CV2 comes out in no less than 3 years time.

That's the time I need in order to convince the wife that an upgrade is called for...
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 921
    3Jane
    Vr is at a slow start (that was expected before being released) things have to happen before the next Gen happens. Big price drops. More must have games and experiences ETC. there is a long road ahead but be happy we have what we have now. Anyone waiting for next Gen before buying has a long wait. Companies have to start making profits 1st. Even though visuals are limited games will still look better and better up to a point just like gsme consoles improve through their cycle.
  • JaimieVandenberghJaimieVandenbergh Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    Does anyone else feel like graphics card companies are holding everything back? I heard the gtx 1070 is basically a 1080 with a couple of bits deactivated to make it run slower. The first thing in peoples minds will be "but profit".... Imagine if they made a 1180 and sold it at current gtx 1060 prices.... They could push quality forward a generation 
    It takes about 5-8 years to develop a generational leap forward in GPU chips. That's why they're considered a generation. They're not sandbagging, we're only 9 months into the 10xx generation, so only about 3-4 years into the development work for 11xx. They're not holding back for profit, they're working on doing difficult things and are also dependent on chip fabs going smaller-process by another step or two. Which also takes years.

(The 1080Ti they're holding back for profit, until the Titans get bought by everyone who'll buy Titans. But that's a different story, and they're unlikely to be much different from a Titan in performance if the 9xx are anything to go by)

But! Dual-viewpoint rendering, eyetracking and foveated rendering are going to make it feasible to use HMDs with 4k displays with current-gen graphics cards. All we need are 2" 4k displays capable of 90Hz refresh (or better) and no black-edge issues and enough cable bandwidth... Oh, look. Dependencies that mean we can't have everything we want right now.
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 433 Poster of the Week
    Remember guys, without Palmer/Oculus...no one would give a **** about VR still today.
    Make no mistake, VR is coming BIIIIG. Right now most of if is in the mobile sector but it will move very fast.
    A crazy amount of companies incl. Microsoft, google, fb is actively working on VR. Right now it's still sort of a niche thing (at least in regards to high-end VR like Rift or Vive), but it is only a matter of time.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 781 Poster of the Week
    Patience all...5 years ago I never thought VR would be where it is today. Imagine in another five.  These are exciting times.
    Currently playing: Witcher 3 & DOOM | Gear: Liquid cooled MSI Z170A PC Mate | Intel i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 SDRAM 3000 Mhz | GeForce GTX 1080, Acer Predator XB241H G-Sync, Rift/Touch/3 cams.
  • WarblokeWarbloke Posts: 931 Poster of the Week
    That's exactly what I said about 3D TV when it came out... and then... oooh
    "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 2,997 Valuable Player
    Warbloke said:
    That's exactly what I said about 3D TV when it came out... and then... oooh
    3D TV is just about the best TV there is - there just isn't enough content.  But boy do i love watching a good film on my 3D TV.
    I never bought into 3D TV. It's great in a movie theater in IMAX 3D, but you just can't get that same feeling even with a 120" 3D projector in a dedicated home theater.  And how many consumers actually have those types of setups?  To me, VR blows away the experience of 3D by an order of magnitude.
    Currently playing: Witcher 3 & DOOM | Gear: Liquid cooled MSI Z170A PC Mate | Intel i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 SDRAM 3000 Mhz | GeForce GTX 1080, Acer Predator XB241H G-Sync, Rift/Touch/3 cams.
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 433 Poster of the Week
    3DTV is BS. (I was one of the first having a 3DTV Samsung Plasma in Europe). It's BS since no monitor or screen, no matter what size, can give you the necessary Field of View for immersion. It's a half-ass solution art best.
    flexy123 said:
    3DTV is BS. (I was one of the first having a 3DTV Samsung Plasma in Europe). It's BS since no monitor or screen, no matter what size, can give you the necessary Field of View for immersion. It's a half-ass solution art best.

I have an "Optoma DLP 3D 1080p" Projector at home and a "Sony 55" 4k 3D TV" and I think 3D is amazing. I've watched Avatar and clash of the titans and many other blu-ray 3D films on my projector and also some PC games like Batman and Crysis 3 and I really don't know why people say 3D is bad or they don't like it.

I must have watched dozens of films both at the cinema and at home in 3D and I think it's amazing technology. 
    Agreed, the clarity is just incredible on a good 3D TV.
    I have an "Optoma DLP 3D 1080p" Projector at home and a "Sony 55" 4k 3D TV" and I think 3D is amazing. I've watched Avatar and clash of the titans and many other blu-ray 3D films on my projector and also some PC games like Batman and Crysis 3 and I really don't know why people say 3D is bad or they don't like it.

I must have watched dozens of films both at the cinema and at home in 3D and I think it's amazing technology. 
    I have that same projector. But it's like @flexy123 said, the FOV just isn't there. That's what makes IMAX 3D viewing so much more convincing.  I think people like me were hoping for the same level of experience, only to be disappointed at home.  And by the way, I don't think 4k adds anything to a 1080p 3D projector. You need the 4k 3D projector to take advantage of it.  I didn't upgrade because what's the point?

What we all can agree on here is we need 4k per eye VR, then we'd be set and 3D TVs can then fuck off. Am I wrong?
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 768
    3Jane
    I'm looking forward to the day that I can pick up the headset (wireless, resting on a charger) and put it on and use it right away. No cables or external sensor cameras to setup or anything. If I had that ability with the existing tech and games I'd be in heaven!
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 226
    Nexus 6
    edited February 15
    I can't get enough of 3D, I always buy blu-ray movies that come with 3D. I only like real 3D though, not the fake stuff, for example I spent £20 or wasted £20 on buying I-Robot in 3D and it wasn't even 3D, it was that fake 3D stuff. Really sucked. But that's only ever happened to me once or twice. 

Another amazing experience was that Nasa space documentary in 3D, omg that was soooo amazing! when they opened the bag of skittles and through the tennis ball and it was like coming out of the screen into my room and towards my face!!! That was so good, some of the best 3D I've ever seen!!

Back on topic, thread's like this bring sadness to my heart because I am still one of those consumers who're yet to purchase their first HMD. I'm planning on finally buying my first Rift at the end of 2017 after getting the mortgage out of the way. So I'm still very excited. And all I've got to go on with regards to experiencing this technology upto now is a 20 minute demo I had of the HTC Vive about 6 months ago which is now quite hard to remember the whole experience. But all I remember is thinking, wow, this is amazing, and it was only some basic demo's like the one where your stood in the castle with a bow and arrow shooting the little men running towards the doors and also shooting the exploding barrels and baloons.
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    kevink808 said:
    I have that same projector. But it's like @flexy123 said, the FOV just isn't there. That's what makes IMAX 3D viewing so much more convincing.  I think people like me were hoping for the same level of experience, only to be disappointed at home.  And by the way, I don't think 4k adds anything to a 1080p 3D projector. You need the 4k 3D projector to take advantage of it.  I didn't upgrade because what's the point?

What we all can agree on here is we need 4k per eye VR, then we'd be set and 3D TVs can then fuck off. Am I wrong?
    Yes we need 4k per eye VR. Then we can go to a virtual IMAX theatre and watch 3D movies. This is when I think 3D movie content will really take off.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 540
    Trinity
    Well I have only had my Rift for about a month now, and I so love it.
    I am definitely among those that now can't wait for the next generation of this device!
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 21,377 Oculus Staff
    3D displays can still be pretty cool. I have an Optoma 3D projector (115" screen) and a 3D monitor for my PC. It's not a VR experience, but it's something different that is still compelling. Though I find most 3D movies somewhat underwhelming, with games you can get a nice experience. Mostly because you can control the stereo and really make it pop. For VR, the stereo is fixed to real-world dimensions, but on a monitor your can really crank it up and get extreme 3D (even if it sort of makes the world like a diorama, which is fine for most 3rd person titles).

That said, I haven't really used 3D as much in recent years, obviously due to VR headsets becoming popular, but also because using 3D glasses typically makes the image much darker and there are still lots of performance and compatibility issues with the DirectX injection driver model. But it's still interesting to me, especially when you consider the large amount of games (that weren't originally designed for 3D) that are playable.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Thane_Thane_ Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    edited February 16
    3D gaming on a 3DTV is incredible. Fucking period, and NONE of the 3D gamers on Nvidia 3D forums rate their Rifts/Vives as better for gaming than their 3D setups. The problem with recommending 3D gaming on a 3DTV is that there are a hundred caveats you must mention IMO, like:

"Yeah its truly awesome, but..."

- only on a second generation and up 3D TV, because of their high brightness and fast pixels (less crosstalk).

-only good (IMO) if you pull it close for a wide FOV (like VR) such that the horizontal FOV is about that of the RIft. (I must turn my head to look around the world on my setup for example) I view my TV at about 2.5ft, and it replaces my monitor. Or use a projector (also limited to 720p).

HDMI bandwidth limits you to 720p or checkboard (960x1080) resolution.

-try to use a checkboard 3DTV because side-by-side 3D is 720p scaled over 1920x1080 and blurs it quite a bit over the already unclear 720p. Checkerboard miraculously looks like full 1080p.

-when comparing crosstalk among 3DTV, remember to warm the TV up first, there is always heavy crosstalk when its cold and pixels operate much faster when warm.

-there are a few sites that measure TV latency and crosstalk. Some sites do it well, some sites are misleading. I (don't think they warm up their TVs)

- passive 3DTV at close distance suck for gaming, the lines are too big. The 3D gaming community has gotten 4k passive to work and they claim to like it ,but my initial tests of passive 3D at close distances indicated that the passive lines were still just too noticeable.

-Input lag increases slightly with 3D mode on. For competitive online twitch gaming, you might have to turn 3D off to really compete at your highest level. I always turned my 3D off when entering cities or other dangerous areas in DayZ for example, mainly because DayZ has the additional problem of low framerate in cities.

-etc, etc, etc.

Do i still recommend a checkerboard (Samsung only unless old DLP) 3DTV if used close to you for 3D gaming? HELL YES! and don't wait to till you need one either, BUY IT TODAY AND TRY IT if you enjoy immersive gaming, but don't if you play games for points\competition\to enjoy with friends, and have a laugh.

Back on topic, thread's like this bring sadness to my heart because I am still one of those consumers who're yet to purchase their first HMD. I'm planning on finally buying my first Rift at the end of 2017 after getting the mortgage out of the way. So I'm still very excited.
    I'm curious to see how your perspective of 3D TV changes or not after experiencing high-end VR.  (Unless I read your post wrong and you've tried it, you just don't own one yet)  Be sure to post back.
    Thane_ said:
    3D gaming on a 3DTV is incredible. Fucking period, and NONE of the 3D gamers on Nvidia 3D forums rate their Rifts/Vives as better for gaming than their 3D setups. 

Are you talking about, for example, Nvidia 3D Vision? I've never tried 3D gaming as I just assumed it wouldn't be that great on a regular-size monitor < 30 inches.  I just have a hard time with moving my projector into my office for this purpose (it's mounted in my family room), nor do I want to buy another one just for this.  What's the best 3D gaming title bar none?
    edited February 15
    My monitor is 27" and it still looks great. A large screen (like a projector) has it's advantages, but physical displays tend to have better color and brightness, and aren't limited to HDMI 720p so look much crisper (in 1440p for example). 

Probably one of my favorite was the Metro series. It has native 3D support and looks insane (was really taxing at the time, but modern GPUs can probably handle it now). The new Tomb Raiders are also great and have native support. You may also want to check Trine 2, simply amazing. I also really liked Alice: Madness Returns and F.E.A.R 2.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 97
    Hiro Protagonist
    My monitor is 27" and it still looks great. A large screen (like a projector) has it's advantages, but physical displays tend to have better color and brightness, and aren't limited to HDMI 720p so look much crisper (in 1440p for example). 

Probably one of my favorite was the Metro series. It has native 3D support and looks insane (was really taxing at the time, but modern GPUs can probably handle it now). The new Tomb Raiders are also great and have native support. You may also want to check Trine 2, simply amazing. I also really liked Alice: Madness Returns and F.E.A.R 2.
    3D TV is amazing for gaming, indeed. I also loved Alice: Madness Returns. My absolute favorite are Batman: Arkhum City and DCS World. I used a 42 inch LG 3DTV. Amazing stuff.
    Oh, I forgot Batman. Played the original Arkham Asylum and it was great.
  • Thane_Thane_ Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    edited February 17

kevink808 said:
    Thane_ said:
    3D gaming on a 3DTV is incredible. Fucking period, and NONE of the 3D gamers on Nvidia 3D forums rate their Rifts/Vives as better for gaming than their 3D setups. 

Are you talking about, for example, Nvidia 3D Vision? I've never tried 3D gaming as I just assumed it wouldn't be that great on a regular-size monitor < 30 inches.  I just have a hard time with moving my projector into my office for this purpose (it's mounted in my family room), nor do I want to buy another one just for this.  What's the best 3D gaming title bar none?
    I think small monitors are part of the reason 3D gaming fizzled out a little and i don't recommend them unless its your only option. I tried switching over to the biggest 3D monitor of 27" for its full 1080p capability from my crappy 1st generation Sony 46" ( extra crosstalk edition) and ended up only using it for Battlefield 3 due to its reduced input lag and ultimately selling it after i finally tried checkerboard 3D and saw that it basically looked like 1080p.

I think the reason a large monitor is required to produce a great 3D effect is because of the higher FOV it has. The FOV is important because it increases the 2D size of objects which is a big factor in human depth and size perception. (yet another caveat i forgot to mention above). Ultimately this means the 3D information matches the 2D information, creating a very real looking "holy shit, i can't believe this isn't real" 3D picture.

Its hard not to say every game is amazing in 3D for me. I also recommend Metro 2033 (not redux tho). Skyrim is amazing, its amazing to explore tunnels, big drop offs, huge castles and mountains and waterfalls, etc. Dead Space are all jaw dropping. The 3D information adds a lot to Mirrors Edge with those huge open spaces and drop-offs. Witcher 2's incredible art and detail was amazing to behold in realistic 3D. Mass Effect was just utter non-sense amazing because of the futuristic cityscapes and scenery, all which looked totally real and life size due to the large 3DTV. Mass Effect/Skyrim/Metro all tie i

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, i meant 3D Vision.