New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Undercurrent - Deep Sea Exploration Indie Game

Chard6Chard6 Posts: 32
edited August 2013 in Showcase
FhsNfwP.png

Hi everyone,

This Underwater Exploration demo for the Oculus Rift Virtual Reality Headset will give you a taste for the kind of experience we're crafting within the Unreal Development Kit with Native Headtracking.

FREE Working Download Links: GOOGLE DRIVE 0.4 OR DROPBOX 0.3

Your goal is to explore the level by moving between canisters of air to refuel your submersible. Your oxygen bar is projected onto the glass floor of the cockpit, it will drain slowly unless you are next to a canister. To complete each level, follow the lights through the environment to reach the exit located in the hull of the ship. There are two levels for this demo experience, complete the first to load the second.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

- Plug in your Oculus Rift

- Set desktop resolution to 1280x720 or 1920x1080 and Duplicate Screens

- Download ‘UnderCurrent α0.3 - Demo Download'

- Install ‘UnderCurrent α0.3 - Demo Download’

- Launch Game upon completion from shortcut or ‘/Binaries/Win32’ & launch ‘UDK.exe’

- Hit F11 a couple times until the game is full screen with stereo vision and black circles around the edges which denote the image warp

- Use a USB Windows Xbox Controller or WASD + Arrowkeys or Mouse to move.

Please Enjoy! Any feedback, bugs or questions please send to: undercurrentgame@gmail.com

Thanks for looking!
Richard.
Hammerhead & Hyperast
Please spare us a like on social platforms: Facebook, Twitter

Comments

• OculusOpticianOculusOptician Posts: 253
    Brain Burst
    This is a brilliant idea, I really liked that atmospheric underwater feel that was present in Bioshock and this is a perfect avenue for Rift integration. The cockpit will really convince the user they are in an underwater environment and this in turn will reduce VR sickness as well. Biggest thing I would recommend is that you focus heavily on quality interior cockpit sounds to really build upon the immersion factor. Send me a PM of the demo link when it's available and make sure to kickstart this project once your ready to get funding. I would back this project for sure.
  • Chard6Chard6 Posts: 32
    edited June 2013
    SCGGXg1.jpg?3
    bYY1bbP.jpg?2
    i9ZChIa.jpg?2
    M13U54B.jpg?2
    kmHismx.jpg?3
    Hammerhead & Hyperast
    Send me a PM of the demo link when it's available and make sure to kickstart this project once your ready to get funding. I would back this project for sure.

Thanks OculusOptician, I'll be sure to send you a playable demo when it's ready. Can't speak for Kickstarter yet, I'd like to show the game off at some gaming conferences in the UK and get feedback from the gaming public first. And of course confer with the rest of the team before we'll be ready for a crowd funding campaign. I'll have some more concrete answers after the summer.
    Hammerhead & Hyperast
  • wblanchettewblanchette Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    Exactly the sort of project I think the Oculus needs, great work guys! Blowing stuff up is all well and good, but I think many VR gamers are going to want to spend a lot of their time immersed in something less stressful.
  • This looks excellent guys! Beautiful, atmospheric, fluid (motion wise, not water-wise). Exactly the kind of thing to innervate exploration and wonder into a digital, interactive experience (two things I think gaming has been missing). I can't wait to get me Rift in the next few weeks and try it out!
  • maboo12maboo12 Posts: 45
    yeah i would also love to see it on the rift! demo would be much appreciated!
  • DycusDycus Posts: 76 Oculus Staff
    This looks excellent! An underwater exploration game is what I've always really wanted in the Rift. I'll be eagerly watching this.
  • edziebaedzieba Posts: 109
    Brain Burst
    I was playing the Hydra Tuscany demo, and was just thinking a legless Atmospheric Diving Suit (e.g. the WASP or SPIDER) simulator would be perfect for working within the current limitations the Rift & Hydra combo. Guess you beat me to the punch.

One suggestion I would make is to reduce the movement speed, as well as the acceleration (underwater you are slow to get going and quick to slow down). Moving underwater is rarely a fast process, caution being important to remain safe and free of obstacles, but fast movements in the Rift also quickly induce nausea.
    Thanks for the feedback guys, That WASP suit looks awesome. I'd love to know how it works.
    Movement speed is going to be something we will tweak once we get it working in the rift and have some time to polish our demo.
    Hammerhead & Hyperast
    edited June 2013
    Hey there,
    We greatly appreciate the support, suggestions and especially the criticism, as it will help us improve the game!
    Hammerhead & Hyperast
  • KrisperKrisper Posts: 168
    Loving this game. I am guessing you probably already have some divers on your team, but if not and you would like to get some feedback from a divers perspective, I would be happy to be involved in some testing for you. Or I can just wait for the demo :)
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,816
    Trinity
    Looks really interesting! I read a comment somewhere else that the water feels too thin / gravity appears too strong from the gameplay video, but this didnt look that bad at all. All depends on how heavy that submersible is. :) It makes me want to go exploring!

You've got little sea particles flying right into the cockpit though. Possibly would break immersion in VR but not sure how easy it would be to have them collide/disappear when hitting the window.
    TitansOfSpacePlus_CoverArt_VRLandscape5_60p.png
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,775 Oculus Staff
    This looks amazing!!! Would love to try on the Rift.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • unclebobunclebob Posts: 193
    Posted some thoughts on Reddit.

Looks fab. Check out Cenote Diving - Mexican Cave Diving

http://tinyurl.com/ckb78qr

Some of the best underwater lighting you will get... curtains of light, iridescent blues great visibility and light dark contrasts.

630lookjanfeb.jpg
    Feel free to drop by....http://www.VRCraftworks.com and contact us
  • AlphaRayAlphaRay Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    Wow! Looks fantastic, guys! I am really looking forward to playing this.
  • graygray Posts: 44
    This will be very cool!
  • I love the art design on this. Looking forward to some 3D video previews :)
  • Dessimat0rDessimat0r Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    Maybe some kind of reflection on the glass so you can see your own reflection would be a cool touch :D (like in Metroid with the visor). Also some kind of cockpit lookaround if you haven't implemented it yet, so it doesn't feel like you have no body. I'll try out the demo when I get home :)
  • hgreyhgrey Posts: 1
    As others have said, it would be nice to see a playable demo for this. Looks graphically interesting though. I've found so far the most interesting things to try on the rift are simulations (flight especially) but I think a submarine would be a great thing to experience.
  • vrdevvrdev Posts: 14
    Want!

I'll be looking out for a playable demo to try on my rift too, looks very atmospheric, and great rift-potential for exploration at players pace.
  • BezetBezet Posts: 30
    This looks very good. I can't wait to play this when my Rift arrives.
  • I just had the opportunity to play this, and it's absolutely fantastic. You guys should put a public demo out as soon as possible, I could spend hours in this just in its current form.
  • kt9mangokt9mango Posts: 1
    One thing I have found from playing in the Rift is that the immersion always feels much better when the camera (your eyes) don't jerk about, even in small motions. Starting any directional movement should be an accelerated process, starting slow and then leveling out quite quickly at the chosen speed.

I think this would definitely help anyway in this sim to help give the illusion of passing through a mass of water :)
  • usb420usb420 Posts: 291
    awesome I like how there's a lot to look at and it's not just empty like most underwater games.
    Updated the opening post.
    Any questions or comments i'm ready to answer.
    Hammerhead & Hyperast
  • Saw the post on Reddit this morning with the demo link. Will definitely be checking this out tonight!
  • JOHIsaacJOHIsaac Posts: 95
    It looks and feel great.

For the control and this isn't a critic, I would prefer to stear the submarine with the keys and have a full 180 view around in the cockpit.
  • CURTROCKCURTROCK Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    This game looks really promising. A lot of opportunities for exploration & discovery. The background music on the video, however, does nothing to contribute to the atmospherics, and I really hope you can do better....Ambient music to accent the feel of the game, is sooooooo important. What is there at the moment, is too concrete & definitive. Think, Enigma, and stuff like that....otherwise, great game idea.....good luck :)
    There isn't any background music on these VR Gameplay videos, and we've just brought on a new musician to write music for our trailer.
    Hammerhead & Hyperast
  • ValezValez Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    JOHIsaac wrote:
    It looks and feel great.

For the control and this isn't a critic, I would prefer to stear the submarine with the keys and have a full 180 view around in the cockpit.

I second this.
    Steering with viewing is a bit odd.