cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox one controller won't sync with adapter (turns off after 2 seconds) Help needed

Therealcrushade
Protege
Hi Guys.

I came home from work today to find out that my xbox controller doesn't work anymore. When i press the xbox button to turn it on it blinks a couple of times and then finds connection with the adapter for a second and then both the controller and the adapter turns off. Help is much appreciated. Thanks.
46 REPLIES 46

christopherbarn
Adventurer
The Win 10 anniversary update broke wireless controller for some people. The latest patch is supposed to fix it, but it doesn't for me - I get same issue as you even with the patch. I had to revert to prev version of Win 10. Check to see if your computer updated OS ( assuming your using Win 10 ).

Vathes
Explorer
I had the same problem after the Windows 10 anniversary update (Winver 1607 OS build 14393.187) - The light on the controller would flash, find connection then turn off after a second.  I too had heard the latest patch had fixed the issue which is why I performed the update and was disappointed to find I had problems.
I managed to get mine working by performing the following steps.  (Note:  I'm not sure that all these steps are actually required, I'm just stating exactly what steps I performed before it started working)

- Open device manager (Right click the Start button and select Device Manager)
- Expand Network Adapters
- Right click the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows and select Uninstall.  A confirmation message prompt will appear, tick the option 'Delete the driver software for this device' then click OK
- Once the driver is removed unplug the Xbox Controller USB adapter
- Reboot the PC
- Once logged back in, plug back in the USB adapter - The driver should automatically re-install.
- Once driver installed, press and hold the sync button on the USB adapter until the LED starts flashing.
- On the Xbox controller press and hold the sync button, then turn the controller on with the home button.  Keep holding the sync button until it starts to flash quicker (A few seconds) then let go.

For me the controller then connected with a solid light and has worked ever since.  Perhaps I was just lucky but thought I would post this in case anyone else has the same issue.

uKER
Adventurer
Just reboot the PC and it will work.
You may need to pair the controller(s?) again to the receiver.

NinjaBurg3r
Explorer
Sorry for resurrecting an older thread, but I wanted to chime in that my controllers and wireless adapter just started exhibiting this behavior within the last couple of weeks.  I have tried three different wireless adapters all paired to 6-8 known working Xbox One controllers all with the latest updates and it happens to every single one of them.  The only remedy it seems is a restart (even that isn't always guaranteed) and even then, the controller will connect successfully on the initial attempt.  If the controller shuts off by itself, I manually shut it off, or the batteries die, the bug happens again.

Was working perfectly fine approximately a month ago on the same PC.

I've gone through all of the routine troubleshooting steps and ended up at a dead end every time and I am becoming increasingly frustrated at the situation.  I've tried different USB ports, different adapters, different controllers, uninstalling/reinstalling the wireless adapter driver, updated my BIOS to the latest version and nothing has corrected the problem thus far.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
its to do with windows anniversay.
my fix was, download the windows 10 store app which allows you to check battery levels with xbox 1 pad. on installing it, turn on your xbox pad and i bet it will say your pad needs a firmware upgrade.  let it install it, then it should be fine.
i spent ages swearing ay my rechargable batteries, then blaming my charger before trying brand new duracells.

gotta love MS for breaking support of their own hardware.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

NinjaBurg3r
Explorer

its to do with windows anniversay.
my fix was, download the windows 10 store app which allows you to check battery levels with xbox 1 pad. on installing it, turn on your xbox pad and i bet it will say your pad needs a firmware upgrade.  let it install it, then it should be fine.
i spent ages swearing ay my rechargable batteries, then blaming my charger before trying brand new duracells.

gotta love MS for breaking support of their own hardware.

Are you referring to the Xbox Accessories app?  If so, I've already hooked up a USB cable and checked for controller updates.  Unfortunately, all of the controllers I am using seem to be completely up-to-date.  I even went so far as to pair them to my Xbox One and check for an update on there to no avail.  My hope was that one or the other may have an update that hasn't been pushed to the other platform, but that doesn't seem to  be the case.

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get my controllers to work properly again 😞

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I got totally fed up with my disconnects and bought a USB cable. Wired now but no problems.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
yeah xbox accessories app.  sorry my suggestion was no fix for you, as soon as i put that on, and tried to run it, it said i needed an update, since then (touch wood) no issues if you already have that then.................... 😞
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

DNACowboy
Adventurer
Please don't reboot your pc's  :# Just hold down the X till it starts flashing, then unplug the XBone's wireless adapter, wait 2 secs and plug it back in....result...working controller.

This message was brought to you by the Neutral Alliance "we have no strong feelings one way or the other" (loud clap)
Who is John Galt?