cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlayStation VR is competing with "consoles," not the Vive or Rift

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
There's a great article on Forbe's that helps put things in perspective regarding the true goal of Sony's venture in to the Virtual Reality arena. We can begin by realizing that there is a sub-group of console players who may want to try VR. That number is likely significant of course...

"... with 35+ million PS4 owners, I am willing to bet that is a pretty significant number of people. It may even be far more than the total install base of the Rift and Vive. But the competition here is not trying to convince those people to get PSVR over other headsets, it’s convincing them to spend $400 ($500 with Move controllers + PS camera) on VR instead of a new video game console."

"PSVR trying to pry dollars away from console players faces an additional challenge, a coming year where not one, but three new video game consoles are launching."

These three new consoles are: the PlayStation NEO; the Nintendo NX; and Xbox Scorpio.

"So, if you only have $400-$500 to spend on new hardware, do you buy a
PSVR headset, or do you wait a bit for a NEO, an NX ,or a Scorpio? For
many gamers, I think you chose one of the latter.

If you are a huge console player, I don’t think PSVR, or any VR at
this point, is going to make you a true 'convert.' It may be fun, sure,
but will get you more use out of it than you would a brand new gaming
console at the same price? I doubt it."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/08/02/playstation-vr-is-competing-against-consoles-not-t...

The key point here which hasn't really been mentioned in any of the console VR discussions on this forum, is that Virtual Reality itself is in its infancy; thus, only die-hard VR fans will consider PSVR. Whereas die-hard console fans simply want the next big console (NEO, NX, Scorpio). It seems more reasonable that the primary consumer group that will purchase the PSVR... are people who already own a Vive or Rift.
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Makes sense, I have both PS4 Pro and PSVR on preorder. Mainly for the exclusives, and I also own a 4K HDR TV, which sadly isn't connected to my PC. First the enthusiasts like me, then if that's a hit everything will fall in place as prices continue to drop. I already own a PS4, so if I had to drop something that would be the PS4 Pro.

The choice I made was for the Rift, over the Vive (The Rift's built-in speakers won the day). Although I've seen others that think Rift+PC is completely out of their budget range, and would still love to experience VR. Some aren't good with computers, some are there for the exclusives.

Some like the security. When I paid for my Rift, I had to pay extra international shipping (another AUD 130, Oculus deducted this for me, due to delay). If I had a hardware fault, I would have to send it there and get it back. When I ordered PSVR, I was offered free shipping and warranties are handled by EB games locally.

They are also committed to demoing VR with demo booths everywhere, and I'm sure they got some unlikely people introduced to the medium.

When you think about it, nothing much has changed, it's the same old story. Personally I hope PSVR is a huge success, so we can get more third party games made to work cross platform as well as the talent and competition that Sony WWS brings to the table.

Some treat this situation as a threat to PCVR, which I don't understand. I hope MS jumps in as well, which would make things even better. Who cares where the money comes from, as long as they make the things we love

I'm expecting all or most of the games that will be available on PSVR to become available on PC shortly there after. Even if it doesn't the talent will not be lost.

When you get closer to the ultimate goal where the entire system resides in your sunnies, I doubt it will be a modular system. I think it will be a closed system with a custom OS not unlike GearVR.

I'm in it for the games.

Zandil
Rising Star
Still need to wait and see what Microsoft are going to do, will they enter the VR market directly and if so will it be an all new HMD just for Scorpio or will they use the Rift as the rumors suspect ?  If they do go the Rift + touch there will need to be some pricing adjustments done to bring it in line with PSVR pricing.

CrashFu
Consultant
I think PSVR will give Sony's console a clear novelty / coolest peripheral advantage over the other, more ordinary consoles.... that is, until Microsoft announces their Xbox will support the Rift, and Nintendo announces Virtual Boy 2.0.   Then things will really heat up. :wink:

But me personally, since I've already got my PC and my Rift (and any gaming not done on that is on my 3DS)  if I end up getting ANY next-gen console it's almost assuredly going to be the Nintendo NX.    (Now if they'd just come out with a new F-Zero game... Oh wait, I could just buy 'Radial G' on OH, nevermind.)
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

CrashFu
Consultant
@Atmos73  -  the masses don't give a **** about 4k resolution  (the success of the Gear VR system proves that).  Console gamers definitely don't care, as they're used to playing games with console hardware on regular old televisions.  Heck, most PC gamers I know don't give a **** about this sort of thing, either.  

The only people who think resolutions higher than 1080p are necessary for gaming or media watching are the kind of super-high-end PC elites that make up most of the Rift and Vive user-bases at the moment.  Once PSVR comes out, and in a year or so when more regular people can afford PC VR, these complaints about the Rift and Vive's resolutions will be a minority opinion.

But by then I'm sure someone will have a 4k-res VR headset on the market  (which "the masses" definitely won't be able to afford, lol )
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
I must say i watched the showdown demo and it changed my mind about VR immersion, we just need a developer to develop a killer game and VR will take off...immersion is possible without the fantastic graphics which off course is relative. I thought showdown was great to showcase what the potential of the rift can be

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cost, quality, and support are the biggest things that control competition. Right now, consoles can't really go toe to toe with PC VR no matter how you look at things. This was a silly comparison all together from some silly people. On the other hand, it will bring in more VR players, titles, and demand for more VR in the long run. Once enough people use VR,  more technology will be made to bring VR to a day to day thing. Over all - it's not a fight more than it is a way to speed up vr demand.

Who knows, maybe it wont take off for consoles as it will be seen as a silly thing. It cost quite a bit extra so I don't see too many people getting it for just a few titles they may like. Might work for Minecraft and the younger generation of those players, but I don't see it catching on for everyone. Then the cost comes in to play and not many parents are going to cough up even more all at once either. Sure, Xmas or bdays, but to buy it with the system and the VR headset? I think it will come down to who has what spread apart evenly enough that they may get away with it. I can see this working well for younger group of players. Teens + might find the resolution and the game quality just too lacking for their taste.

Then again, I remember getting the PS1 and the graphics where shit 🙂 but there was soo many different type of games and it was fun learning how to play them when I was younger.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

I doubt VR will appeal to the masses as the low resolution is enough to put people off.

It's as if you have no real experience in the evolution of gaming...

The 18 year old game I posted about recently, Lord of the Clans, was finally released and it was not updated to current graphic standards. And it received a glorious spot just yesterday on Rock, Paper, Shotgun:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/12/warcraft-lord-of-the-clans-review/

There are videos popping up on YouTube this week of people playing it, and unlike the hate-filled comments that plague most videos... people are praising a game that was meant to be released in the 1990's.

So you may think low resolution is a thing to care about, but I'm pretty sure deep down wherever you buried your gaming dignity you damn well know what real gamers value. Or not... maybe you were never a real gamer and are just stuck in an infinite loop of parroting HMD critics online.

Atmos73 said:

@CrashFu The success of Gear VR is the fact that's its cheap and you pop in your already purchased smart phone which brings me back to mobiles being the biggest competition to any other type of VR.

Yes because every single thing that is cheap and automatically uses your current phone is an instant success. People just love throwing away $200 for something that doesn't do much other than "work with your phone."  The things you say to pretend that you're intelligent and insightful are hilarious.

Mradr said:

This was a silly comparison all together from some silly people. On the other hand, it will bring in more VR players, titles, and demand for more VR in the long run. Once enough people use VR,  more technology will be made to bring VR to a day to day thing. Over all - it's not a fight more than it is a way to speed up vr demand.

Very well said! Hell I may consider buying PSVR if they add it to the TellTale games development of that Walking Dead series. I think Story Mode VR would be great for console based VR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
PSVR is definitely good for VR in general. It will draw a lot of console owners in. People who either don't own a gaming PC powerful enough for VR, or simply aren't interested in PC gaming.  Simple as that.

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
I do not expect PSVR to be an immediate success. It will definitely have its own growing pains. It's success in long term will probably depends on how much of a loss sony is willing to accept till vr becomes ubiquitous.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC