cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen jumping randomly in the Rift

Anonymous
Not applicable
It isn't judder which is usually poor optimization on the developers part I've come to find out, but it's like the screen will jump for half of a second, then resume for about a minute or so doing good, then happen again in order over and over. This also happens on the oculus home screen as well. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix that doesn't include formatting my PC? I've reloaded my PC like 4 times already because of issues I've had with the rift.  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mace404
Heroic Explorer
I always learnt to isolate a problem and get the smallest timeframe of data for troubleshooting 🙂  , so yeah, it's a small portion of log data.
Cleaned logs, started the OVR service, repeatedly had jumps in Home and stopped the OVR service to run the log gathered straight after.

View solution in original post

74 REPLIES 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to clarify the screen will wiggle for a half a second, then it becomes smooth again. It's really immersion braking. It's happening in every oculus game, application, and also all steam VR games as well. Is anyone else getting this issues, or know a solution? I never used to have this problem, but now it happens every time I use the Rift. 

Greyman
Superstar
Your cat isn't bashing your camera is it?  🙂

I've just bought a HOTAS Warthog stick and throttles and until I get a stand, which will be soon, they are sat on my desk.  When i get a little excited with the controls, that moves the desk and as my camera is attached to a monitor on said desk, that tends to make the images inside my Rift judder.

Just make sure that your camera is stable and that nothing you are doing might be moving it.

Just a thought.

Ewizard
Explorer
Actually I'm having similar issue after not playing for a few weeks.  Was asked to update drivers, did that.  Then after playing for a few minutes, the screen started jumping around in game.  Also occurred on home page afterwards continuously.  Rebooting stopped it but after a few minutes of play again started again.  Also, when I touched cable after it happened on headset, it jumped around more randomly.  When I let it go it resorted to jumping sporadically.  Unsure if it's a loose cable connection to headset or something else since when I first start out, and I'm not moving around or touching sensor at all which is stable on a tripod.  Could be driver update or unknown?

OpticKing
Expert Trustee
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/42791/warping-rift#latest are you talking about the same 'jumping' as in this guys vid?

Anonymous
Not applicable
No the camera is stationary and flat, and not even close to were I am sitting just moving my head around @greyman. Thanks everyone for the responses. @opticking, thanks for the link to the video, but mine is not as sever as it shows in the vid but similar. It's more subtle, but just as annoying. It's like the screen will shake for a second then it's smooth for just a bit until it happens in a minute or so.

OpticKing
Expert Trustee
@UBSERD It's possibly a side effect of the last fix they updated to fix peoples disconnects. (Speculation)

I would say anyone getting these issues should chuck their log files at support, to pinpoint/resolve it faster.
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-ri...

Ewizard
Explorer
Actually one thing you might check as it appears to work for me, you might have had the cord somewhat pulled out of headset.  Quick solution is yo just check it by pulling plastic out (gently) from rift headset while holding it with the other hand, and then pull out the connected cord, not too far - just enough that it slides easily instead of appearing stuck, and then push it back in and reassemble plastic piece with foam on headset again.  It's a painless fix if this is it.  So far I have no more jitter or hopping around on screen.  Appears one of my friends who used it may have tugged cable and not realized it.  Hope this helps possibly as it did for me.

HiThere_
Superstar
Probably unrelated, but once you start using hand controllers just raising one hand between the single cam and the headset is enough to block the tracking.

So let's say that for some reason you're raising your gamepad between your cam and headset : That would interrupt the tracking.

Ewizard
Explorer
I was wrong.  It did fix the loose connection I had, but after five or ten minutes of gameplay, played wind lands fine then closed it and went to play chronos.  After getting to second console, I started to jump around and game stated I was outside play area.  Continued to jump around, only way to resolve for short timeframe is to reboot so far.  Unfortunately, keeps happening.  Can't use the rift with any games or home screen until it's fixed, whatever the issue may be.  Really annoying since I just bought three games during sale.  Thought I would start to enjoy it again...I was wrong.