cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's the Sports Content for the Oculus Rift

zaphodB
Explorer

How come there isn't much sports content available for the Rift?  For events like Masters golf and Final Four basketball they mention that they have VR content but it is only for the Gear.  It appears that Oculus are the ones behind helping to produce this content but why do they only do it for the crappy Gear rather than a far superior medium like the full-on Oculus Rift?

6 REPLIES 6

CrashFu
Consultant
Perhaps they are still trying to figure out how to get crash-resistant stereoscopic cameras mounted inside the players' helmets / headbands??

Or more likely, they're trying to figure out how to best monetize a VR Sports Pass before they make it available. 😉
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

zaphodB
Explorer

But some content IS available for the Gear VR.  Why not make this available for a real VR kit?

For example:  https://www.oculus.com/experiences/gear-vr/1282459145111104/

CrashFu
Consultant
I was mostly trying to be funny with the previous post, but yeah, I think we all ask ourselves this about a LOT of content on Gear VR that hasn't gotten a Rift port yet.

I think in most cases, its just that they can't make a (good) port of the software overnight, even if it's a relatively simple program like accessing videos and a camera feed..

I mean, look how long it took before the VR Hulu app was made available to PC Rifters, and they didn't even add in features like positional tracking.  I'm sure we'll get most of these apps eventually...
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

zaphodB
Explorer

IMHO sports is the area, in addition to gaming, that can really sell a lot of VR headsets.  And it seems to be ignored right now. 

Sakkura
Heroic Explorer

CrashFu said:

I think in most cases, its just that they can't make a (good) port of the software overnight, even if it's a relatively simple program like accessing videos and a camera feed..

I'm sure they can, they're just not bothering when there are only a tiny number of Rifts out there. There are maybe ten times as many Gear VRs around.

Warbloke
Superstar

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/434144#Comment_434144

bit like when the Olympics was on:

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln