cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will oculus reduce the price of the rift

jim1174
Protege
Do you think oculus might reduce the price of the rift for the holidays?
32 REPLIES 32

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
NO!!.. they have even gone retail properly and the touch controller once availible will only raise demand, if they reduced the price rifter gonna be worried. It will happen thou eventually, perhaps when its been around for at least 6-8 months, i think

Maybe late 2017 for one last boost before Christmas.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
They might offer a cheaper bundle with Touch (save $50 if you buy both at once), but aside from that I doubt it'll get any price drop anytime soon. The Rift is kind-of perfectly priced - without Touch it's $200 cheaper than Vive but $100 more expensive than PSVR ($200 if you already have a PS4 Camera). It probably won't get a real price drop until the Rift 2 approaches.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure about the States because the prices haven't been officially announced or leaked, but here in the UK a poster was seen in a Game store having the Touch controllers for £189.99. Game sell the Rift for £549, so getting the Rift plus the Touch controllers over here in game is £21 cheaper than getting a Vive. So you're paying £20 less for the better HMD and what looks like being the better motion controllers (due to them feeling more like an extension of your hands and finger tracking).

And even if Oculus end up selling the Touch controllers for the same price that Game has them at, the Rift plus shipping is £20 cheaper than getting a Rift in Game so that's £40 cheaper than getting a Vive. And it wouldn't surprise me if the Touch controllers plus postage are cheaper than Game's price anyway, in fact I'm expecting it.

So the Rift full package is cheaper to buy than the Vive, I really can't see them dropping the price even further tbh.

CrazyKate71
Protege
The Rift was only released in Europe  on the 20th September so it is very unlikely that there will be a price drop for at least a year. 
I am in the UK and have had mine exactly 2 weeks so would not be happy to see a price drop.

HiThere_
Superstar
If Oculus VR wanted to make a cheap VR headset, they would have stuck with a single screen and 350$ ballpark.

Cheap entry VR would be PSVR, but what you manage to save on it's lower end hardware cost you end up losing double on it's software cost.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
actually the rift has gone UP in price since launch in the UK... Thanks Brexiters!  😞

(the VIVE has gone up also, as has many other luxury items thanks to the worst performing £ compared to the $ in 30 years 😞 )

soon bread and butter products will feel the squeeze all thanks to xenophobia, fearmongering and impossible to fulfil promises such as closed borders etc.

but i digress 😉

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

falken76
Expert Consultant

jim1174 said:

Do you think oculus might reduce the price of the rift for the holidays?

They have a hot product with accessories being released for it right in the midst of the holiday season.   When companies have a product that is in high demand, it is very unlikely they'll reduce the price, especially during the holidays.  MAYBE after the holidays, but I doubt it.  Things don't drop in price unless the demand drops.

CrazyKate71
Protege

actually the rift has gone UP in price since launch in the UK... Thanks Brexiters!  😞

(the VIVE has gone up also, as has many other luxury items thanks to the worst performing £ compared to the $ in 30 years 😞 )

soon bread and butter products will feel the squeeze all thanks to xenophobia, fearmongering and impossible to fulfil promises such as closed borders etc.

but i digress 😉

The rift is £549 the same price as it was 2 weeks ago. So that has not been affected.
 Any goods that have raised in price are based on the greed of the company and nothing else as we have not left the EU yet. So shame on you HTC and Valve.
Also are you saying that 17.4 million people are Xenophobic????????? 
Let's face it you have very little idea why the vote did not go your way and have decided to jump on the bandwagon and say ridiculous things. Many people voted for many different reasons. I cannot stand this petulant attitude that exists by one side to call the other side names because they lost. 
Yes you do digress.
My advice next time you want change get more people to register and vote because that is the reason the remain campaign lost- Apathy.