New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Compositor Frame Drops Every Second (Stuttering in Headset)

OwynCOwynC Posts: 4
NerveGear
edited November 2016 in Support
Hey Oculus Forums, I recently started getting stuttering in my rift. It happens every second like clockwork and is displayed as dropped compositor frames in the debugger. 

Here's a link to a similar issue.

I have a i5-4460 8GB of ram, a GTX 1070 and Windows 10 64bit. Although the CPU is not up to minimum system spec I haven't had any issues so far and have had my rift since this May. I'm currently running Oculus Home 1.9 and Nvidia Driver 375.70

Any help would be appreciated, I believe the issue may be related to either the recent Oculus 1.9 update or the latest Nvidia driver update.

Edit: I rolled back my drivers to 368.81 and nothing changed. 

Edit2: I completely reset Windows, formatting the drive and removing all software. I reinstalled Oculus Home and a couple VR of games to test. I still got compositor frame drops from the default automatic Windows installed drivers. I then downloaded Geforce Experience and updated all my drivers to the latest. I still get the compositor frame drops. This is probably an issue with oculus home 1.9.

Edit3: I enabled ASW and still get the compositor frame drops.

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,770 Oculus Staff
    I believe this is an Nvidia driver issue, but I thought it was fixed.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • OwynCOwynC Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    It may be but the frames drop and stutter even when I rolled back to the Nvidia Driver 368.95.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 671
    Neo
    You don't have any "major" program running at the same time? I once had the same issue just due to browser Chrome opened when running my games.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

NerveGear
    Nope, everything else is closed. In task manager oculus is the largest and only major resource intensive program. Also I didn't have this issue before updating the Nvidia drivers and oculus home.
  • neuro27neuro27 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Same issue here! Everything worked wonderfully a few days ago, now it's not working nearly as well
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 3,611 Valuable Player
    Try 368.81. That has been by far the most stable driver.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
  • neuro27neuro27 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited October 2016
    Techy111 said:
    Try 368.81. That has been by far the most stable driver.
    Thank you! This helps a little bit in VR Desktop, but not in my other apps it seems.

Is there any way to go back to 1.8?
  • PalidorePalidore Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited October 2016
    Hey guys, so I've been having this problem recently as well, but may have found a solution.

First: Open up Nvidia control panel, go to "Set up stereoscopic 3D," and make sure it's disabled, i.e. uncheck that box, if it isn't already.  Note that this step might not be necessary, but I've read in my online sleuthing that in the past at least, that enabled 3D vision was giving people stuttering.

Second, and what seemed to fix my frame drop problems: Open task manager, scroll down under the Background Processes category, and see if you can find a process with an Nvidia logo called "Stereo Vision Control Panel API Server" or something like that .  End that process, and see if the stuttering issue goes away.  For me, it seemed to instantly stop the application and compositor frame drops that I was seeing on that Oculus performance overlay. 

Really hope this helps guys! I know how aggravating of an issue it is, believe me.  Crossing my fingers that this was the main culprit, and that the issue doesn't pop up again. :\

EDIT: Aaaaaaand it's back again. Kinda.  I don't know why ending that process stopped the judders momentarily, but sure enough they came back.  Keeping Chrome completely closed seems to help...maybe...but can't say definitively, will have to look at it more when I'm less tired.  Kinda spent on trying to solve this problem tonight.  Anyway I'll report back if I find a more reliable solution.
  • SocialAnxiety4MeSocialAnxiety4Me Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited October 2016
    was a solution ever found? i'm having the exact problem as OwynC, rolling back drivers didn't help D:
  • VonTornefeldVonTornefeld Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Adding to my already old sensor disconnection problem, the sttuter in games that played perfect before. Even Dreamdeck !!!
  • lillyhammarlillyhammar Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Yeah this is pretty irritating and uncomfortable. It really limits the amount of time I can spend in VR which is disappointing since I only recently got my Rift.
  • lillyhammarlillyhammar Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I've been doing more experimentation to see what the problem is. I pulled up the debugger tool today (I'm not savvy about this stuff so I don't know what it all means) and it showed dropped frames and composite frames about every second. But if I hid the desktop preview window, the stutter stopped and the dropped frames stopped.
    NerveGear
    Update: I completely formatted Oculus Home and Windows 10. I'm using the default Windows recommended drivers and the issue still persists. :( This is definitely an issue with Oculus Home 1.9. 
  • NasilousNasilous Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I managed to fix this by changing my primary monitor from dvi to displayport. I can't explain it, but I dropped out of college.
  • bosy.princbosy.princ Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Any progress with this issue? I have R9 390 and i5 4690 and I'm experiencing this once-per-second stuttering since 1.9. Thanks!
  • BomarrOrderBomarrOrder Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    Received my Touch controllers a few days ago and haven't been able to enjoy them due to this stutter issue. Also, I've been getting motion sickness, which may or may not be related to this. It did start around v1.9
  • SanbornSanborn Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    I too get this.
  • PayneSculpturesPayneSculptures Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    I also have this exact same issue. No fix has been found in my search or with my Oculus support ticket.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • XsjadiaXsjadia Posts: 331
    Nexus 6
    So... just to be sure. You guys don't have anything polling your hardware do you? Things like:

MSI Afterburner (or any information-type software that would update graphs once per second)
    Specialty Mouse Software (I had previously run into problems with my mouse software and 3d games stuttering. It was due to the fact that the software was trying to improve mouse accuracy by polling the mouse much more frequently than normal)

Just something that came to mind, that could fix some people's issues, but probably isn't the main culprit.

PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    GTX 1080
    16 GB RAM @ 3200 Mhz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
    Brain Burst
    Cyberreality! Yes I can. Here is the log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5JRSXt_gW5tM2I5Z3k2MDNWaVU
    Brain Burst
    Nasilous said:
    I managed to fix this by changing my primary monitor from dvi to displayport. I can't explain it, but I dropped out of college.
    "Nasilous" - OH. MY. GOD.... YOU SOLVED MY PROBLEM. Your comment is literally the only one that I found that suggested it could be the DVI - HDMI adapter. It honestly didn't feel like that was the issue and your deadpan delivery caused me to avoid trying it out. Then I bit the bullet and bought the adapter and low and behold! It WORKS. No more need to USB balance either. I can use my touch sensors on my USB 3.0 ports. EUREKA!!! Does anyone know why a DVI  to HDMI adapter (vs a Displayport to HDMI adapter) seems to cause frame drops on the GTX970??? This totally vindicates my original theory that this was an Nvidia problem btw. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
    Strange. I was not aware of this but that's an interesting thing to consider for troubleshooting.
  • lizdolizdo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I got a similar problem where compositor was dropping 1 frame per second. After trial and error I found the culprit to be f.lux.
  • rdalcroftrdalcroft Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    just a thought are you using the oculus tray utility, and do u have it set to super sampling e.g. 1.5.  and if you also have SS set in game then this doubles up. so make sure you either use one or the other.