cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allumette - Dont read this if you havn't watched it yet (spoilers and wild speculation within)

Warbloke
Superstar

So I watched this last night.
I enjoyed this a LOT and I definitely felt something towards the little characters which in my book means this was a great success and whoever made it gets a very well done from me ! (despite some confusion in the story line)

So what exactly happened here ?
It says best viewed standing up... so I stood up. I liked leaning in, and peering over the bridge, then when the little girl went into their floating ship/ home thing I peered down the hole she climbed down so that I could see where she went.  Couldn't see too much so stepped back a bit to see what was going on elsewhere.  It seems the side of the ship was removed so we could see inside... I couldn't really see that standing up, so had to sit back down again... I therefore remained seated and suggest its better viewed seated if you want to see stuff.
I was very impressed with the little characters, music etc and how at several points I felt things for the little characters.

I felt guilty after I smirked when the blind guy fell on his face and lost his stick, and when the little girl gave him one of those sparkly match stick things to use.

I felt a sense of impending doom when their ship started to burn for the townspeople below.
I felt sad for the little girl after her mother gave her life to save the little floating towns em... town people from certain death.
I felt sad again when the scene changed and showed the little girl still there in the same place moping about in the cold.... I mean sure... her home blew up but it wasn't like she was stuck there... I could see stairs and a path leading to buildings..... surely someone must have been even slightly grateful to her mum for saving the entire town and perhaps helped her out a little bit ??? anyways....

The ending... what the hell was that about ?
I got the overall impression this seemed like it was made for kids (In the same way Pixar made 'Finding Nemo'... U know for all of us Adults to watch, hehehehe ) - so why the hell was it so hard to understand?, and not a little bit clearer what actually happened at the end?

Im not sure what Im actually supposed to 'assume' here

Does anyone have a scoobie if any of my assumptions are correct or offer what 'actually' happened ?

Assumption 1 - The little sparkly match sticks are magical, and when 'struck' they appear to bring back memories of the past.
At the end therefore, are we to assume that was the old blind guy she helped earlier, returning her kindness by striking the final stick she gave him so that she could have a 'happy memory' of a time when her mum who wasn't so dead and they were happy together ?

Assumption 2 - The guy at the end wasn't the same blind man she helped earlier, but was in fact an old homeless weirdo and he maybe killed the little girl ?  (Given that the colour of the little girl changed (and matched her mother), at the end compared to the other 'memories')  perhaps this was now the little girls ghost - together with her mothers ghost ? - jeez that's a messed up ending !

Assumption 3 - The little girl caught pneumonia and died, shes a ghost, her mothers a ghost and we don't know what happened to that old guy... I assume he is ok, but still blind ?

I'm thinking assumption 1, the sticks clearly appear to bring back memories for the little girl when struck....
If she died... what was the point of the old guy and striking that final stick ?

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I hope it is Assumption 1 as I just kind of assumed she wasn't dead...  :s I thought she might of being doing it to give them both some warmth. So she was giving up the last memory bomb to keep them alive.

Note: Probably the best feeling I got out of it was when she tripped and nearly fell over the edge I panicked and put my hand out to try save her, then had a laugh afterwards at my silly brain 😛

I think it's based on a book though 🙂
Here it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Match_Girl 

"After running out of matches the child dies, and her grandmother carries her soul to Heaven. The next morning, passers-by find the child dead in the nook, frozen with a smile on her face, and guess the reason for the burnt-out matches beside her. They feel pity for her, although they had not shown kindness to her before her death. They have no way of knowing about the wonderful visions she saw before her death or how gloriously she and her grandmother are now celebrating the New Year in Heaven. "

... Holy fucking shit I was not expecting that... damn! 
😮 

Warbloke
Superstar

omfg !!

bigmike20vt
Visionary
it was a nice short story, and was quite sad when she died at the end, but happy also as she saw her mum again...
1 thing tho.... the intro with the yellow windows was the flat out worst example of the god rays i have seen in VR.  I wish devs would think about this sort of thing a little bit as it made it a very poor showcase for the rift imo.

the actual performance itsself was grand however - though did have a few performace stutters!.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Warbloke
Superstar
ooh? Im going to have to watch it again tonight then and specifically look.  I cant say Ive really ever noticed the god ray issue so I will need to make a point at looking at a bad example of them so that I can see what folk are on about.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
cool.. .well if you do and you have no issue with them, that will be v interesting. Generally i consider my rift a very good egg, and godrays generally not an issue... but in the 1st few mins at the start of this video, it was terrible, and a real distraction (as i said tho, once it started properly, not an issue at all).

but please post back your thoughts either way.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

I hate to break it to you but yes, she died.  It's a fairy tale from way back yonder, when little kids were tougher than adults are today.

Fear not because there is a modern version in which she is provided with thermals and Gore-Tex clothing by Sir Bob Geldof.  Here's some more cheeriness:

Seesaw Margery Daw, Johnny shall have a new master. He shall earn the minimum wage, because the Labour government made it legally binding.

Rock a bye baby on the tree top, when the wind blows, the cradle will rock. When the bough breaks, the cradle will be safe because the tree has undergone a health and safety assessment.

Old Mother Hubbard went to the cupboard to get her poor doggie a bone. When she got there, the cupboard was full because she just had a delivery from Ocado.

London Bridge is undergoing planned engineering works. Please wait for further announcements.

Three visually impaired mice, three visually impaired mice. See how they run, see how they run. They all ran after the farmer's wife, who handed them over to the RSPCA.

Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep – but she knows how to find them because she has satnav

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Warbloke
Superstar

andyring said:

I hate to break it to you but yes, she died.  It's a fairy tale from way back yonder, when little kids were tougher than adults are today.

Fear not because there is a modern version in which she is provided with thermals and Gore-Tex clothing by Sir Bob Geldof.  Here's some more cheeriness:

Seesaw Margery Daw, Johnny shall have a new master. He shall earn the minimum wage, because the Labour government made it legally binding.

Rock a bye baby on the tree top, when the wind blows, the cradle will rock. When the bough breaks, the cradle will be safe because the tree has undergone a health and safety assessment.

Old Mother Hubbard went to the cupboard to get her poor doggie a bone. When she got there, the cupboard was full because she just had a delivery from Ocado.

London Bridge is undergoing planned engineering works. Please wait for further announcements.

Three visually impaired mice, three visually impaired mice. See how they run, see how they run. They all ran after the farmer's wife, who handed them over to the RSPCA.

Little Bo Peep has lost her sheep – but she knows how to find them because she has satnav

@andyring - you only get a LOL instead of an Awesome - Due to the Little Bo Peep one at the end ruining it 😞

SatNav would of course only show her the GPS location of her own device (so presumably her own location), and would in no way help her find her lost sheep.

Edit: Given that you stated Bo Peep had in fact 'lost' her sheep, we can safely assume each sheep was not also fitted with GPS tracking devices and her own SatNav was to aid her in getting to their locations....
As of course if they had tracking devices... she already knows where they are... ergo they would not have been 'lost' in the first place.

pew pew pew

Gimme a minute, i'm working on it...

3pb64mbehj1y.jpg

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Warbloke
Superstar
Is he that famous mathematician who solved the problem of constipation ?
I heard he worked it out with a pencil.