cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox One Wireless Controller turns off on Windows 10 PC

haapavuo
Protege

Previously all the three Xbox One Wireless Controllers worked like charm on Windows 10 (before Anniversary Update). Now, after the Anniversary Update, as I try them, they stay on for about 5 seconds and then turn off.

This is not a battery issue. Rebooting computer helps sometimes, and I can then again play without problems until I again disconnect one controller. After that, all the controllers get again disconnected after 5 seconds when being on.

The controllers work well if they are wired (USB) to the PC. I have updated the controller firmware to the latest. They also work on another computer that has Windows 10 (no Anniversary Update).

I think this issue started after Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Any possible fixes for this? Thanks.

I already tried to reinstall Windows 10 (Anniversary) and update the Wireless Dongle drivers but it didn't help. I have also tried multiple different USB ports (2.0, 3.0).

The same problem was also mentioned here: "Installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update caused our X...

I have already contacted Xbox Support and Microsoft Support but they were unable to help (said they will send a ticket to the developers but you never know...). I am sure I am not alone with this issue since ArsTechnica has mentioned it too (link above).

I have also made a post regarding this issue here: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/288881/xbox-one-wireless-controller-turns-off-on-windows-1...

125 REPLIES 125

haapavuo
Protege
Any help?

rgrlee
Protege
Update your xbox controller firmware.  I had the same problem and it fixed it.  Download the xbox app from the Windows Store.

uKER
Adventurer
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5344988

And no, updating the firmware doesn't fix it.

cybereality
Grand Champion
AFAIK, this was fixed in a further Windows update. Make sure you are all the way up to date with Windows and also install the controller firmware via Xbox Accessories app.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

haapavuo
Protege

AFAIK, this was fixed in a further Windows update. Make sure you are all the way up to date with Windows and also install the controller firmware via Xbox Accessories app.

All updates installed and also latest firmware on every controller. I have also tried two different receiver with no luck. On a different computer (Windows 10, no anniversary) all works.

haapavuo
Protege
Still no updates on this. Still not working. Microsoft really should get their &#%¤ together...

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
The fact that it works a on a non-anniversary computer means nothing, because the way Windows talks to the controllers changed in the Anniversary Update, which is why it requires the new firmware update and stuff. I know you say you updated your controller firmware, but did you do so using the XBox Accessories Tool that you have to get from the Windows Store? Also, make sure you try re-syncing with the wireless adapter, and try plugging it into a different USB port.

uKER
Adventurer

It wasn't.
There's two different issues.
First, there was one in which the controller remained on, but the buttons all stopped responding, except for the home button (the one with the big X).
That issue was fixed.

Then there is this one. You turn the controller on, and two seconds after the home button gets dim, the controller turns off.
This issue is still there no matter what.

NinjaBurg3r
Explorer

haapavuo said:

Previously all the three Xbox One Wireless Controllers worked like charm on Windows 10 (before Anniversary Update). Now, after the Anniversary Update, as I try them, they stay on for about 5 seconds and then turn off.

This is not a battery issue. Rebooting computer helps sometimes, and I can then again play without problems until I again disconnect one controller. After that, all the controllers get again disconnected after 5 seconds when being on.

The controllers work well if they are wired (USB) to the PC. I have updated the controller firmware to the latest. They also work on another computer that has Windows 10 (no Anniversary Update).

I think this issue started after Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Any possible fixes for this? Thanks.

I already tried to reinstall Windows 10 (Anniversary) and update the Wireless Dongle drivers but it didn't help. I have also tried multiple different USB ports (2.0, 3.0).

The same problem was also mentioned here: "Installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update caused our X...

I have already contacted Xbox Support and Microsoft Support but they were unable to help (said they will send a ticket to the developers but you never know...). I am sure I am not alone with this issue since ArsTechnica has mentioned it too (link above).

I have also made a post regarding this issue here: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/288881/xbox-one-wireless-controller-turns-off-on-windows-1...

I am having the exact same issue!  Just out of curiosity, what are your hardware specs?  I'm on a 6700K, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 32GB 3200Mhz RAM and 2 EVGA GTX 1080s in SLI.  I found what the issue is - have a read below what I posted in another thread for a temporary fix until an update is implemented into the Oculus app that squashes this bug.  From my findings, it is 100% to do with the current version of the Oculus app.  I have three wireless adapters and a bunch of normal and elite Xbox One controllers - all fully updated - that exhibit the exact same behavior you describe, regardless of what USB port I use.  Controllers all work flawlessly when plugged in via USB or when using them with my Xbox One.  Obviously, this is not an ideal fix, as it means you cannot pair your Xbox One controller wireless and use it with the Rift app, but it will work if you would like to play normal games with a wireless Xbox One gamepad.

"Okay, so after doing a little more digging I have pinpointed the issue.  I went through and disabled all system services in msconfig and rebooted my PC and my controller connected successfully on multiple attempts.  After batch sorting through the services, the culprit is the Oculus VR Runtime Service.  If you disable this service and reboot your PC, you should find that your controller will work properly.  The downside is the Oculus app will not function properly with this service disabled.  

From what I gather in this forum post:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/43893/oculus-app-1-9-release-notes/p1
the Oculus App 1.9 version release coincides with the timestamps of many users experiencing this particular bug, not just in these forums, but on NeoGAF and the Xbox user forums as well."

"While playing last night I encountered another interesting wrinkle to add to the fold.  Seems that controllers will connect properly only when the Oculus VR Runtime Service has been disabled and Steam is not open.  If the service is disabled, and Steam is running, the controllers exhibit the behavior where they connect momentarily and then disconnect seconds later.  Close Steam, and they work fine.  However, this is all predicated on that service being disabled.  I tried with the service enabled and Steam in both open and closed states and the issue persisted."