Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of questions and suggestions

Spiderspy
Explorer
Hi!

Loving it, here are some of my big want list:
  1. Reference window (yea I know you are working on it!)
  2. Move (yup you are working on it!)
  3. I would love to be able to toggle between different tools setups for each hand. For example have two sculpt hands with different tools like in real life where you can smooth and carve at the same time to tweak things. Or just be able to have subtract and add on different hands.
  4. Button binding (I dont know but I assume you will add this later anyway) Really want some of the more common actions on some quick iteration button like changing subtract and add shapes need to be lightning fast to switch between.
  5. painting mode where you have per pixel instead of per vertex, yea unwrap that thang! could be a final stage or something.
All around, already a great product and you should be proud.

Go forth and be awesome.

Bonus content:
Here are my 3 first attempts

1. Awful callum 
  2. okay callum
  3. level creation test 
7 REPLIES 7

Lieb
Protege
Regarding #3 and #4, there are a couple of hotkeys worth noting, in case you're not familiar with them.
- First off, if you double click the green gear button on the right hand, it toggles between add and subtract.
- Secondly, there's a feature called "alternate tool". By default, it's set to the smooth tool. While sculpting, if you hold down on the left hand index finger trigger, it'll switch to the alternate tool. So you can be painting and hold down the trigger to smooth. While the tools radial menu is up, you can point at an option and click the left hand trigger to change which tool is set to your alternate tool. That make sense? 

Clearly, we're lacking in discoverability for these. I don't think there's anywhere in the UI where we indicate these features. I haven't gone through all the tutorials myself yet so maybe they're mentioned in there somewhere. We'll have to figure out a way to indicate to users about this feature in future versions.

Spiderspy
Explorer
Neat! Will try later today, I did check a few of the tutorials, though they eventually bugged out medium so that I couldnt add anything and had to restart. I do not recall if they mentioned these features.

I am trying to use medium as content creation tool for our game and I will try to make a post about my successes and failures in doing so and some feedback. I hope I will be able to give constructive and factual feedback with my pipeline creation and sculpting background :smile:

Lieb
Protege
Sounds great. I'm very interested in how it turns out. Most of the Medium team has a background in games and specifically game content creation tools. So although it's not exactly what Medium is designed to do, it's a topic that's near and dear to our hearts. Keep us in the loop!

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

Lieb said:

Clearly, we're lacking in discoverability for these. I don't think there's anywhere in the UI where we indicate these features. I haven't gone through all the tutorials myself yet so maybe they're mentioned in there somewhere. We'll have to figure out a way to indicate to users about this feature in future versions.

Call me old fashioned if you like but I'm a sucker for online manuals. Ideally with links to short youtube tuts. The basic tutorials are fine - went through those no probs but if it's more in depth than that I get bored easy. Build a tree? Seriously? I'd probably have chewed my own arms off before I got halfway through that.

While we're on the subject of hard to find features:

1) I've seen people in demos moving the lightsource about. I saw the spotlight a couple of times last night then it seemed to disappear. Is there a trick to this? Can we add/edit lightsources?

2) Can we change the skybox/environment?

Pls pls pls, just write this all down somewhere and post me a link.

PS: Medium is amazing. Totally stoked to be in on the ground floor with it. Given time and a few iterations, I could see this being the new Z-Brush. How far are you guys planning on taking this? 

bhsharp
Protege
Yeah we do have a thorough manual somewhere, we'll post it.

1. Light - hit the support hand top button (B or Y, depending on your handedness) to go into scene mode. That's where you can move the light, the symmetry plane, the speakerbox, the lathe base, and the recording playback position. With any of them selected, the usual settings button (on your tool hand, A or X) will bring up settings (light brightness, speakerbox volume, etc.)

2. Yep, Home Menu button -> right panel -> Settings. Grab the settings panel with the grip button (like manipulating anything) to scroll down, and Skybox, Ground Grid, and background color are all there.

Anonymous
Not applicable
There's nothing like a good manual we can reference... All of the tips & techniques I've picked up so far, have come from watching the live sculpts on Medium's FB page, plus one posted by Tested. 

Only ever done model building before, with some light sculpting and a lot of airbrush work. Medium has been so easy to pick up and use, there's been a near zero learning curve. 

It can't be said enough, Medium is totally amazing  B)

nalex66
MVP
MVP
The manual was posted as a Google Doc in the Updates thread the other day, but the link has since been removed for some reason.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo