cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a 3D model of the Touch devices?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bonjour,

I'm developing a VR module for my Ultrasound 3D dataset editor.  The user can interact with the data using the touch devices, and I would like to show a model of the device in the VR world.  Is there a public domain 3D dataset that already exit of the Touch or do I have to create one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone is welcome to use our models/textures for the Touch controllers. We couldn't find any reasonble polygon count versions so we made our own. We also tweaked them not to be perfect, but to be so you can see the buttons move and read the labels ingame. To be clear, these are for people wanting to put the models ingame, not 3D print them. We started with "perfect" controllers and realized it wasn't actually the best experience, so these were the result--the main thing for us is that you can "touch" the controllers together and what's in the HMD matches the real world. Button/stick locations have quite a bit of flexibility, and we always choose usability over being technically correct.

http://airmech.com/OculusTouchControllersFBX.rar

If you use them just give a little thanks somewhere in your credits is all I ask. If you do that, no restrictions on modifying them or using them commercially.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Isn't there some in the Touch SDK?

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer

kojack
MVP
MVP

FrozenPea said:

Isn't there some in the Touch SDK?

Despite us being able to code for the Touch controllers, public developers haven't been given any assets.
But SteamVR has Touch controller models since July!

That's really disappointing. Valve is supporting oculus devs better than oculus is.

I don't know the license on using the models for non SteamVR apps, but you can find them here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\rendermodels\external_controllers
The models are really high quality too. Over 21,000 triangles per hand and 2048x2048 textures for colour and specular. Every buttons is separated, so you can animate them when pressed.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well isn't that silly! I guess they didn't want to lock down the design but still...can be changed so not really an excuse for it really.

EliteSPA
Superstar

Kalec84 said:

"To help you get an idea how it will feel in your hands, I've made these mockups based on pictures from the release. (not 100% accurate, but close enough)

I have approximated the scale to be about 4 inches wide. (final measurements not yet released)"

Thanks anyway.

i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

falken76
Expert Consultant

EliteSPA said:

Kalec84 said:

"To help you get an idea how it will feel in your hands, I've made these mockups based on pictures from the release. (not 100% accurate, but close enough)

I have approximated the scale to be about 4 inches wide. (final measurements not yet released)"

Thanks anyway.

What's the difference?  It's not like an end user is going to throw their arms up and stop playing because of the model.  "I can't play this, those mock controllers don't seem to be to the exact scale."  Absolutely NOBODY but the developer would even know there was an imagined issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone is welcome to use our models/textures for the Touch controllers. We couldn't find any reasonble polygon count versions so we made our own. We also tweaked them not to be perfect, but to be so you can see the buttons move and read the labels ingame. To be clear, these are for people wanting to put the models ingame, not 3D print them. We started with "perfect" controllers and realized it wasn't actually the best experience, so these were the result--the main thing for us is that you can "touch" the controllers together and what's in the HMD matches the real world. Button/stick locations have quite a bit of flexibility, and we always choose usability over being technically correct.

http://airmech.com/OculusTouchControllersFBX.rar

If you use them just give a little thanks somewhere in your credits is all I ask. If you do that, no restrictions on modifying them or using them commercially.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks CarbonJames,

That's exactly what I needed!

Yves

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a link to the Touch sample and assets in the PDF guide sent to all devs when you get Touch hardware.