cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gpu question

draconothese
Explorer

Do any games/engines or for that matter oculus even support dual gpu's, sli, or any form of multi gpu tech.
I keep reading topics from people talking about how they use 2 1080's and such,.
I was under the impression that currently only single gpu support was working.

4 REPLIES 4

wrkent100
Honored Guest
I have the same question, I have ordered a 2nd 1070 card.  I do see that Iracing supports multiple gpu's.  Are there any special settings that need configuring on Oculus or do you just setup the cards and oculus utilizes it?

Lemming1970
Rising Star
The rift doesn't support SLi/crossfire, that's not to say it won't work but it's not supported by Oculus. I believe this is to do with the latency Multiple GPUs add to the experience. 
Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

dougchism
Expert Protege
NVidia has an SDK which enables single eye rendering per SLI card, but from my understanding its not implemented in any game engine yet. Unreal does have their Pascal enhancements, which allow simultaneous multiple projection of the same draw call to different rendertargets. This allows both eyes to render at half the draw calls normally required, but in general will only lessen the CPU load ( draw calls bog down the CPU ) and make the game more GPU bound. If you are already fully GPU bound it wont help. Also they have code to render more detailed pixels towards the center of the eye by breaking up the image into viewports that more closely match the lens distortion. Im not sure if its hooked into any engines yet, but that would improve GPU performance if the developer did not home grow their own version. 

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, multi-GPU is not supported really at all for VR. You should get no performance benefit, and there could even be compatibility issues if SLI/CFX is enabled. While Nvidia and AMD have developer APIs to utilize multi-cards, there are no games that I know of that take advantage of this (aside from the Nvidia tech demo, not really a game).

In any case, multi-GPU is getting less and less support these days (even outside of VR) and may not be a good investment in general. Especially if you are using lesser than the best card. For example, instead of getting 2x GTX 1070's, you should get 1x GTX 1080, as you will save money and software/driver headaches.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV