New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Medium’s community site

naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 60 Oculus Staff
edited February 3 in Oculus Medium

Since Medium officially launched on Tuesday, we’ve seen some amazing Medium creations on social media, reddit, and our forums - we’re so thrilled to be connecting the world with art.

Today we’re excited to announce the soft launch of Medium’s companion community site. There’s now a place to save and share sculptures, stamps, screenshots, and in-VR recordings with your friends and other artists.

We set out out to become a home for creativity in VR: a place where you can  explore new ways of expression, share art, and collaborate with others in ways you never thought possible.

Sharing

There are two main ways to share from inside Medium.

1. Upload the sculpt you are currently working on from the “Share” button in the Home Screen (next to “Export”)

2. You can look at your Assets Browser(The right hand panel in the Home Screen) to view your personal stamps, screenshots, and recordings. When you select an individual asset, you will reach a menu with which you can Share and Name that asset. (Please note - you’re unable to share sculpts through the Asset Browser, only the Share button).

Sharing will bring up your default browser that pops up behind Medium, so you can continue creating in Medium while uploading. Once uploaded, you can change the description of the asset, choose whether it’s public or private, and attach a Creative Commons license to it (more on Creative Commons licenses on the http://oculus.com/medium/guidelines Guidelines page). Everything you upload and make public will be on your personal Artist Gallery page, where a friend or collaborator will be able to download your creations straight into Medium as well as into high-resolution OBJ’s.

Right now, to share assets with each other, you must share Gallery URL’s with each other. (It’s also a good idea to bookmark your Artist Gallery URL for yourself!). Discoverability is a work in progress, but we’ll get there soon!

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,378 Oculus Staff
    Really excited to see what people create.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 282
    Nexus 6
    Awesome! Loving the times we are in!
  • TheRedCowTheRedCow Posts: 15
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    yeah i really want to share my sculpts but i dont live in the US. I hope they bring global support soon 
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 988
    Art3mis
    Canadian user here. Have to say I'm excited, but it seems very odd that you are choosing to lock it to US only at this point.
    Checkout out the electrifying Tesla's laboratory scene in our newest build of our educational history game, Project Time Travel!
    'Be Wary of Geeks bearing Gifts....' -trojan/win32.war
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,363 Valuable Player
    Great idea! Hopefully you can create a great platform for sharing and viewing.

However I'm not in the US so can't share anything... a bit of a strange choice, I don't know why this would need to be regional locked for any reason?
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 968 Poster of the Week
    FrozenPea said:
    Great idea! Hopefully you can create a great platform for sharing and viewing.

However I'm not in the US so can't share anything... a bit of a strange choice, I don't know why this would need to be regional locked for any reason?
    At a guess - server load balancing. Easier to deal with any teething issues with a limited rollout. This is Facebook hardware we're talking about. All held together with duct-tape and fridge magnets :D

• chaostheoremchaostheorem Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Just published to the Medium community site, but the sculpt is private? Apparently I am not in the US, but I am? I don't get it.
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 282
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    Just published to the Medium community site, but the sculpt is private? Apparently I am not in the US, but I am? I don't get it.
    At the bottom of the OP it talks about needing to share the URLs atm. Might relate to it being private?
  • LiebLieb Posts: 11 Oculus Staff

@chaostheorem
    What do you see under "Privacy" when you go to edit that Sculpt? Does it say something like, "Medium is not available in your region"? Or do you have the option of making it pubic from there? 
    We're starting the site off as US-only just to get going. To be honest, the Medium team is pretty new at this website thing and we just want to start off slowly as we get it off the ground. Most of us live in the US and are more comfortable with the policies for online content here so it's a little easier for us to launch in the US instead of trying to figure out the whole world right off the bat. 
  • Paul_BlythePaul_Blythe Posts: 325
    Trinity
    Baby steps ... can't wait to see how Medium grows over time :smiley:
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,363 Valuable Player
    @Lieb Thanks for being honest and letting us know! Although im sure there are some colleagues around the office that can help you with the web stuff  :p
    Yeah, is totally understandable, guys. Keep us Europeans updated whenever there's a plan for rolling out this side of the Atlantic. On behalf of the unamericans, we promise to be super patient!  o:)

On a side note. Is there a dev blog or any plans for one or are you planning on playing it close to your chests? 

BTW: If and when you need alpha or beta testers - I'm very good at breaking software :D
  • ker2xker2x Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    BTW: If and when you need alpha or beta testers - I'm very good at breaking software :D

Everyone is good at breaking stuff, you need to be bug at bug reporting :wink:
  • DejayRezmeDejayRezme Posts: 4
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)

Enabled in US Only

:(
  • SmallpolySmallpoly Posts: 5
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited December 2016
    Hey, I noticed when doing a sculpt at workthat it didn't want to upload it to any account other than the one it was made on.

I had to log out of oculus itself, and log in on my account, then copy over the model I'd made and do some fudgery in the files to get the model to upload. It would be really great to have an easier way to get models to the right community page for all the people that sketch on their lunch break or at a friend's house.

I'd also love to see a sketchfab/marmoset like model viewer on the sharing site. I've been putting mine up on sketchfab so far. Alternately, you coult team up with them like tilt brush is doing.

It's also sure to be a ton of bandwidth trouble, but I feel like the 500mb limit on models is going to keep some of the most interesting and detailed work off the site. Some kind of way to check the file size while sculpting to stay under this limit would help as well.

Last, though not a community site suggestion, it would be really great to be able to pick the drive and directory where the sculpts end up. A lot of these can be pretty big, so if your main drive is already close to full things could fill up pretty fast.
  • SH80NE87SH80NE87 Posts: 6
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Does anyone know if there is a way to change the environment within oculus medium? I love the app it's great, but I'd like to display my finished sculptures in a better way. Should I use another program like sketchfab? ****************
  • Olly1000ErrorsOlly1000Errors Posts: 1
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    I was also excited about. but yes a shame it's only in the US.
    For those of you facebook users interested in sharing your work, discussing technique etc. I made a non official group for doing this.  It would be nice to connect with other VR artists on there :)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/347342288985977/

Are medium sculpts in a portable format? ie. could I just download a file and stick it in folder-x and then load up the sculpt in Medium or is it a big complicated package of stuff? Could be us second class citizens could just use FB for the time being.
    @P3nT4gR4m
    You can zip up the files (Documents\Medium\Sculpts\<username>\<sculptname>), email them, unzip, and it should work fine. 

• SH80NE87SH80NE87 Posts: 6
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    So does anyone know the proper way to upload exported oculus medium creations into sketchfab? It's saying something is wrong with the shading when I upload it to sketchfab and it looks like no texture..
  • Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 8
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited December 2016

Disappointing, not being able to share or collaborate as I am outside of the US. Such a shame to have reduced functionality in this awesome program. I hope European and other users do not get locked out from other functionalities in Oculus, social and other. Fantastic program however, enjoyed hours and hours creating stuff.

ps.  You would not believe how much time I wasted trying to upload....an in program notification would be practical.

• RoasterRoaster Posts: 692
    Neo
    @Lieb
    Is there going to be a button to browse others uploaded content? Typing in the address for other artists seems to work if you know who to look for, but I keep getting "no content uploaded" messages for most.
    Is it ok to post our addresses to let others view our artists page?
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 226 Oculus Staff
    Roaster said:
    @Lieb
    Is there going to be a button to browse others uploaded content? Typing in the address for other artists seems to work if you know who to look for, but I keep getting "no content uploaded" messages for most.
    Is it ok to post our addresses to let others view our artists page?
    Yes, please do share your galleries with whomever you'd like! We're going to be adding functionality to the site and rolling it out slowly over time (Our team is mostly made up of former game developers so the whole sharing website thing is new to many of us so we're taking it slow). You will start to see discoverability features come online in the future, but for now, please share your links and work!
  • Henri1970Henri1970 Posts: 8
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    edited February 3
    in the US only <- Any news when full functionality will be available outside of the US?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,277 Power Poster
    Henri1970 said:
    in the US only <- Any news when full functionality will be available outside of the US?
    It already opened up internationally, a couple weeks ago.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 226 Oculus Staff
    Henri1970 said:
    Oops, forgot to edit that out of the original post, as nalex66 said, it's open internationally as of a couple weeks ago.