cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controllers are Blurry

irocziv
Honored Guest
The menus on the controllers seem much blurrier than they ought to be.

I do notice that if I close one eye it seems to help a bit. 

Also not sure if it matters but I am a little bit farsighted (I don't seem to focus well with both eyes open closer than about 9 inches)
3 REPLIES 3

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

irocziv said:

Also not sure if it matters but I am a little bit farsighted (I don't seem to focus well with both eyes open closer than about 9 inches)

You're not farsighted enough it matters.  The image focus is set at about 1.5meters.   But it does sound like your IPD might be set incorrectly.  Tends to be more critical the "Closer" an object is and hence the wider the difference in position of the image in each eye.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Copy and paste from my other comment:

It's likely vergence-accomodation conflict (your eyes focus at the " wrong* " depth for objects that appear close in VR), I doubt much can be done about it in software. It's just that for some reason it's happens more in Medium... You can try holding the controllers further away from you, try to "train" your eyes not to focus, try to close one eye, etc.

* Biologically speaking it's the correct depth: in real life if the object is close your eyes need to focus close, but unfortunately the Rift displays stuff in focus only if your eyes are focused far.

irocziv
Honored Guest

pieroman said:

Copy and paste from my other comment:

It's likely vergence-accomodation conflict (your eyes focus at the " wrong* " depth for objects that appear close in VR), I doubt much can be done about it in software. It's just that for some reason it's happens more in Medium... You can try holding the controllers further away from you, try to "train" your eyes not to focus, try to close one eye, etc.

* Biologically speaking it's the correct depth: in real life if the object is close your eyes need to focus close, but unfortunately the Rift displays stuff in focus only if your eyes are focused far.

Seems like that could be a possibility. I attempted to focus my eyes far away and "look" at the controllers, and though the 2 images didn't converge for each eye, it did seem like they might have been crisper, but that also might have been due to having to "look" through one eye at a time to not get the conflict of 2 separate images.

Another thing I noticed: If I hold the controller up into the fringe of the lens (also causing my eyes to look up at a steep angle) I find the images/text on the controller's less blurry, which is opposite of what I usually notice in games (albeit mostly while looking at things much further away)

TwoHedWlf said:

irocziv said:

You're not farsighted enough it matters.  The image focus is set at about 1.5meters.   But it does sound like your IPD might be set incorrectly.  Tends to be more critical the "Closer" an object is and hence the wider the difference in position of the image in each eye.

I have messed with the IPD quite a bit to see what difference it makes. While with a friend picking up glasses, I even asked if they could check my IPD, which they gave me 31/31, so I don't think that is the issue.