/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Is there a way to change the skybox / backdrop in Medium?

robdoodrobdood Posts: 19
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
..or even just disable the default?  I feel like there must be and I'm just being blind/stupid! :) 

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 1,995 Valuable Player
    There is only one skybox at the moment but if you press the home button and then go into the settings on the right hand side, you can turn off the skybox and then select a solid colour for the background :)
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 561 Poster of the Week
    I've found the backdrop colour really affects my sculpt. I rarely go in with a plan, just start doodling and see what happens. If I choose black BG or (even better) a deep, dark red. Demons and monsters happen. If I choose an airy sky blue, tho, I tend to make cutesy fluffy crap.
  • surtsurt Posts: 22
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    I was dissapointed we don't have the lighting and environment seen in early demos: http://icdn1.digitaltrends.com/image/oculus-medium-1000x667.png
  • bhsharpbhsharp Posts: 32 Oculus Staff
    @surt - the reason we didn't ship that environment is exactly what @P3nT4gR4m mentioned. We did a ton of environment explorations, and in the end, we found that:

a) walls are bad because it's too easy to lose your sculpt through them.
    b) very realistically modeled large, open spaces make you feel uncomfortably exposed (standing on a vast, open plain - one artist said he felt like "a bird was going to carry him off"
    c) the palette and content of the environment really influence what you sculpt

So we went with an abstract space without walls, the ground grid just for a good visual reference, and a skybox, but let you turn all that off and pick a BG color too.

In some world we could have cleaned up all our experiments and shipped them as easter eggs or something but compared to getting everything else done that just didn't bubble up to the top of the list.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,304
    Neo
    it would be nice to have other backgrounds as an option
    But it could buy me a boat
    It could buy me a truck to pull it
    It could buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets
  • robdoodrobdood Posts: 19
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    @bsharp thanks for the info! I guess all I'd really like is just alternate versions of the default, ie different times of day, like dusk or night.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 1,995 Valuable Player
    edited December 2016
    It would be great to have a dynamic skybox like you can get in Unreal engine to change the time of the day and get realistic lighting :) Although I know this is a big ask!  :#

Never you mind day night cycles we need to prioritise here. I'm sure everyone will agree that it's of utmost importance we have a - fires of hell - themed skybox asap. Bonus points if the faint screams of the fallen can be heard on ambient audio.

• XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    Id like to see them add multiplay to this app. so two people can work on one scultp or at least so one person could watch me puncha hole in my scultps when my right controller takes  flaky. 
    Nexus 6
    actually frozenpea maybe the devs of medium could partner up with UE to use UE in the app instead of the thing that is running us out of mem lol :)
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    Ahh  I see. cool thanks for replying. The reason i mentioned UE was that when i used it to build a house scene even with all the materials and lighting and while manipulating everything including a large mountain landscape I didnt have any of these stutterings or memory probs with it.. but i guess maybe just needs some tweaking of sorts? anyhoo medium is such a good app but right now i cant focus on it with the controller tracking issues and things im having.. cant wait till those are ironed out then i will be struggling to pull away from medium to play anything else lol
  • bhsharpbhsharp Posts: 32 Oculus Staff
    Well, the assets you're using with UE are probably vastly lower-poly than the ones in Medium; because of the way our clay tech works, it's generating a lot of triangles (since you can sculpt and reshape it all.) We'll probably at some point get around to reducing layers you're not actively working on, or finding some way around that.
    Nexus 6
    I remember seeing somewhere some option on some rendering program that allows you to reduce the triangles but still keeping a good resolution.. I cant remember the name of it.. i think it was something in the new UE 4 update they brought out.

XlordB said:
    I remember seeing somewhere some option on some rendering program that allows you to reduce the triangles but still keeping a good resolution.. I cant remember the name of it.. i think it was something in the new UE 4 update they brought out.

In 3d rendering it's usually called something like "decimate" or "remesh". The UE4 update I think you're talking about is the auto LOD (Level of Detail) which actually generates lower poly versions of your mesh on import. UE4 uses these lower poly versions when the object is further away from you to save memory. LOD probably isn't that applicable to Medium but the deimate/remesh thing (or something voxel-equivalent) would be cool.
  • wxyzwxyz Posts: 18
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    bhsharp said:
    @XlordB speaking as both the Medium project director and a former gamedev who built several games on various versions of the Unreal Engine, UE certainly wouldn't HELP any of our memory usage. :)

Fundamentally the reason things run out of memory is just because sculpts take a lot of memory and layer operations often involve temporarily using a pretty big chunk.

There's more we can do there and we'll keep chipping away at it. But actually, long long ago we were prototyping Medium in the Unity engine and when we switched away we debated continuing with Unity, switching to UE, or writing our own engine, and we chose the latter and it was absolutely the right choice. :)
    Will Medium use all available ram, or is there a cutoff programmed in?