cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Squeaky trigger of right touch controller

alexchang734
Explorer
I've started to notice the trigger of the right touch controller start to squeak and it's really bugging me. Anyone else have this problem? And can anyone suggest a way to fix it? Cheers
27 REPLIES 27

xWandererx
Heroic Explorer
Id try a squirt of WD40 down the sides of the trigger

SuperTuck
Expert Protege
Don't do that

zorex
Sightseer
I have the same problem... I've uploaded a  video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcN0hgcttho

elboffor
Consultant
i feel sorry for the small rodent you have trapped in your touch controller. clearly it distressed in some way
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer

I've started to notice the trigger of the right touch controller start to squeak and it's really bugging me. Anyone else have this problem? And can anyone suggest a way to fix it? Cheers

Alex, I was thinking about discussing this..

Your left touch still has that sound deadening type of thud, almost as if it has a layer of resistance right?
Yet the right one seems to 'slap' more, and smack against the inside plastic as if whatever was their to prevent that has been dislodged or worn out. 

Given that it's the right side, that is not surprising as it most likely get's used four times more than the left (for the average person).

I suspect in time the left one will behave and sound the same as well.

Sadly, this is probably just poor and cheap construction and nothing we can do about it ourselves. With how things have been going for Oculus lately, I wouldn't be surprised if people requested RMAs.

It's been a week or two and people are already facing this issue. That's not acceptable.

Flausn
Expert Protege
i gave mine backt o media markt yesterday ive got new ones now...in my case the trigger was loud if i press it fast like the rubber stopper was gone and squeaky when pressed slow...and 1mm or 2 play when i pressed from the side...the new ones are good. change them !!!

Fiege
Expert Protege
Same here! Strange noise only on the right hand side, probably because of being right handed. If you one uses the left handed one more often, the same noise might occur there. As long it is just a bit noisy I do not mind. Fingers crossed it won't turn out to be another hardware fault and dies eventually.

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer

Flausn said:

i gave mine backt o media markt yesterday ive got new ones now...in my case the trigger was loud if i press it fast like the rubber stopper was gone and squeaky when pressed slow...and 1mm or 2 play when i pressed from the side...the new ones are good. change them !!!

Even if you do not get the rodent squeak, you're still faced with a less impact softened trigger and a plastic hitting plastic sound. Something I noted was that if you press the lower outside (right) quadrant of the button, you still get some of that deadened and reduced impact sound. However if you move to the left side (low or high) it returns to the slapping. Obviously reverse this if your problem is with the left controller.

Here is the sound it makes(yes that is a video):

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNgwsH9IGZ4lnltu0IPJqqEtYQ_7vDxylYK9S8Ya9SEqMjbLXBTkkSf8c2rhBF1...

Possibly the spring has been slightly dislodged or is bent.

The new ones would be good, because they are new. The question is whether it happens again in a few weeks time or even a few months.

It's also important to know that the springs act as a conductive path for the capacitive sensing for the face buttons..which is a bit concerning really.

So there's two issues at play here, probably resulting from the same fault.

@cybereality
Can you comment on this? This is what you expect from a worn out Xbox controller after a year or two of use. 

Should this be expected behavior so soon after launch? 

stalker81598
Explorer
I believe what you have circled there are the A/B buttons.

I have also experienced the issue with the "slapping" trigger on my right controller. Additionally, I noticed increased side-to-side movement of the trigger, particularly when pressed down. I don't think it's an issue with the spring. It seems to me that there must be a small amount of damping material, like a rubber pad, under the trigger which has become dislodged. The underside of the trigger is now hitting the inside of the housing or perhaps the PCB underneath.

Squeaking could be caused by the rubber pad shifting to one side and rubbing against the trigger as it moves. Just guessing here. The iFixit photos don't really show a good close up of the area.

I've contacted Oculus support and arranged for an RMA. I'm holding out hope that this is just a bad batch and not a design flaw. I'd hate to wait however long it takes to get a replacement only to have the same issue pop up again.

Please enjoy a video of my slappy trigger.

https://youtu.be/Bt9nspR-91c