New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

any way to import images

danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,524
3Jane
any way to import images so we can use them for reference, like a naked person in an art class.
But it could buy me a boat
It could buy me a truck to pull it
It could buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,363 Valuable Player
    Not yet! I feel your pain too, I find it really helpful to have a reference. Ive just been peeking at images while sculpting. The guys working on Medium mentioned they are currently working on it but i guess it might be hard to do.
  • DevilstowerDevilstower Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is my biggest request. Seems like an obvious need that's much greater here than in a non VR-based sculpting tool. I find myself constantly flipping up the headset to check details against a source image.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 2,446 Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 1
    I've yet to delve deeply into medium... but can a 3D object be imported complete with its textures? If so, an image could be placed on a flatish object in another package, then imported as a reference canvas. Or does import just import the shape?
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, Asus X99-Deluxe, oh no my PC died
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 968 Poster of the Week
    @DaftnDirect
    It's just the shape. On the plus side, I've noticed that when you export a layer as a stamp, it preserves the colours (at least on the preview) This seems a bit wasteful unless they're planning to have them coloured at some point in the future. Coloured stamps would be sick, btw!
    Thanks @P3nT4gR4m, I've probably asked that question before. Really need to have another play with Medium
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, Asus X99-Deluxe, oh no my PC died
    OK I found a way.... at least it's a way if you have Photoshop. Will put together a short set of instructions and example.
    edited January 1

The only way I can find is to put the image on the clouds backdrop, there's no other way to do it that I can find but this also means the backdrop itself can be changed.

edited January 2

Instructions for above:

Go to x:\Oculus\Software\Software\oculus-oculus-medium-retail\assets\raw\textures\environment\clouds
    MAKE A BACKUP of clouds_skybox.dds and rename it.

Download nvidia Texture Tool plugin for Adobe Photoshop: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop  (this will allow you to open and save .dds images).

Open clouds_skybox.dds (not the backup) in Photoshop
    Open your referance image and copy it into the clouds_skybox.dds image as a new layer

Reduce the horizontal size of the referance image by about 40%
    Apply the 'Distort/Polar Coordinates' filter to the image, with 'Rectangular to Polar' as the set option

Rotate and position the image to roughly where I've shown below

Save as clouds_skybox.dds back into same folder as above.

I can post a.psd template if that helps

@DaftnDirect Dude,  you are the reigning king of awesome! Im not too bothered about ref images but if I can change that skysphere to something a bit more - P3nT4gR4m, I'll be the complete man! 
    edited January 2

Just tested Paint.net and that also opens .dds images and it's free: http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

It has layers and also provides the ability to carry out polar distortions so may be able to do what Photoshop does.

• johnboyjrjohnboyjr Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist

Just tested Paint.net and that also opens .dds images and it's free: http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

It has layers and also provides the ability to carry out polar distortions so may be able to do what Photoshop does.

it imports  and opends fine in the sky but i am not sure how to get the distortion right it looks worped in medium
    edited January 2

@johnboyjr, can you use my example (see above) as a layer? then use that as a guide to position the reference image in Paint.net?

I've not used Paint.net so will have to have a play to figure out the exact steps needed in that app

Edit. OK I've just had a play and it looks like Paint.net won't let you distort the reference image in the right way.

Paint.net will let you convert any image to and from .dds format though, so if you have another paint package that performs the polar transform ok, then you can use Paint.net to convert it to .dds.

Otherwise it looks like Photoshop is the only option!

Hiro Protagonist

@johnboyjr, can you use my example (see above) as a layer? then use that as a guide to position the reference image in Paint.net?

I've not used Paint.net so will have to have a play to figure out the exact steps needed in that app

2 problems its mirrored and it looks like its leaning back

Edit. OK I've just had a play and it looks like Paint.net won't let you distort the reference image in the right way.

Paint.net will let you convert any image to and from .dds format though, so if you have another paint package that performs the polar transform ok, then you can use Paint.net to convert it to .dds.

Otherwise it looks like Photoshop is the only option!

@johnboyjr, was that done using Paint.net or Photoshop?

Basically you need the sides of the reference image to point towards the centre of the sphere, that will ensure the image appears upright and not leaning back.

Reversing the image should be easy enough so that it's not mirrored.

Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 2

@johnboyjr, was that done using Paint.net or Photoshop?

paint

I will post how to do it with paint.Net latter

That's a much better result than I got with Paint.

Photoshop pretty much sets that image to the correct proportion by default but I realise it's a lot of money if this is the only reason to purchase it!

You know those cute, fluffy sculpts I do from time to time? Well you can wave goodbye to those. As of tonight everything I make will be CENOBITES!!!

Hiro Protagonist
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    You know those cute, fluffy sculpts I do from time to time? Well you can wave goodbye to those. As of tonight everything I make will be CENOBITES!!!

how did you get the model next to the photo?
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 3
    ok here is how i did it in paint.
    mirror reference
     open clouds_skybox.dds
    import a new layer from file- pick your reference 
    move it to the center 
    edit select all
    effects-distort-polar
    settings=amount 1.5, offset 0 and 1 edge clamp qualty 2
    hit ok
    rotate and move the photo to the area that DaftnDirect used
    save and done

johnboyjr said:
    P3nT4gR4m said:

Dude, that's my medium skybox you're looking at. I blasted Geiger's Baphomet over the whole thing. Any photoshpere will do. This isn't even a sphere (I was too lazy) so it's all weird and distorted and I love it B)
    Hiro Protagonist
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    johnboyjr said:
    P3nT4gR4m said:

Dude, that's my medium skybox you're looking at. I blasted Geiger's Baphomet over the whole thing. Any photoshpere will do. This isn't even a sphere (I was too lazy) so it's all weird and distorted and I love it B)
    oh cool looks good
    this way of getting refrance's is not perfect but its not bad

here is what i tried making 
  • leslievdbleslievdb Posts: 10
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    i was just testing an ogex exporter and you could potentially replace any of the scene models with a textured plane. managed to replace the speaker geometry with a plane but i couldnt find the materialtype to use inside of 3ds max . maybe some of you blender users might have more luck.
    drive:\oculus\Software\oculus-oculus-medium-retail\assets\raw\models

http://opengex.org/
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    managed to do this you can scale the plane and move it around since it replaces the speaker
    theres a dark wash going over the image that i cant seem to fix though. i made the material unlit but it persists.

for those who want to play around with it i added a zip with a textdocument and instructions

Hiro Protagonist
    leslievdb said:
    managed to do this you can scale the plane and move it around since it replaces the speaker
    theres a dark wash going over the image that i cant seem to fix though. i made the material unlit but it persists.

for those who want to play around with it i added a zip with a textdocument and instructions

don't you need to stop modeling to see it?
    edited January 3
    @leslievdb - problem is, the speaker only shows up in scene editor, you'd still have to flip workspaces to see it. If you could find the asset for the ground plane, tho, you'd have a huge flat canvas that wouldn't require the photoshop distortion and lack of image quality associated and it's always on

Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    its a quick toggle though , also picked the speaker since it behaves the most like i`d want actual reference in the scene to behave. anyway it was a test to see if it is possible :) now you can potentially replace anything with the plane 
  • bananapunkbananapunk Posts: 9
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    leslievdb said:

Hey,
    what did you use to create plane geometry? I found export plugins on http://opengex.org/ , but no import. If I could import the dome geometry I could add a reference plane to it.
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is one of if not our most requested features. We're working on this for an update soon! 
    any time frame?