/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

import obj

peachlabpeachlab Posts: 1
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
Hi is there a way to import obj or other 3d format into medium?
Tagged:

Comments

• naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 35 Oculus Staff
    Yes! you can import OBJs as stamps to use while sculpting. To import an OBJ, take the OBJ file you’d like to use and navigate to your Medium folder found in your Documents directory and then to the folder named “_Import.” Copy your OBJ into the “stamps” folder contained there. In Medium, open the Main Menu, navigate to the personal tab, and select Stamps. At the bottom of the window, you’ll see an import button. Select this, and you can now access your OBJ as a stamp in Medium. Note: Stamps are intended to be lower resolution tools for building your sculpt.
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 561 Poster of the Week
    Medium. Note: Stamps are intended to be lower resolution tools for building your sculpt.
    I've not tried importing yet but I've seen this advice before and was wondering if the import object is decimated on import to fit some limit or, failing that, how many polys (ballpark) should we be shooting for? Looking at the existing stamps I'm thinking 2-3k. Does that sound about right? 
  • bhsharpbhsharp Posts: 32 Oculus Staff
    It doesn't decimate it in *triangles*, but it does convert it to our SDF representation. So if you just imagine slicing your mesh up into - I think the number is currently 128 - like slicing it up into a 3D grid, you'll see loss in details finer than that grid.
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 600
    Neo
    edited December 2016
    I put a couple *.obj into the folder but Medium doesn't see them.  Could this be because they're too large? Er what?

Edit ... today my obj's are showing in the stamp menu.  Safe-n-sound. Ready to rock. Win.
    Just that I never really imported them.

Large files make large stamps. 

i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • ShadowxxShadowxx Posts: 7
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Hey, sorry for getting back to this, but whenever I upload my obj it becomes super low res and choppy.
  • johnboyjrjohnboyjr Posts: 48
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Shadowxx said:
    Hey, sorry for getting back to this, but whenever I upload my obj it becomes super low res and choppy.
    Its because of the way meduim imports obj. You need split the obj up and make it into multiple stamps if u want it to look better
  • ShadowxxShadowxx Posts: 7
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    johnboyjr said:
    Shadowxx said:
    Its because of the way meduim imports obj. You need split the obj up and make it into multiple stamps if u want it to look better
    Thank you. 
  • WuestefeldWuestefeld Posts: 12
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Would be great, to be able to import an OBJ-scene

For example I wanted to add some Medium-sculptures to a existing scene. But as Iam only able to import the scene as a stamp it´s more time effort to get it at the same scale and rotation that the scene was before..
  • johnboyjrjohnboyjr Posts: 48
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Would be great, to be able to import an OBJ-scene

For example I wanted to add some Medium-sculptures to a existing scene. But as Iam only able to import the scene as a stamp it´s more time effort to get it at the same scale and rotation that the scene was before..
    They said they will add it. But it is strange they didnt have references and import reight from the start
  • flobvflobv Posts: 3
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Any idea when they will add it (the import option) ?