/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

P3nT's sketchbook

P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 671 Poster of the Week
Figured I'm hardly qualified for the "First Sculpts" thread any more and, tbh, I kinda like that being for first sculpts so I figured I might as well make my own sketchbook vanity thread like they seem to do everywhere else that 3d modelling and forums collide.

I'll post my crap in here. You guys can look at it and chuckle and hopefully start your own thread so's I don't feel like I'm the only attention whore in the place!

Comments

• RoasterRoaster Posts: 612
    Neo
    edited December 2016
    out
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 671 Poster of the Week
    So I made up a custom stamp with a big, ropey stitch, holding flesh together on one side and on the other side a staple, again holding flesh together. Here's a quick test. 

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 2,497 Valuable Player
    edited December 2016
    You're making nice progress with your face anatomy.

Edit: Weird, the forum auto-censored the more correct mode of the word face in the above sentence (fac-ial anatomy)... I didn't know we had an auto-censor, must be new.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    @nalex66 Thanks, man. Most of my progress is down to Medium. It's just so bloody fast and smooth and I can see what I'm doing. I've done six months worth of practice in the last couple of weeks. 
    Bit more wip on Smeagol. Redid the lower jaw (less pointy chin), thinned out a lot of the features. Story is I hate ears. I suck at them (even more so than I suck at everything else) so I always leave them to last. So I'd only done the one ear on this cos I was working to a single photo ref. I was doing the ear last so I'd already turned off symmetry long ago and I forgot to turn it back on. Later on I went back and redid bits of the ear in more detail and this time symmetry was back on (I jump back and forth a bit, on if it's a big change or off for detailing) So I ended up with a ghost skeleton ear or something. I'm calling this one Van Gollum.

Hardly been near Medium today. Did a retopo and bake on Gollum. Diffuse is straight out of medium which suits me cos Blender polypainting does my head in. My diffuse map has a big ugly join down the middle, cos I had to hack the Medium output in half to get symmetry back and I've no idea how to join them back up. I'll paint it out in photoshop anyway. Blender old fashioned render cos cycles scares the bejeezus out of me. Next stop UE4...

Trying to give the swirl tool some love. To be honest it feels kinda gimmicky and uses up a valuable slot on the quick menu. That said I shot for one of my favourite surf waves - Pipeline in Hawaii. Swirl tool performs, pretty much as advertised. If I can think of something to do with it, no doubt it's the dog's whassits but I can see those moments being few and far between. I'm sure I could have done a way better job on this with just the clay tool and my bare hands anyway. 

edited January 1
    Spent an hour or so mucking about wi the smudge tool. Finding a lot of uses. There's a sweet spot in size versus resolution where it gets very, very snake hook. Only problem is I can drag into the mesh, only pull out. Need to switch to deflate for that. 

I'm loving my newfound weapon, tho. For shaping muscles it's nice and clean compared to clay. Good for lines and a hint of striations, tho.

Sea Monkeys

So I was like seven or something and this is what I was expecting to come in the post

Colour gif was a mess with the glowy bits so the lathe is greyscaled

Plodding on with my Gollum sculpt.

Had a muck about with him in Cycles and actually managed to get somewhere for once. Very simple node setup and it's still the old remesh with the dodgy mouth but what a difference subsurf makes!

Download here
  • XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2
    The eyes ned to be bigger for gollum
    and jaw and face thinner.. ;) looks awesome though
    @XlordB Cheers for feedback. I sussed out the eyes were too small tonight in Blender. I've tweaked them a bit and moved them forward, out the sockets, too. Whaddya think? bigger still?

Tonight I resymmetrised in Medium, which created a whole bunch of jaggy artifacts that seem to be a result of some of the math that's being crunched during the weld process. Didn't realise quite how bad it looked until I got it into blender. So I jumped into sculpt mode to give it a quick dust down with the smooth tool. QUICK?? Jesus, I don't remember this taking an eternity before. Two weeks using nothing but Medium and already I don't want to have to sculpt in flatscreen ever again.

Nexus 6
    yeh looks better ;)

Nexus 6
    edited January 3

What you think of this.. I know its not as detailed as yours but I have to be honest the symmetry tool makes a fun way to create these things I think all thats missing from medium is the ability to add a light source to the emissive objects and maybe the ability to pick a background? like instead of just seeing a photo actually being able to use a large photo as a backdrop so we can create objects within the backgrounds. That way we could like take a picture of a field or of a forest and just add objects n things.. or even be able to change the skybox to a space one or time of day change?
    Nexus 6
    Ive been pondering about doing an extremely detailed scene of something which im willing to take a good long time over but im struggling for inspiration right now lol :)
    Myself, I'm still learning this stuff like a total noob. I don't like taking on big projects on account of if I get stuck or bogged down with something, my progression and motivation ride off into the sunset waving all their middle fingers at me.

I find most of the time I can turn out something in an hour or two that I feel happy with. I learn tons every time I do and, if it all goes to hell, I scrap it and move on to the next thing. The inspiration for this crab thing came by just jumping into the rift and scribbling in the air. 

Trying a female skull from no references. I'll check refs and tidy this up later then I'll have a male and a female one to sculpt over. Some people like sculpting from basemeshes. I prefer to start with the skull, even tho it probably takes a bit longer. It's as much a theory and practice exercise as a workflow for me. 

Much as I'd like to, I can't sculpt interesting things all the time. If I want to build a believable VR environment I'll have to model a bunch of boring mundane stuff like doors and windows and dustbins and lampposts.

Yeah, lampposts. I can do one of those no problems

• MapesMapes Posts: 16
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Did you have to go back and watch your whole sculpt for the crab creature video?
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 282
    Nexus 6
    Really great elephant!