cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhot is super overrated

cybernettr
Superstar
 I know I will get a lot of flack for this post, but here goes. Sometimes it seems that rift users will fawn all over a game simply because it's touch enabled. The fact is that  Superhot is not all that hot, and not  for reasons some may think. 

I don't have a problem with it because it's "too short." I find that if a short game is really compelling, you can play it over and over again and continue to get something out of it.  I also love "the Matrix" style graphics.  My main beef with the game is that the game mechanics are all wrong.

I throw an ashtray at an enemy's torso and in the next split-second he completely dodges it.  I throw a bottle at an enemy and in the blink of an eye  he shoots it, shattering it to smithereens. I shoot a bullet at an enemy that would clearly hit them head-on and he dodges it. Obviously, since bullets move much faster than people do, this would be impossible.

Then there are the times when the game won't let me pick up an object. When you reach toward an object and come within range, it should be covered with a set of thin blue lines, but sometimes this does not happen, causing the player to lose.  Most players would consider this unacceptable with other games. 

The worst part is, hits that should count but don't. I will make a punch that clearly connects with the enemy's head and it goes right through.  This happens A LOT.  Plus the game seems to forget that I have arms too, not just hands. If my hand is held up at right angles to the enemy, that means that my elbow is blocking his swing! Even if you want to consider me a couple of disembodied hands, a punch that clearly connects with the enemy's head should count every time, not just when the game feels like it. 

This game is supposed to make you feel like a superhero. I don't. I just feel frustrated.

If you really had the ability to slow down time, it would be no contest and your enemies wouldn't stand a chance. The developers, realizing this, put in a lot of handicaps that shouldn't exist  simply to make the game artificially challenging. 
67 REPLIES 67

jayhawk
Superstar
I never fell for the hype. Maybe when it's $5

cybereality
Grand Champion
The game is great. Sounds like you just need to play it more to get used to how it works.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
The game is too short!

stereoman
Protege
I enjoy the game but it clearly shows the limitations of my small play area, the times when I try to grab something and it's just out of reach is very frustrating,I really think developers need to have options built into these games for different play area sizes, not everyone can devote an entire room to VR, thankfully my play area size is still fine for most of the games i've tried but with Superhot I felt a little shortchanged.

HeadRusch1
Protege
It takes a little getting used to, but I haven't had the issues the OP is describing here, it's worked pretty well for me.  I find the mechanics to be pretty interesting, but I haven't played very far into the game, or maybe I have if the game is short, but I can't fault the experience, it's unique.  

However, I do also wish I could play this game without the stock graphics and perhaps have this same mechanic in a better 3D world.  Less wireframe. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're definitely entitled to your own opinion, but keep in mind that doesn't make it a "fact". 

I personally haven't experienced the frustrations you have, and have enjoyed the game mechanics. To each their own.

Thane_
Heroic Explorer
If the time slowing thing works for you why can't it work for the AI chaps just doing their jobs? Are you racist against AI? I don't like this game either, its on the interest level of Space Invaders for me. Someone said that because of the current price of VR, only super-fans and rich people will be able or willing to afford it for a time and all these positive comments concerning Superhot make me wonder if its mainly the rich people experiencing modern gameplay combined with experiencing 3D and headtracking for the first time. I'm pretty sure thats wrong, but i wonder how wrong.

moonpigsART
Protege
I had the same impressions with super hot at first op but like cybereality said just keep playing it more. The game mechanics didn't click right away with me and I struggled to enjoy the game. I've failed many times at this game to the point where I memorized where the enemy would be and I could anticipate where to shoot or throw an object to land perfectly on target. When you play it enough and learn from trial and error then you can start getting creative with the situation at hand. 

jayhawk
Superstar

The game is great. Sounds like you just need to play it more to get used to how it works.

I'm sure it is great....for $5