New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Space Pirate Trainer: Leaderboard

OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,183 Poster of the Week
edited January 15 in Games and Apps
So after enjoying this game for a good bit, I decided to try a serious attempt at increasing my scores. Here are my results.
I noticed there's no hardcore mode rankings for single weapons like there is for classic. If anyone wants tips or wishes to post their scores as well, feel free, the more the merrier. :)

Mixed                          | Rank 75 | 66075 (hardcore - Rank 31 - 41175)  - Wildt 56 - 71475 (Wildt's hardcore mixed - 0)
Quark Cannon             | Rank 16 | 65025     - Wildt 35 - 56375
Pulse Laser                 | Rank 9 | 42200     - Wildt 34 - 30550
Shotworks                   | Rank 21 | 48575     - Wildt 16 - 56100
Railgun                        | Rank 48 | 18000     - Wildt 65 - 16350
-Raygun                        | Rank 13 | 60875     - Wildt 9 - 71475
Ion Grenade                | Rank 22 | 64975      - Wildt 75 42350
Brawler (sword only)   | Rank 35 | 23550      - Wildt 277 6850

I may update this later as I beat old scores and such. Pretty fun game, easily the best wave shooter I've tried.

Edit - Updated ranks to be accurate, added a rival to the list in the spirit of competition. If anyone else not a friend of mine that wants to add me feel free, or just post your scores here.

Comments

• VetkinVetkin Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    What would you say is a good strategy for a beginner?  I've played this game a decent amount but still rank in the thousands.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 653
    Neo
    don't die :tongue:

I'd like to know too
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,183 Poster of the Week
    edited January 10
    I would say to do good you really need more than standing room only. I use around 6x8feet play space and I feel if I had more I could rank even higher. It may help to start off in a corner of the playspace and go right/left from there to dodge slowly.

When there's a lot shooting at you, try to imagine your body has a tron cycle trail and if you go back through your previous path you get hit. So when time slows and you need to move, slowly go right (or left) non stop and when you can't go farther, stoop/squat/bend down to go under the path then left again until you're almost back at the spot you started at.

The premise is you need to steadily move in a path you haven't been in recently and they should not be able to hit you, like the old snake games but in a 3d cube instead of 2d in a square. It also seems to be essential to make the ones about to fire a priority target, and if they're charging and get hit or moved by blast then the charge restarts. One reason my ion grenade is my highest score is because those grenades are the best weapon for disrupting their charges, fire 2 into a group and detonate them and many die and those who don't are flung around and have to correct themselves to even aim to start charging again.

I also personally think the shields are a bad idea if you're going for a high score. They do protect you and all, but they also half your damage output/rate of fire, and make you stand still more making yourself more of a target. Plus it's really hard to think about where to block while you're trying to shoot with your free hand, making dodging while dual firing the much better option.

Also save all your power-ups for the more difficult waves, it's temping to grab them when you see them, but not really worth it. Also, Ray-gun has a neat effect where you can cross the streams of both guns and it combines into a stream that's stronger than both individually.

And it may help to know that "a" and "x" on the touch controllers are a previous weapon quickswap so you don't have to fumble with the thumb-stick selection to easily use 2 sets of weapons, I find it works good to have ion grenades and shotworks (or quark cannon) on quick-swap to do same quick heavy damage with the 'nades then instantly start picking them off with the accuracy of the quarks.

Good luck, hope some of that helps.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 961 Poster of the Week
    edited January 10
    Good initiative @OpticKing

I agree with not using shield. I'm only at 46k on mixed though (a few hundred below @LordQuake grrrrr :angry: )

I usually start of with a mix of default laser and shotworks gun as it's my best way of reliably clearing the early levels quickly (time bonus). Then at around wave 10 ish I switch to ION grenades as @OpticKing described.

One tip I can toss in if you decide to go with the laser/shotworks - it's important to go John Woo style with your arms wide apart as the projectiles otherwise hit eachother and cancel out.

I'll start gunning for some of your weapon specific scores @OpticKing  - some of them look achievable :grin:

• WarblokeWarbloke Posts: 931 Poster of the Week
    OpticKing takes his games so seriously and approaches them scientifically. I bet he can solve a Rubix cube in seconds.... without peeling off the stickers.
    "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 
    Warbloke said:
    OpticKing takes his games so seriously and approaches them scientifically. I bet he can solve a Rubix cube in seconds.... without peeling off the stickers.
    One of my coworkers son can literally do that with his eyes closed, after inspecting it for a moment.
  • VetkinVetkin Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    Thanks for the tips!  I hadn't really considered the size of my play area being such an issue but there's no way for me to really dodge without crossing my previous path.  My office is a small shared spare bedroom with two computer desks in it, so the only space I have to dodge is about one or two steps in any direction. It barely meets the minimum recommended play area during the guardian setup.

Because dodging is so difficult, I'm forced to use the shield, and as OpticKing said it's difficult to have your attention split between blocking and firing your weapon. When I get hit it's usually because I'm getting shot at from multiple directions and I can't focus on blocking both and shooting at the same time.

Even when handicapped by space limitations it's still a blast to play. Probably one of the most immersive games I've tried.
  • ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 686 Poster of the Week
    Yeah it's funny, I'm pretty crap at this but I blame my own ability and not the game, and it's still fun. Kind of like how crap I was at Space Invaders when I was a kid (1980).
    edited January 10
    Applecorp said:
    Yeah it's funny, I'm pretty crap at this but I blame my own ability and not the game, and it's still fun. Kind of like how crap I was at Space Invaders when I was a kid (1980).
    I could seriously post the above in the Thumper thread :wink:
    But please post your scores anyway, or invite me as a OH friend. 
    My ego needs a boost
    edited January 10
    Wildt said:
    Applecorp said:
    I could seriously post the above in the Thumper thread :wink:
    But please post your scores anyway, or invite me as a OH friend. 
    My ego needs a boost
    Haha, is Wildt your OH name? I'll add you if so.
    It is - found someone with your nick on OH and fired an invite - avatar was a pic of a bike. Looks like a Yamaha :smile:
    edited January 10
    Well spotted,  that is me and that is indeed a Yamaha, my FZ1 to be precise.   :)

Friend request accepted.

I just got 27k, wow, I think the game just clicked with me.

I got a Suzuki SV1000N K7 (+ tune up)
    Applecorp said:

Oh god no :tired_face:
    edited January 10
    Awesome, you also have a Rift and a litre bike, small world. Us oldies are so cool.   B)
    Wildt said:
    Applecorp said:

Oh god no :tired_face:
    I'm sorry.  :s
    edited January 10
    Wildt said:
    I got a Suzuki SV1000N K7 (+ tune up)
    Got an nice little curvy SV650s for my winter commute, always had a soft spot for SV's.
    edited January 10
    @OpticKing
    *cough*pulse laser score*cough*

Also had a decent shotworks round... ended up 100pts below you.. RAAARGH!
    @OpticKing
    DUDE! you need to retake your spots! *nudgenudge* :tongue:
    edited January 11
    I haven't really had the chance to have another go, maybe short 1 session since posting this. Moved pc into a different room so wife can play elite where she wants, but there's no room to move around at all.

I'll definitely have to try and nudge you back out on whatever you beat me on, (shotworks and pulse laser are my two least favorites so I didn't really give them much love) Let me know if you beat my fav weapon scores, and I'll have to make up an excuse to move it back. Ion 'nade and sword only "brawler" were my go to fav weapons, the others seemed to go slow and almost boring until you get around 15k.

Awesome progress though, hard to think you were struggling to break 30k a little before I made this thread. Glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoys a little competition, keep it up!
    edited January 11
    @Wildt

Well done mate, some great scores.

I just had a go and didn't get close to yours, best I managed on the shotgun type weapon was 25k. I'm sure with time it will improve, such a great game though, very addictive trying to beat friends scores.

I think I need to make better use of the shield and try and use it in both hands where possible. Enemies are overwhelming quite early on.

I hope it gets updated with new content at some point.
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 671
    Trinity
    I'm having a hard time feeling good about spending 15 bucks on this. its fun.  Cant really get passed wave 16.  Wave shooters aren't really my thing but the reviews were raving.  TOo bad we cant get refunds.  I know some of my friends would like it so ill keep it for them
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,524
    3Jane
    edited January 11
    i played this game once and it was pretty boring to me, got it with the touch launch bundle.
    But it could buy me a boat
    It could buy me a truck to pull it
    It could buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets
    Applecorp said:
    I think I need to make better use of the shield and try and use it in both hands where possible. Enemies are overwhelming quite early on.
    A great offense is the best defense - kill them bastards before they shoot and you won't need a shield :)

My failure starts when they attack me from several angles at a time, and it's usually my own fault for letting them.
    Tried looking badass a few times shooting behind me with one gun while firing the baddies in front with the other, but soon I realized I had thereby grabbed the friggin' shield instead by accident. DOH!

BTW, is there any way to get into the menus with the Touch controllers without dying first?
    Wildt said:
    Applecorp said:
    A great offense is the best defense - kill them bastards before they shoot and you won't need a shield :)

I tried that approach and didn't last long. I don't tend to move that much though, too concerned about strafing into the wall or stepping on the cat, lol.
    Just beat @OpticKing in Quark Cannon score too.. he's gotta come outta hiding soon :naughty:
    Which is the quark cannon? How do I know what weapon I'm using? What year is it?
    edited January 11
    Applecorp said:
    Which is the quark cannon? How do I know what weapon I'm using? What year is it?
    Press up on the selector - it's the "DnB" type gun - no projectile, pure hitscan.

Just got within 125pts of his railgun score which is the gun I'm the most useless with.. I totally lost my calm when I knew it was within reach... grrrr.
    edited January 11
    Well, I did come out of hiding for a sec, and almost beat that quark score, check again I was 3k below you. I even had 2 lives left, but I stumbled on a toy that should have been outside of the guardian wall and both lives went bye bye. I'll try some more in around 30 mins or so, gotta do stuff irl first. Also, that was only my first and only serious try with the railgun, I dislike how much I have to spam it to hit. If the sights were 4-6 inches across instead of 2, It would be much more comfortable, as it is I ignore the sights and just wing it.

Why do I not see you on the brawler high scores? Release your inner space samurai! Tip: It has saved me countless times using a bot as a shield to block incoming fire, just grab him and move him into the stream. Also linking 2 swords on 1 of them and slamming them behind you does more dmg than one sword by itself.
    OpticKing said:
    Why do I not see you on the brawler high scores? Release your inner space samurai!
    Will do!