/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Elite Dangerous: Friends Lists, Favorite Loadouts, etc.

CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 915 Poster of the Week
Consider this the thread to invite fellow Elite Dangerous players to join your friendslists, on Oculus Home or Steam (to keep track of when people on either platform are playing), and of course within the game itself.

My screenname is the same on all three as it is here. You're all welcome to add me. :wink:

If I'm online and in the general vicinity of your system, I'll probably be willing to wing up if I'm not already working on specific plans.

Currently I'm running a Viper mk4, and I don't expect that to change any time soon. Really love that ship. I never install a shield on it; I just keep the armor reinforced and the heat output low so I can go in and out of Silent Running with no penalty; basically I use it as a 300 ton stealth fighter.

My most common weapon loadout is two medium burst lasers, fixed (modded for efficiency. Plan to get the Kinetic upgrade on 'em) and two small cannons, gimballed. (modded for short-range blaster. Trying to get either Force or High Yield upgrade on them).

I've also been experimenting with two small gimballed pulse lasers (modded for Focus, IE 5k+ range and boosted armor penetration,  one of them can scramble modules randomly)  and two medium fixed multicannons (rapid fire).    Seems to be a pretty effective set-up.

When I do acquire another ship, it'll probably be a Transport or Explorer of some sort.  Something I can either jump really far in or carry a lot of cargo, or both, especially if I can outfit it as a more effective mining vessel than I can my Viper.

Comments

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 1,893 Valuable Player
    I wouldn't mind having a master class tbh.
    I've tried playing it a few times but keep end up running out of fuel many many light-years from anywhere :(
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 915 Poster of the Week
    elboffor said:
    I've tried playing it a few times but keep end up running out of fuel many many light-years from anywhere :(
    I recommend investing in a good fuel scoop. That way you can top off your fuel tank after each system jump, without having to worry about stopping in at stations to buy fuel. If I'm making a lot of jumps, I'll just pull into orbit around each sun, drop my speed down about halfway, and slowly orbit around until I'm facing my next jump.  (just make sure to fly out of scooping range, until your ship's heat starts dropping, BEFORE you start charging your FSD for the next jump.  You're liable to cook yourself if you try to jump from right next to the sun.)

A size 1 or 2 of a higher class shouldn't set you back too far.

Heck, a lot of times I like to equip a down-graded fuel tank, just so my ship isn't weighed down with more than I need for a couple jumps at a time, since less weight means farther jumps.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,181 Volunteer Moderator
    My primary loadout at the moment is a Python with 4 burst laser turrets and a gimbaled multi cannon.
    Turrets are the worst for dps, but having all 4 on the top of my ship means nearly the entire 180 degree hemisphere above my ship is a kill zone. When fighting fast enemies I just keep pulling back, I don't need to even see them.
    (The Python was too slow at turning to dogfight ships like sidewinders after the AI change that makes them stick to your six)

I've got an Asp Explorer for data delivery or small passenger missions. Great ship, plus awesome cockpit view in VR.

elboffor said:
    There's an awesome group of people called the Fuel Rats. If you run out of fuel, you can call for their help (if you are in solo, you can just log out and back in to open world). They will find you and use fuel transfer limpets to refuel you.
    https://www.fuelrats.com
    There's stories on their website of the rescues. One guy flew over 9000 light years, for 10 hours, just to give a stuck ship some fuel.

Oh yeah btw "Bast" is usually my 'home system'  (after migrating there from Dahan).    If you haven't been there yet, well.. it's got a single star, a single planet not too far away, and a single station, Hart Station, orbiting that. (The planet btw is 'earth-like' so nothing we can do with it. Yet.)  Hart station is Federation controlled, has all the basic ameneties you could want, and the market sells "Bast Snake Gin", one of those rare/unique commodities.  I usually get decent missions for nearby systems, there.

But at the moment I've just completed a journey hundreds of lightyears away to the Maia system, in order to seek out some Meta-Alloys to unlock a particular engineer's services.  I hear there's some peculiar alien artifacts on the planet services in the nearby systems.   Heck, maybe I'll even run into a Thargoid down there?  :wink:
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 796 Poster of the Week
    elboffor said:
    haha awww

worst thing ever this feeling of desperately stuck in elite, it feels so real.

i have had many close shaves before i learn, message me if you ever have this happen and i will come fuel rat you, i am in Mobius private group or i can join yours, i never play open but will make exception for fuel ratting that system

Cmdr Miss_Delgado
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 1,893 Valuable Player
    well i did have a scoop, but i jumped into a system with a cold sun, then the next was, and then i was out of fuel :/

first time this happened i deleted my save out of rage.
    second time it happened was the last time i played it, but this was before i formatted and never bothered to back up my save.

shame really cos i bought the x52 pro just for this game and maybe used it 3 times :/
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • Jokergod2000Jokergod2000 Posts: 285
    Nexus 6
    edited January 20
    When you plot a jump you can check to see if the next star is scoopable. Classes A to M are scoopable.

I've played more than most. Currently flying an Anaconda with a full multicannon loadout.

My alien encounter video with some funny coms chatter: 
    I have the strongest desire to fire a torpedo straight into the "eye" of one of those thargons. But I guess by the time a "kidnapped" player's systems come back online, that isn't really an option, eh?

Also, you're running a ship with only multicannons?  Isn't it hard to get through tougher shields with anything but thermal weaponry? 
    When you plot a jump you can check to see if the next star is scoopable. Classes A to M are scoopable.
    If you go into the filter and select only class A to M stars, then course plotting will automatically only use scoopable stars to make a route. Probably longer with more jumps.

One fun little fact: distance to fuel use is exponential, not linear. Going 16ly in one jump uses more fuel than two 8ly jumps.

I spend most of my time at 64 Arietis (Weyn Dock). https://eddb.io/system/291  You'll probably pass by it on the way to Maia.
    There was a community event there, the first one I really got involved with, so I've stuck around ever since. Weyn Dock is also one of the stations listed as having malfunctions due to possible alien activity, so maybe something will happen?

I should take a look at Bast though, sounds interesting.

From what I've heard, the alien malfunctions are caused solely by "Unidentified Artifacts" being sold to the station in a large enough quantity.  There's even a term in the community, "UA Bombing" to describe intentionally dumping a bunch onto a station in order to disable its facilities.

The more I read on this, the more interesting it is. Apparently these artefacts, when dropped, point towards a specific system.. one of the ones I've been checking out on my recent hunt for Meta-Alloys.  And dropped within that system they point to a specific planet. There's a bunch of other weirdness that has yet to be fully solved by the community, such as data hidden in audio files and symbols on the alien structures (aka barnacles) that I wasted most of the evening trying in vain to find.

Well, waste in terms of profit. It's always fun to go driving around craters in the SRV.  :tongue:   Well, 50% driving 50% tumbling out of control, lol.    Good thing I can synthesize SRV repairs on the fly.
  • DrakkieDrakkie Posts: 84
    Hiro Protagonist
    Commander Drak Blackstar here. 

I usually play in Mobius, a (huge) private group for PVE.
    I am based at HR-571 (not really an interesting name for a home system).
    I fly around with either my ASP Explorer, carrying rich passengers, or with my Imperial Clipper hauling cargo.

Working up to the Imperial Cutter at the moment, just 82% empire rank to go (and a bit of cash to outfit the ship properly).
  • Jokergod2000Jokergod2000 Posts: 285
    Nexus 6
    You can still shoot the aliens before they jump but they do not take damage. If you crash into them (with a fast ship) you die in the impact.

I use all overcharged multicannons but my huge hardpoint uses incendiary rounds for 100% thermal damage. My small hardpoints use corrosive rounds to soften the hull. Before the recent update I was doing over 200 DPS (177 Now). Small ships rated less than deadly last under 2 seconds from full shields to no hull.

I never plot only scoopable unless I have a very small tank but if I run low on gas I check my next jump and manually plot a fuel stop so I don't run out. That being said, in a 15 jump run I doubt it would add more than 1 jump to plot only scoopable stars; there are a lot of them.

I'm mostly working on CQC ranking now but my Oculus has been gone for a few weeks due to an audio issue. It's ready for pickup now so I'm gonna play the hell out of it tonight! :) (God I hope there is nothing wrong with it)
    By the way, any of you guys been down by the Maia and Merope systems, in the Pleiades sector?

I encountered a specific Pleiades system (I forget the exact letters and numbers, but I have it bookmarked in-game), which at first didn't seem special in any way... but then I noticed that my discovery scanner was working at a fraction of its normal range, and my surface scanner wasn't working at all, I was nearly into Orbital Cruise distance of the planets, facing them, and still could not initiate a surface scan. The system's star was the only exception.   There was also a very hostile Imperial Dreadnought that immediately destroyed a friendly commander I had just met and was traveling with, without provocation. He reported this hostility as curious, because his relations with the Empire were neutral, but certainly not hostile.   I... decided not to check the dreadnought out for myself.

Seems like quite the tantalizing mystery; I've got some personal business back in more civilized space, but I'm eager to return there and poke around a bit more.  Maybe land on one of those planets I couldn't scan and see if I find anything unusual.

If anyone else is interested, I'll copy down the exact name of the system next time I'm playing, and share it here.  Just, y'know.. watch out for that Dreadnought. And pirates. Lawless space and all that.
    That sounds very intriguing, I wouldn't mind that system name. :)
    I don't think I'll take my Python there though, maybe a cheaper to replace ship.

Hiro Protagonist
    Same here, it sounds intriguing!
    edited January 20
    Okay, looks like the system is: PLEIADES SECTOR AB-W B2-4

Taking another look at the system map, looks like it has 4 planets, 3 of which can be landed on... and surprisingly enough, it looks like one of them actually has a settlement with most if not all station services available.

I just acquired some very nice equipment mods from Felicity Farseer that should make the trip over there easier for me the second time (noteably, I increased my jump distance from about ~17 to ~25, and that's with a bunch of armor and weapons on-board.)   Also, I decided to invest a cool million in upgrading my scanner from Intermediate to Advanced.  That should come in handy, eh?

Anyone who wants to tag along when I head down there and help me explore is welcome to.

P.S.    According to a quick google search, apparently there's a known alien crash site somewhere in that system.  Maybe that's what the Imperial Dreadnought was guarding?  Don't know if there's anything to be gained by visiting it, but it should make for good sightseeing, eh?
    Hiro Protagonist
    Cool, I can jump there without refueling.. If I make 76 jumps :D I'll take the less economical routes and scoop a bit, I guess :)

By the way, is it possible to plan routes over 1000 ly? Because lots of my passengers want to go to places about 1300-1500 ly away, and I can't be sure I can get there (although with a jump distance of 26ly, I think I could get to most places).
    Drakkie said:
    By the way, is it possible to plan routes over 1000 ly? Because lots of my passengers want to go to places about 1300-1500 ly away, and I can't be sure I can get there (although with a jump distance of 26ly, I think I could get to most places).
    Not sure about the planning, but.. what's the likelihood of getting stuck in a cluster of unscoopables?  As long as you keep topping the tank off, I should think you'd have the chance to refuel at least every few jumps, right?  If there are sectors of space where hardly any of the stars can be scooped, that's news to me.

And dang, passengers want you to take them THAT far?  I hope they're paying millions for a trip like that.
    I've entered the sector in my Asp Explorer. Let's see if anything freaky happens...
    :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    My previous comment is being Moderated (probably sounds like a gold selling ad ;). But yes, I've seen passenger contracts to the center of the galaxy, and even further (30 thousand light year +).
    kojack said:
    I've entered the sector in my Asp Explorer. Let's see if anything freaky happens...
    :)
    looking for Thargolds?

i did over 150 jumps from maia over about 3 days and around in our private group, nothing

4 jumps solo, yes!!!

the wait was so worth it, i wish i took my asp also but the inters kills me so i was in my BananaConda in vr it was worth the cost of cv1 alone
    Well, that didn't go so well.
    First, I ended up stopping one jump early, I was exploring the wrong system. :)

I went to the correct one and looked at the first two planets. For some reason Elite had wiped all of my driving controls, I had to reconfigure everything. I drove around the first world a bit, nothing interesting. Second world was unlandable. I looked online, apparently pleiades sector ab-w b2-4 was the first found location of alien wreckage, on planet 9-A. So I flew there.

There was a base on the planet. As I approached, I saw a strange looking object floating nearby. When I got closer, I was able to lock on, it was an imperial dreadnought.
    The base radioed me to say I was welcome. All the nearby ships and the dreadnought showed up as friendly. Ok, seems safe...

An imperial clipper came over and scanned me. It told me I was in big trouble for tresspassing. Oh crap! I hit boost and pushed the throttle. About 5 second later my Asp was a thousand pieces raining down on the planet.
    A million credits later and I've respawned 6 jumps away.
    Carrying something naughty or in the power play??
    Nope. Empty hold, never touched powerplay and I'm friendly with the empire.

Hiro Protagonist
    CrashFu said:
    And dang, passengers want you to take them THAT far?  I hope they're paying millions for a trip like that.
    Because my old post isn't appearing: you can get about 6 million for a sightseeing trip of around 200ly distance, up to about 1 million for a one-way trip of about 40ly, and (only) 30 million for a trip of 20.000ly to the center of the galaxy.
  • TraprockTraprock Posts: 126
    Art3mis
    Commander Ripthruster in Elite.  Please add and I will do the same.  Current home base is in George Lucas Station.  Currently flying a Python Vulture.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Well, generally it's not quite so lucrative to take them really far. Got a first-class cabin in my ASP Explorer (in the largest available slot), and I can sometimes get passengers who want to do sightseeing (2 or 3 destinations, all within about 100ly of eachother) for about 6 million. 

Then you have the guys who want to go to the black hole at the center (of the milkyway), +- 20000ly, and they only pay 30 million. But the upshot of going that far (and back, by the way, in case of sightseeing tours) is that your explorer rating is enormously boosted at the end.

And there's always the 'transport' contract that, if you're lucky, will net you near 1 million for going maybe 2 jumps.

Passengering people around is very lucrative. Got the cash I invested in my ASP explorer (about 26 million) back in a couple of hours.

The problem I have with the long journeys is that there are regions of space about 1000ly out where the stars are not very densely packed, so you may (not sure) need to be able to jump more than 26ly in one jump to get to the next star en-route.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Well, generally it's not quite so lucrative to take them really far. Got a first-class cabin in my ASP Explorer (in the largest available slot), and I can sometimes get passengers who want to do sightseeing (2 or 3 destinations, all within about 100ly of eachother) for about 6 million. 

Then you have the guys who want to go to the black hole at the center (of the milkyway), +- 20000ly, and they only pay 30 million. But the upshot of going that far (and back, by the way, in case of sightseeing tours) is that your explorer rating is enormously boosted at the end.

And there's always the 'transport' contract that, if you're lucky, will net you near 1 million for going maybe 2 jumps.

Passengering people around is very lucrative. Got the cash I invested in my ASP explorer (about 26 million) back in a couple of hours.

The problem I have with the long journeys is that there are regions of space about 1000ly out where the stars are not very densely packed, so you may (not sure) need to be able to jump more than 26ly in one jump to get to the next star en-route.
    Drakkie said:
    CrashFu said:
    Because my old post isn't appearing: you can get about 6 million for a sightseeing trip of around 200ly distance, up to about 1 million for a one-way trip of about 40ly, and (only) 30 million for a trip of 20.000ly to the center of the galaxy.
    The spam filter caught it. You're verified now so it won't happen again.

Drakkie said:

There's a danger that you can get stuck. Not the usual "I'm out of fuel", that's easy (call the fuel rats). The more serious one is if you use the crafting system to make jump boosts. You could jump into a system that has no adjacent stars within your normal range, and you run out of crafting items to make another boost. Those crafting items can't be transferred between ships or dropped in space to be scooped, you need to mine them. If the system doesn't have the right kind of bodies, you have no choice but to crash and respawn.

Apparently HIP 17862 (planet 6c-a) is the second crash site and might not have a base nearby with restricted airspace.
    (Yeah, this is from months ago, but I took a break for a while)