cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone explain my weird screendoor effect?

Bigtime88
Protege
Basically, if I look at a 'background' image texture through my rift I get quite a noticeable screen door effect, which I understand is just having our eyes really close to an LCD, so you see the individual pixels.
What I don't understand is if I then move my head physically towards that object within the game the screen door effect disappears and the same graphics texture slowly becomes perfectly smooth and lovely as if some kind of anti-aliasing is filling the gaps between the pixels.
Setting SS to 2.0 doesn't make any difference to this particular issue, and with my slightly overclocked 1070 I usually whack the details up, including AA.
I am near and slightly short sighted but use contact lenses for distance but the optics focal point isn't changing as the image itself is getting closer/larger.

Anyone please explain
5 REPLIES 5

Bigtime88
Protege
Good example is Luckys Tale start screen where he's kicking the blue ball about. As the ball gets closer the screen door over the ball texture disappears to almost zero as I look right on top of it, as it moves away the pixels really divide. Close up it looks great

cybereality
Grand Champion
It's because the pixel elements are a fixed size but the 3D object can get bigger or smaller depending on how far away it is. Something smaller or in the background will have more of the screendoor effect as the amount of total pixels covering the object is low, meaning the spacing between the pixels is more pronounced in relation to the detail of the object. When you are close to the same object, there are much more pixels contributing to the look of the object, as you see more detail in the texture, etc. so the screendoor becomes less noticeable.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
Can you grab a video of it?

Bigtime88
Protege
Thanks for the explanation cybereality.

No need for video, if it's normal just move your head back and forth towards an object

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Bigtime88 said:

No need for video, if it's normal just move your head back and forth towards an object

Hah, I thought, "Is he just seeing the object cover fewer pixels as it gets smaller?  Naahh, that would be too obvious." 🙂