/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

SouthernGFX Sketchbook

southerngfxsoutherngfx Posts: 83
Hiro Protagonist
edited February 4 in Oculus Medium
A couple of weeks in now and I'm loving working with Medium. Lots of things I want added but to be honest I'm happy enough learning what's there for now.  We've had stuff out and got it into ZBrush with good success. We've managed to get stuff into Mesh Labs, fix it, UV it and get it into ZBrush ready for colour printing on a J750 but nothing amazing to show there yet.

--

--

Oculus Medium Sculpting - Tethered Amalgam by Glen Southern from SouthernGFX on Vimeo.

Oculus Medium Sculpting - Ginger Troll by Glen Southern from SouthernGFX on Vimeo.

Oculus Medium Ginger Troll test printed on a Form2

--

Oculus Medium Sculpting - Voltaic Construct by Glen Southern from SouthernGFX on Vimeo.

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 2,471 Valuable Player
    This is a troll thread...

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • southerngfxsoutherngfx Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Troll as in big green thing?
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 899 Poster of the Week
    Dude! You guys are godlike. That first one, how much system RAM on the guy's rig? 
    Hiro Protagonist
    One thing I'm struggling with is getting good turntables out. I'm ok with the internal camera and taking stills but I can't see a way to get a stable turntable. The ones I've done I've ended up quickly stabilising in AE.   The ability to take high res internal photos is great now I've see that there's an option for field-of-view. My first few were super wide angle shots.
    Hiro Protagonist
    We've only got one machine with a decent 10 series card here and that's got 32 gig in it. I've not really struggled with any models yet and the highest I've got out and opened in Meshlabs is 30million. I struggled to clean or down res that but I'm still only just scratching the surface with that workflow.

Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 26
    Still trying to get video links to work. Hopefully I'm good now. 

Thanks. I'm on 16gig just now was thinking about upgrading but wasn't sure if 32 would make a difference. You just answered that question for me. Couple of new sticks just moved right up the agenda.

And, yeah, your link is fine now. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Cheers. I think my first videos were linked incorrectly which might explain the troll comment. All sorted now it seems :0   
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 22,019 Oculus Staff
    Those are amazing!!!
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,198 Power Poster
    Cheers. I think my first videos were linked incorrectly which might explain the troll comment. All sorted now it seems :0   
    I think the troll comment was in reference to the ginger-haired subject matter of one of your sculpts.  ;)
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 212 Oculus Staff
    Great stuff, really nice use of the lighting and emissives in that last one. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks for the comments. I've been using and teaching ZBrush since 1999 and I have to say I haven't had the same feeling about a piece of modelling software since then. The potential is just mind blowing for me. It also helps that this is one of the only VR programs that doesn't make me violently sick lol. 
  • ozelonozelon Posts: 33
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Very cool! I'm surprised that you didn't run into any RAM related issues. Those scenes look crazy dense and my latest wouldn't even take in Medium photos anymore. It would just crash. Tried to import into Zbrush and ZBrush complained about too high of a polycount. I have 32GB as well. I had to reduce complexity to be able to take photos and export it...

Does meshlab have a decimation tool? I just used it to convert files so far.
    ozelon said:
    Does meshlab have a decimation tool? I just used it to convert files so far.
    Yes it does - [Filters > Remeshing, simplification and construction > Quadratic Edge Collapse Detection]

https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/polygon_reduction_with_meshlab

Hiro Protagonist
    A quick turntable video of my Exoskeleton sculpt.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,342 Valuable Player
    edited January 27
    Holy shit man those are amazing! You've blown me away!

@southerngfx The last week I've been experimenting with Medium -> Maya and the UV's have been a nightmare since the mesh is so big, any advice on UV'ing?
    I'm not used to working with massive meshes like this so I'm trying to create the UV's to then create a normal map to preserve the details. While typing this I'm thinking I might be able to reduce the poly count -> create UV's -> create normal mesh using the UV's on the lower poly mesh... think I need to mess around some more!

Cheers!
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,198 Power Poster
    edited January 27
    FrozenPea said:
    While typing this I'm thinking I might be able to reduce the poly count -> create UV's -> create normal mesh using the UV's on the lower poly mesh... think I need to mess around some more!
    I think you're on the right track with that thought... I spent some time in the past playing with high and low poly versions of game characters, and that was how I did it--the UV map was on the low poly model, and it was used to project a normal map from the high-poly model onto the low-poly version. Now, this was back in 2004/5 when normal maps were just becoming a thing (I was modding characters into Doom 3 at the time). The work flow may have changed a little since then, but I think the principle probably still holds.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm still very new with medium and the insanely large meshes don't play well in Mesh Labs for me.  What I've been doing so far is (sorry for the long boring bits and I'm doing a video of my workflow to date..)

1. Make a model in Medium and be really sure there are no internal spaces. When making a head for example I try to fill the volume and pair it back and then detail it. Spaces internal make handwork for repairing.

2. Export the model with colour. That's the .OBJ with vertex colour.

3. Into mesh labs. Weld the bad verts (cleaning and repair>Merge Close Verts)

4. Down res the poly count. (Ramesh,simplification, Reconstruction>Quadric Edge Collapse with texture). Use a % between 0 and .9 (.5 is half the poly count for example)

5. Create basic UV's co-ords. (Filter>Texture>Parametrisation: Per Trivial Per- Triangle)
    These are no use other than to carry the Vert colour onto a UV 0-1 space ie. a texture map that we can used in ZBrush or other such program.

6. Export the vertex colours to texture (Filter>Texture>Transfer Vertex Attributes to Texture.)  Thats save a PNG in your models folder. So you now have an lower res .OBJ with UV's (bad ones) and a Texture map.

7. Import model into ZBrush. Import Texture into ZBrush flipping it in V as thats just ZBrush.  

8. Copy the Texture map to Polypaint (ZBrush's own Vert colour system).

9. Duplicate the Subtool. Use Fresher to make a lower poly version

10. UV Unwrap this new model  however you prefer. Make a new Texture at 4096x4096. Subdivide it as needed. Use projection to capture Polypaint and sculpt detail. Use Polypaint to Texture to grab the Vert Colour info onto your new Texture map.

Not an easy path but very do-able step by step. I'm doing a video of a very very simple mesh passing through this process.

BUT...If you aren't bothered about colour it is super easy. Import the .OBJ straight into ZBrush.

1. Possibly Dynamesh it at a high level to fix issues. Use check Mesh and Fix mesh if needed. 

2. Decimate it with decimation master if needed. Check mesh and Fix mesh again if needed.

3. Export as an .STL and print.

again, I'll post a video of just that bit. It's great seeing how everyone else is doing these sort of processes.

• ozelonozelon Posts: 33
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Thanks a lot for the meshlab steps. That will save me a lot of time.
    I'm considering using the colour as a clown pass/colour ID for substance painter.

Did you by any chance do any of this:
    I have been thinking about a good workflow of minimising coloring time. I wonder if it makes sense to to paint with a "colored" claybrush to cut down on time required for painting later.

or:
    Also splitting a mesh into layers for different material setting. I haven't tried that yet. I seems pretty obvious but in practice it may be a lot harder as cutting a mesh for material properties may require lots of complicated cuts. Maybe if one is diligent enough about using different layers in first place it may be possible?

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,342 Valuable Player
    Thanks @nalex66 yeah it's still pretty much the same :)

@southerngfx Problem is I don't have Zbrush :P , but thanks for the explanation it is still really helpful! I think I should be able to replicate a lot of the steps using other pieces of software! :)

Also splitting a mesh into layers for different material setting.
    @ozelon I found this by far the easiest way to do it if you are only using materials, texturing is where the problems come from :) But yeah you have to think about this from the beginning of the sculpt, so I add a new layer for every new material I would like to use.

Then I can quickly import it into Maya and slap some materials on it straight away:

Bonus image of just throwing some basic materials on the model although the eyes were done with Maya, just basic spheres with texture on it nothing fancy but it just show what you can do if you layer in medium! 

edited January 27
    If you're not bothered about game-ready assets. I've had not bad results exporting from meshalbs in caldera, straight into blender, plugging the vertex colours into cycles and knocking up some PBR's. Even thought about repainting mono in Medium for  texture blending and specular and whatnot then dragging those over to blender too but not sure how the coordinates system would hold up. Seems a bit twitchy.

Dunno if substance painter and zbrush and the like work on vertex colours maybe still need UV's

• OakshiosOakshios Posts: 10
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Please upload these to your Medium Gallery!  I want to see them up close.

GODLIKE!!! Photoshop? 
    Hiro Protagonist
    No photoshop at all. I did the paintover in procreate on an iPad Pro. Tweaked the colours with Snapseed.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,494
    Neo
    amazing work
    But it could buy me a boat
    It could buy me a truck to pull it
    It could buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets
    Cool, should have said Chop or equivalent. I meant it hadn't been through a renderer is all. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    P3nT4gR4m: sure. No renderer just a screen shot from the internal camera but I set it up in portrait mode to give me more res. And then ipadery :)
    What an idiot I am - Portrait mode! Of course. You are a legend!