cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB extension cables that work?!

Ricktor_Black
Adventurer
I've ordered some USB 3 cables which were supposed to be good quality from Monoprice but that thing just didn't work at all.  My sensor was throwing errors constantly and never worked right.  Then I got another USB 3.0 10 foot extension from Amazon because that had good rating etc.  That one worked for a bit, but every once in a while I get the same thing, it starts giving "catastrophic failure" errors and stops working.  

I order to get this sensor in a good position behind me, I need a good cable to get over there.  What are you guys using and where did you get it?  I'm basically haven't used my Rift in many weeks now because I hate dealing with this stuff every time I put it on.
9 REPLIES 9

Ernimus_Prime
Heroic Explorer
I think the cable length is your problem.  I just saw a youtube video that a dude used an USB 3 cable extension that was powered. Here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JulB0E-9SPQ
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3600 MHZ. SSD XPG 8200 pro 1 TB. WD Black 4 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. MSI VENTUS 3 RTX 3080 OC, Primary: MSI MAG274QRF-QD 2nd monitor: Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. Corsair rm750x PSU. Rift S.

zork2001
Heroic Explorer

I have not tried myself but the CompTIA A+ answer is that a USB cable can't be any longer than 16 feet.

elboffor
Consultant
Ugreen active extentions off amazon.
Not the cheapest but very high quality. Ive got a 10m one with no issues
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Ricktor_Black
Adventurer
Thanks guys, I'll take a look.  My current solution is not working.

Ernimus_Prime
Heroic Explorer

Thanks guys, I'll take a look.  My current solution is not working.Let us know how you make out. 

Let us know how you make out. 

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3600 MHZ. SSD XPG 8200 pro 1 TB. WD Black 4 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. MSI VENTUS 3 RTX 3080 OC, Primary: MSI MAG274QRF-QD 2nd monitor: Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. Corsair rm750x PSU. Rift S.

Ricktor_Black
Adventurer
Well, that was a big fat fail.  Fail in a major way.  So I ordered that Ugreen powered 3.0 extender cable.  I plugged it in and everything looked good for a bit... then I tried to do the Oculus setup and when it detects the sensors one was showing up OK, the other was OK for a bit... then it went to "poor USB connection"... then "ok"... then "poor tracking quality".  It was all over the place.  I tried a bunch of different things with no dice.  I then randomly tried the one USB 3.1 port I have on my PC for the hell of it... it actually showed up as "ok" for a good long time and I actually did the config that way.  Then some weird stuff happened and I had to reboot.  Windows then failed and no recovery option worked.  Somehow my entire C drive was just completely wiped out (no data).  I had to re-install Windows from scratch.  So now I'm on my third extension cable and it's not working.  I purposely bought one of the best motherboards and all the components I could when I built this PC JUST FOR THE RIFT... not working.  I'm really bummed out.  I don' really have a great setup for the two sensors in the front.. I was really hoping for experiminental 360 with one in front and a second behind me.  I was going to buy a 3rd sensor... but I can't even get the second to work.  How do other people do this?  The cables aren't even long enough for the recommended distance.... how are people doing three sensors?

Sucks.  I haven't really used my Rift in months now because of this.  Things were better before touch, I used it every day.  But I love the controllers so much when they work, I can't go back to a controller.

falken76
Expert Consultant
Do you have USB 2.0?  If so try hooking it up to that port.

Ricktor_Black
Adventurer
You know what?  You are my favorite person in the world today!  That actually seemed to do the job.  I do get a weird kind of glitchy hitch every few minutes which is annoying, but at least it is working right now.  I'm not getting "catastrophic errors" anymore.  If this continues to work this way I might just order the third sensor and see how it goes.  Thank you very much.

Is it going to be a problem with games and apps if I'm only on a 2.0 port?

Veraxus
Protege
I'm currently using the 9.8ft Amazon Basics USB 3.0 cables for 2 cameras, and a Ugreen USB3 Active Repeater Extension cable (15ft) for the 3rd. Everything works flawlessly for me (everything plugged into USB3 ports on my ASRock Z87E-ITX motherboard).
My PC: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-I | Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.8Ghz | 32GB RAM | MSI Ventus 3X GeForce 3090 | Samsung 840 EVO 2TB SSD X2 | Windows 11 x64