New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Fix temporarily Oculus 1.11 tracking problem (UPDATED 08/02/2017)

AlehandoroVRAlehandoroVR Posts: 31
Brain Burst
edited February 8 in Support
**NEW UPDATE IN POST 16
THIS SOLUTION IS TEMPORARY AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE SOLUTION OF THE PROBLEM OR THE IMPROVEMENT OF THE TRACKING

This is the most disastrous way to solve the tracking problem that has been caused by the Oculus Home update 1.11.

It is a very sloppy way to solve it. I was an OSVR user and I had to take the same solution to improve the tracking until I was able to update the firmware of the LED controller.

To put everything in situ this was my problem:

And now this is how it works:

There has been no change of software, nor of position, everything is exactly the same with the same hardware, same cables and same installation of windows / software.

I have not been able to check if it also solves the height problem since I'm doing the tracking tests right now, but for now I've only been able to solve the problem with the Right Touch, but fixing it on the left would not take more than 5 minutes.
As I point out this is a temporary solution until Oculus releases a real solution to our problem.

This problem also appeared in OSVR from the beginning, and was due to a problem in the "blinking" or synchronization of the LEDs that caused jumps to spoil the whole experience.

At the time the publication of the firmware that solved the problem in OSVR consisted in a rewriting of the code of synchronization and the shutdown of certain LEDs of the HMD to facilitate its vision by part of the sensor.

I discovered (it is on reddit in case you want to look for it https://www.reddit.com/r/OSVR/comments/501ta6/osvr_hdk_tracking_demonstration_pre_post_ir_board/ ) that plugging those infrared leds with black tape would get practically the same effect as updating the firmware.

And indeed, the same solution I adopted at OSVR has come back to work here until Oculus solves the problem via software.

Sorry for my English.

Comments

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 671
    Neo
    Really interesting Reddit post explaining the OSVR leds problem, and effectively could be the same issue here, thanks for posting!

Saying that, that's a really weird way to solve the problem temporally but if it improve tracking, why not? Duct tape can do Magic stuffs ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

• jamolo3jamolo3 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Thank you, i hope this helps oculus staff to improve the tracking issues 
  • BobpiesBobpies Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    how you know which leds to blank off?
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,302 Valuable Player
    edited February 6
    @Alehandoro, you sir are a legend and I salute you.

Please release more in depth images of what you have blocked out and how we can all get to testing for you.

Out of interest, is blocking the leds on the headset strictly necesary?

Edit;
    The handover between your front and rear cameras looks violent! It may be because of how smooth the rest of the tracking is.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • LukimatorLukimator Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    elboffor said:
    @Alehandoro, you sir are a legend and I salute you.

Please release more in depth images of what you have blocked out and how we can all get to testing for you.

Out of interest, is blocking the leds on the headset strictly necesary?

Edit;
    The handover between your front and rear cameras looks violent! It may be because of how smooth the rest of the tracking is.
    I believe blocking the headset leds is what avoids the height glitch, as it's probably caused by confusion between the cameras when they can see it rotating. Maybe blocking the back ones would work
  • AlehandoroVRAlehandoroVR Posts: 31
    Brain Burst

This is a temporary solution to my case.

I do not know if it will solve other problems, but for me it is much better than to be watching as my hands constantly jump. Right now there is some leap, but I think I'm plugging incorrect (or insufficient) leds I do not know.

The jumps that were produced only with the sensor no longer gives, and that for me is something important because it made me unplayable.

If the control LEDs are not plugged, the sensors jump is still produced, but in the Touch it is more complicated to "hit" with the LEDs that need to be plugged. In some cases, I have covered the one that is not and my command has become two.

All this seems to be the same problem that had OSVR and was a problem of Leds synchronization, in OSVR was solved updating the firmware of the controller of infrared leds, in Oculus I have no idea ...

So that the HMD does not produce jumps in the sensors, block these leds:

Brain Burst
    If you also block some upper and lateral LEDs, You will not have problems when you turn.

• DibelabbesDibelabbes Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    Holly shit Oculus... Why are they even using the headset to determine if the sensors moved? Shouldn't the sensors be used as a fixed stationary point?
    Brain Burst

Example working fix in Touch

Before:

After:

Example working fix in HMD

Before: 

After:

And there are my blocked LEDs in Touchs:

• matskatsabamatskatsaba Posts: 259
    Art3mis
    Wow. Works like a charm. Thanks!
  • FlakMagnetFlakMagnet Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    Alehandoro What's the application you're using that shows the sensor placement and field of view? The one with the desk and lamp.

Something like this would be really useful in the sensor setup of OH. I know we have the 2D view of where your sensors are placed and where they overlap, but a VR view of the sensor 'cones' and where they overlap would be really helpful!

Brain Burst
    Alehandoro What's the application you're using that shows the sensor placement and field of view? The one with the desk and lamp.

Something like this would be really useful in the sensor setup of OH. I know we have the 2D view of where your sensors are placed and where they overlap, but a VR view of the sensor 'cones' and where they overlap would be really helpful!

The app is DeskScene ;)
    Brain Burst
    edited February 7
    NEW UPDATE:

Blocking these LEDs only in the CV1 and leaving all free in the Touch with this tracking.

On both sides same LEDs:

• will84will84 Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 7
    @Alehandoro

Great work sir  :)

do you think the leds you have taped over are not blinking at the right frequency & a firmware update could possibly fix?

Or possibly the led's you have taped over are faulty in some way? Other people may have the fault in other position's on their headset. I am having more severe problems than your facing, before the update I had problems the update made it worse.
    Brain Burst
    @will84 I did not have this problem in version 1.10, so yes, it is a software problem.

I do not know if they fix it soon, I guess in the next Update we should not have this problem anymore.

Takes 5 minutes to lock the LEDs, try to see if it works. But then you make it normal again. And tell me.
  • will84will84 Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    @Alehandoro

I had the problem with 1.10 any idea why? the 1.11 made it worse. Do you know what would be the problem in my specific case.

I have already ruled out setup of sensor, usb etc. Have no tape to try, but well done for your ingenuity.

thanks

• DibelabbesDibelabbes Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    NEW UPDATE:

Blocking these LEDs only in the CV1 and leaving all free in the Touch with this tracking.

On both sides same LEDs:

Wow, that looks very promising, will try that tomorrow.
  • TickTockTickTock Posts: 173
    Art3mis
    I had my doubts about this but thought it was easy enough to try (and harmless since I used gaffers tape).  Didn't work for me.  Made the Oculus Home bile inducing and my hands were about 20 feet behind me.  I then reset the sensor tracking and tried to rerun setup but couldn't make it through until I removed the tape.  Too bad - would have been nice to have a stop-gap solution.
    Brain Burst
    @TickTock I'm sorry it did not work for you.

This really is a botched job, because in the end that you are using the IMUs and forcing the positioning based on errors of readings in the LEDs. It may not work for everyone, but certainly the solution really depends on Oculus.
  • JesseDeyaJesseDeya Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    Your move Oculus.

If you want Vive and every other competitor laughing at you because Rift users are having to band-aid your devices to make up for your tracking software inadequacies, just continue to say nothing as you've done for the past several days.

FWIW: I was lucky and my tracking improved with 1.11, but clearly others haven't been so fortunate. If it comes down to a synchronisation mismatch between LEDs and the software then it seems ridiculous that it has taken this long to issue a fix.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 1,891 Poster of the Week
    JesseDeya said:
    Your move Oculus.

If you want Vive and every other competitor laughing at you because Rift users are having to band-aid your devices to make up for your tracking software inadequacies, just continue to say nothing as you've done for the past several days.

FWIW: I was lucky and my tracking improved with 1.11, but clearly others haven't been so fortunate. If it comes down to a synchronisation mismatch between LEDs and the software then it seems ridiculous that it has taken this long to issue a fix.
    ............ Your move JesseDeya -- soo annoying of a post..

They are working on a patch/fix - it's not like they're sitting idle - they know there is a problem. It's not like fixing a car - there is no A + B = C. There is A + B + abcdefgijklmopqrstuvwxyz = C xD
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 299
    Nexus 6
    edited February 8
    Just read this thread, this doesn't sound good. Sounds quite frustrating for you guys. So basically they updated the rift and broke it with firmware? You guys can no longer use your rifts?

Has that effected everybody?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,312 Power Poster
    edited February 8
    It seems to mainly have gotten worse for four-sensor setups (which right now are not recommended by Oculus).

According to Nate Mitchell on Reddit, the update has overall improved tracking for most people.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • hoochyukhoochyuk Posts: 330 Poster of the Week
    I've gone back to 3 sensors as 4 works awesome but resetting oculus was getting annoying.but I've noticed great improvements on 3 sensor coverage  since last time I tried 3
  • JesseDeyaJesseDeya Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    Mradr said:
    JesseDeya said:
    Your move Oculus.

They are working on a patch/fix - it's not like they're sitting idle - they know there is a problem. It's not like fixing a car - there is no A + B = C. There is A + B + abcdefgijklmopqrstuvwxyz = C xD
    Take your apologist rhetoric somewhere else, I'm not here to placate you or anyone else - this is a support forum for a product that still has problems, and until they are fixed I (and many others) will continue to express our dissatisfaction. 

As as for your claims, I call BS.

- Show me the official Oculus response that acknowledges they still have a problem.
    - Show me any evidence the Feb patch is targetted at tracking problems.
    - Explain to me why a user (the OP) can identify and communicate the tracking problem better than the company that made the thing.

The January 1.11 patch notes say, and I quote:
    • Fixed calibration issues for multi-sensor configurations and Guardian System setup.
    • Fixed tracking issues with Touch controllers that resulted in tracking judder or loss of hand location or hand orientation in VR.
    • Fixed sensor issue which prevented Touch controllers from being detected.
    • Fixed stability issues with floor height in VR.

Those things have demonstrably not been fixed (in all cases) and in fact people who didn't have problems before, now do. Being patient is fine, in moderation, but if the Feb patch does manage to fix these issues, it'll be ~3 months that Touch has been broken in some form or another. You're ok with that are you?

My setup appears to be working, for now, but for all I know 1.12 could break it again, or ordering a 3rd sensor might break it. I'm not seeing a lot of confidence from the Oculus team being projected here, and their lack of clear communication on the issue is the most egregious issue, but so easy to address.  

Don't even get me started on the fact that from the patch notes it seems any multi sensor setups now seem to be referred to as experimental roomscale, even though 2 sensor standing configurations (not experimental) are still exhibiting problems for many people.
  • MaxitoMaxito Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    JesseDeya said:
    Mradr said:
    JesseDeya said:
    Your move Oculus.

Take your apologist rhetoric somewhere else, I'm not here to placate you or anyone else - this is a support forum for a product that still has problems, and until they are fixed I (and many others) will continue to express our dissatisfaction. 

As as for your claims, I call BS.

- Show me the official Oculus response that acknowledges they still have a problem.
    - Show me any evidence the Feb patch is targetted at tracking problems.
    - Explain to me why a user (the OP) can identify and communicate the tracking problem better than the company that made the thing.

The January 1.11 patch notes say, and I quote:
    • Fixed calibration issues for multi-sensor configurations and Guardian System setup.
    • Fixed tracking issues with Touch controllers that resulted in tracking judder or loss of hand location or hand orientation in VR.
    • Fixed sensor issue which prevented Touch controllers from being detected.
    • Fixed stability issues with floor height in VR.

Those things have demonstrably not been fixed (in all cases) and in fact people who didn't have problems before, now do. Being patient is fine, in moderation, but if the Feb patch does manage to fix these issues, it'll be ~3 months that Touch has been broken in some form or another. You're ok with that are you?

My setup appears to be working, for now, but for all I know 1.12 could break it again, or ordering a 3rd sensor might break it. I'm not seeing a lot of confidence from the Oculus team being projected here, and their lack of clear communication on the issue is the most egregious issue, but so easy to address.  

Don't even get me started on the fact that from the patch notes it seems any multi sensor setups now seem to be referred to as experimental roomscale, even though 2 sensor standing configurations (not experimental) are still exhibiting problems for many people.
    I completely agree. I have not seen any official response from Oculus indicating they are " working on a patch/fix". When i submitted a support ticket explaining this patch had broken a number of things the rep copy pasted some standard troubleshooting steps and after I replied telling them it was not helpful they just asked me to list what steps I had taken in order to attempt to fix this issue..... like I was the one that broke the software. Really terrible job addressing the community. This is a consumer grade product and we should not be beta testing broken software.
  • FadeeawayFadeeaway Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    @cybereality Could you update us with what's happening over at Oculus regarding all these issues. 1.11 sadly didn't solve any issues for me but introduced a height glitch, making me longer and longer while in VR, I must manually reset the height in setup.

The lack of official Oculus responses on this "support"-board is not ok, and I hope you are talking with your superiors regarding this.