/ Forums
New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Arizona Sunshine

SkullsdirectSkullsdirect Posts: 7
Virtual Boy (or Girl)
Have to say this is my favourite VR experience so far.  Very immersive and great fun.  At times quite a scary experince with zombies that seem right in front of you!  Panic inducing when they rush and you have forgotten to reload.  Not many online players but a very enjoyable FPS experience.  Don't know his well this will translate to PSVR though as the Rift Touch controllers just feel so intuative and real.  8/10 and runs very well on a 980ti i7 setup.

Comments

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 616 Poster of the Week
    Yes i agree great title;

first time i turned around to find a zombie in my face i screamed
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • VathesVathes Posts: 18
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)

I agree too, definitely one of my faves.

I felt very immersed and found my self panicking quite a few times.  Travelling through the mine actually made me feel cold and very on-edge and it was at this point my wife thought it would be funny to grab my leg.  It scared the hell out of me and I'm pretty sure a little poop may have came out.  Its funny that I actually felt relief to finally see daylight again.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,091
    Neo
    Yep bit the zombie bullet last nightand bought it, played it 2 hours straight, brilliant. The free locomotion works very well.
  • DuffvaderDuffvader Posts: 36
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    Yeah, it's a really good game. It took me a week to complete this game. Playtime for my first play through was about 4 hours. The horde mode is funny too. My favourite VR game so far.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 756 Poster of the Week
    I'm trying to get into this one, I really am. But I'm having a hard time of it.  It reminds me of Obduction with zombies.  I can forgive the somewhat mediocre graphics, but the aim control is really wonky.  It's frustrating to line up the sights for a head shot, only for the bullets to hit other areas of the body.  That seems to be artificial handicapping of the player's skill.  I'll give it a few more chances, but right now I'm pretty disappointed.  
    Currently playing: Witcher 3 & DOOM | Gear: Liquid cooled MSI Z170A PC Mate | Intel i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 SDRAM 3000 Mhz | GeForce GTX 1080, Acer Predator XB241H G-Sync, Rift/Touch/3 cams.
  • HeVeNyHeVeNy Posts: 31
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    kevink808 said:
    I'm trying to get into this one, I really am. But I'm having a hard time of it.  It reminds me of Obduction with zombies.  I can forgive the somewhat mediocre graphics, but the aim control is really wonky.  It's frustrating to line up the sights for a head shot, only for the bullets to hit other areas of the body.  That seems to be artificial handicapping of the player's skill.  I'll give it a few more chances, but right now I'm pretty disappointed.  
    Actually I had the same problem starting the game. I could not hit for shit and kept dying. But really it is only bad aiming. I thought that "hey this is game, of course it's gonna give me some slack if I shoot in the general head direction".

But no, you really have to aim the weapon as it would be a real one. Now I love the game! I have shot handguns in the army and if the aiming thingyes (don't know the english word for them) is not in the right spot the shot will land way of the target you we going for. 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 2,275 Valuable Player
    edited February 14
    I've noticed the same--you really have to careful about lining up the front and rear iron sights, otherwise you'll be shooting too low or too high. Maybe it's just that the gun barrel angle to the handle doesn't quite match expectations, or maybe the shooting mechanics are just less forgiving than other games. It does seem to be realistic, though--wild-firing with a pistol is not easy to do accurately. If I miss, I check my sights and usually realize that I've let the tip of the barrel drop.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
  • TadinTadin Posts: 145
    Art3mis
    I usually end up closing one eye to look down the sights and line them up.
  • thatdude90210thatdude90210 Posts: 146
    Art3mis
    edited February 14
    I thought the aiming was pretty spot on. The only time I miss is if I move the controller while pulling the trigger, just like in real life. 

Edit: Just to add that because our controllers are so light, it's easy to move when pulling the trigger. 

And btw, the gun angle is off, tilted up in relation to how it should line up. It really needs to be fixed. The games Onward and Hotdog Horseshoes... have the angle right. 
    nalex66 said:
    I've noticed the same--you really have to careful about lining up the front and rear iron sights, otherwise you'll be shooting too low or too high. Maybe it's just that the gun barrel angle to the handle doesn't quite match expectations, or maybe the shooting mechanics are just less forgiving than other games. It does seem to be realistic, though--wild-firing with a pistol is not easy to do accurately. If I miss, I check my sights and usually realize that I've let the tip of the barrel drop.
    That's what I do, just like my own Glock, however sometimes the game reflects a shot to the head and other times it doesn't. And that's at roughly the same range...10-15 ft, point blank.  In real life I don't fire at a melon size target at 10-15 ft down range and miss like this with single shots.  I swear they have an error rate built-in by distance to the target.  I think this would have been much better to simply use a laser dot or target reticule.  I noticed that they have each zombie perform evasion by stumbling, running, zig-zagging, etc., so clearly they're trying to increase the difficulty.  But there are so many survival shooters out there and they've proven you don't have to make this a die roll with each shot.
    Currently playing: Witcher 3 & DOOM | Gear: Liquid cooled MSI Z170A PC Mate | Intel i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 SDRAM 3000 Mhz | GeForce GTX 1080, Acer Predator XB241H G-Sync, Rift/Touch/3 cams.
    There is a laser sight if you put the difficulty level to Easy. It may be worth experimenting with that just to see if you still feel that the gun mechanics are off. Maybe seeing the dot will tell you more about what's going on when you shoot?
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    Hm...I did put it on easy mode and didn't see the dot...is that with all weapons like the handgun?
    Yeah, the starting pistol should definitely have a laser dot. I haven't played Easy enough to test all weapons, but I read about it and tested with the weapons that I had equipped in my current save, and all of them had the dot.
  • SkullsdirectSkullsdirect Posts: 7
    Virtual Boy (or Girl)
    Have found that the level where you travel into the dark tunnels of the mine are really tense! Prefer my zombies in the datlight where they don't sound so scary.  On a side note I'm impressed with The Unspoken too.  Can't find many players online though.  Do you think this will end up on Steam at some point to broaden the player base?
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 598
    Trinity
    still have yet to beat this game due to the height bug
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 1,537 Poster of the Week
    Arock387 said:
    still have yet to beat this game due to the height bug
    Same
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • STANGERISMSTANGERISM Posts: 29
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    The co-op campaign on this game was amazing!!! I hope more games will do full campaign in co-op it's so much better enjoying the game with a friend. This is my favorite vr game so far. Feels like an actual game and not just a demo. The tunnels were super freaky in co-op because they only give you one flashlight and the one glow stick. Awesome game!!!
    Neo
    I was in the in the mine yesterday, amazing, I spent a while just using the torch to light up my gun, turning it back and forth, so real.

They could do with some work on the free locomotion, I seem to keep getting stuck on things on the floor.

Otherwise what an amazing game. I'll have to play co-op soon sounds great.
  • n3cr0-0n3cr0-0 Posts: 137
    Art3mis
    I just simply love this game! must have beat it 50 times by now :smile:
  • WildtWildt Posts: 712 Poster of the Week
    edited February 20
    I was in the in the mine yesterday, amazing, I spent a while just using the torch to light up my gun, turning it back and forth, so real.

They could do with some work on the free locomotion, I seem to keep getting stuck on things on the floor.

Otherwise what an amazing game. I'll have to play co-op soon sounds great.
    Replayed about 2/3 of the game this weekend for the first time after the locomotion update, and I too got stuck quite a bit. The only way out was to physically walk a step or two in the right direction.

And something else that bothers me - the elevation adjustment based on the terrain under you has to be smoothed out. It's really distracting the way it instantly bumps you up when you step on a board or something.

And finally, there still something off with the aiming when the zombies are really close - I swear the tip of the gun was pretty much IN the geometry of a fred when I fired, and it still didn't register. Happened to my buddies playing as well.
    Neo
    Yes I think something is a bit amiss with accuracy of the shots. I found a lot of the issues with getting stuck were with my height. I am 6 foot 2 inches and when I ducked it let me continue. This was mainly in the mine.

Anybody else had a weird time with the sniper rifle. really awkward to use and refused to turn to shoot the people walking across the bridge.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 616 Poster of the Week
    Yes close headshots need work and this sniper rifle.

Most youtube i seen skip that after 30s of trying i think it is a good guess there will be a Arizona 2
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • WildtWildt Posts: 712 Poster of the Week
    Sniping has always worked fine for me.
  • n3cr0-0n3cr0-0 Posts: 137
    Art3mis
    edited February 20
    Sniper rifle seems to work alright for me besides the fact of tracking issues (I seem to just ignore them lately) the headshots seem on point for me.
  • TadinTadin Posts: 145
    Art3mis
    I really find it hard to hit them when they get right next to me. Shots any further than that seem very accurate but those point blank ones i often seem to miss even with the gun right next to them.

As for the Sniper rifles, i had real issues with the first one, at the train station, it was hard to pick up / move around and also the scope was very blurry, but the 2nd rifle seemed spot on, easy to handle and had a very clear view through the sight.
  • Adinsx12Adinsx12 Posts: 42
    Lawnmower Man (or Woman)
    kevink808 said:
    turning the game on easy gives you red dot sights. i thought the aiming was wonky at first too, till i turned the difficulty down for a bit to get the hang of it. try that might help
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 143
    Art3mis
    They updated it so now it has full locomotion, including smooth turning. The game is so much better now. It's far more fun and immersive. 
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 422
    Trinity
    edited February 26
    Does this game feature RPG elements like upgrades over time? Like starting off with pistols but then getting shotguns and eventually auto rifles?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 20,194 Oculus Staff
    edited February 26
    No, it doesn't have really any RPG elements. There are new weapons you find later in the game, like an SMG, but otherwise it's basically just an action game.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    PowerColor RX 480 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Neo
    edited February 27

Just finished this game. I must say hats off to the developers for such a unique well thought out game. It is not often I play games twice but the next night, started a new game and upped the difficulty, really gives me such great hopes for the FPS genre.

Loved every minute of it, Often just the small details amazing me, like looking down your gun to see how many bullets are left in the chambers (I am sure this would be a bad idea in real life), Being able to stick your gun through a small opening in barricades and taking out the zombies. Opening a door with one hand while keeping the other trained on the opening and then peering round it to look for trouble. Such natural movements in reality, lost in gaming until now with VR.

The touch really adds a new dimension to gaming, not sure I can ever go back to using the mouse in FPS ever again.

The comic voice acting and timing was also excellent.

Just as a matter of interest to anybody, I played a lot of this game sitting down with 2 cameras. Sure there were times when I had issues with picking things off the floor and moments where I lost tracking but still a pretty good experience.

I'll have to try out the co-op next. I keep saying this but If only we could have day-z type experience like this in an open world.